1999 Acura TL 4 speed ATM Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking 1999 Acura TL 4 speed ATM Engine Swap

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently searching for some information if possible. 2 years ago I bought a 99 TL (base) and the owner could not tell me how much mileage the engine has. After 2 years, the engine performance has been going down the hill(and fast). I can also hear a faint, but definitely knocking in the engine. Recently started to have issues with the water pump. I was thinking, instead of rebuilding the engine, if it would be better to swap another engine in it. After a lot of online ready, I came with 2 possible options

Either the J32A2 ( from Acura TL-S)
J35a3 (From Acura MDX)

For the J32A2 swap, I found a youtube video, in which ( in the comment section) the user/owner specified that it's a really easy swap (kinda insta bolt-on). The only thing needed is a j32a2. Link is here:
but for the J35a3, the only source I found is this one: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p...e-swap-934439/

My question is: which of these engines will be better for my Acura 99 tl 4 speed ATM . Because I'm kinda lost to which engine i should choose .
Old 06-24-2020, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Stick a vacuum hose in your ear and see if you can track down the knocking to the rear side of the power steering belt, near the bump on the timing cover. If so then your timing belt tensioner needs replaced, which often sounds like a rod knock. The snubby type tensioner doesn't fail this way, at least that's what I heard on Youtube. The water pump is in the same location, so it sounds like you may just be due for a timing belt service which would replace the tensioner, water pump and pulleys along with the belt. The tensioner thing is a grenade situation, eventually it will be bad enough that the timing belt will skip a tooth some day when you need to step on the gas, and the heads will get all bent up. Then you will want a new motor for sure.

If you really want to swap the engine, perhaps you ought to consider getting one of the more reliable transmissions at the same time.

As for the engine performance, do you get any trouble codes? Have you checked your spark plugs for not being worn to nubs? If the spark plugs don't have oil on them then the engine is probably fine, and you need to clean the throttle plate or something. You can read about seafoaming here.

Another simple test, take off the oil cap while the engine is running and see if you can hear any puff puff puff from inside. That is leaking piston rings. If there is no puff puff then your piston rings are good and you probably shouldn't worry about the engine. Burning oil, leaking rings, and a bad cat all sort of go together as signs of a worn engine. In my experience this is due to overheating a few too many times, or skipping oil changes, but most often a combination of both.

Last edited by keantoken; 06-24-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:18 PM
10th Gear

i have a few.. 1 from ASB, 1 From TCS, and 1 from the O2 sensor (the one behind cat converter). I changed the O2 sensor. Code disappeared and after a few days it came back (open loop code), but i think the connector where the o2 sensor connects may be bad.

I see your point.. I think indeed it's time to change the timing belt and tensioner because since a few days ago, my engine has started to randomly overheat. Also on top of that I'm hearing a whining noise from inside the engine, which suggests the water pump or Water Pump bearing is about to die. So since the water pump is bad, it's safe to assume the timing belt is about to give way.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,699 Likes on 6,709 Posts
whining is more typically drive-belt pulley related or alternator.. i haven't heard whining from TB bearing/tensioner, but more rattling.. That's not to say you're wrong though, just haven't heard as many cases.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:41 PM
10th Gear

Don't think Alternator since I just installed a new one ( old one started to whine really bad and was not putting enough amps to the battery). and YESS!!! i also have that rattling noise.. I thought it may be the serpentine belt tensioner, but my mechanic disagrees... I decided to order a new water pump with new Timing belt and tensioner, also all the TB bearings and a new serpentine belt pully with tensioner.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,699 Likes on 6,709 Posts
best way to diagnose is with a stethoscope and put it on each pulley to hear if it's grinding, or pop off the drive belt and manually move each pulley to ensure no tension.
The following users liked this post:
Rainier Gaari (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Here I posted the sound I get from my 99 TL, I think it's the timing belt tensioner, but soon I will replace it to confirm.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16590800

In later posts there are some videos with rod knock. Youtube has videos where the tensioner is really bad and knocks like crazy.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:55 AM
10th Gear

. Indeed, It sounds to me like T.B tensioner is bad. I'll be replacing that as soon as my new order arrives. (along with T.B and water pump since I'm getting random moments that my car almost overheats, then the temperature gauge rapidly drops back to its normal temperature (almost in an instant). The radiator(brand new) is full of coolant, )
Old 06-25-2020, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Sounds like a bad temperature sensor connection. I believe the temperature sensor is below the throttle plate sticking up out of the coolant outlet manifold. Check the connectors that are there and the wiring. You can see the actual coolant temperature by pointing an IR thermometer at the coolant outlet hose.

Another possibility is that your cooling system hasn't been properly bled and there are air bubbles moving around inside.