03 TLS running like crap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:36 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 TLS running like crap.

03 TLS w/o navi

If I completly baby it , I get like less than 200miles per tank.

It feels slow too , raced a 98 stock maxima se 5 speed manual, barely got a half a car on him.
Raced a 03 I35 , he completey ****ing obliterated me , 3-4 cars , 2 people total in my car , 3 total in that , 10tq and a bit less weight still doesent add up to the outcome. Considering he outright raped me.
Dealership checked all the fuel settings and the 02 sensor said everything was fine.
Tonight raced a 1.8t beetle , 150hp , 162tq , only got 2 cars on him.

Any ideas on wtf could be wrong, im starting hate this car. Also I just had the 30,000 checkup and it they didnt find any problems.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Banned

Driving Lessons??? :p

J/K... If you do a search, those car's have been raced, and someone actually video taped it, with the TL non type S comming out on top, with some mods done to it. Even the mods wouldnt give it the extra 40HP that the TLS automatically has.

And isn't 2 car legnths a lot when winning a race??
Old 01-19-2004, 11:13 PM
7th Gear

Originally posted by NYDesi80
Driving Lessons??? :p

J/K... If you do a search, those car's have been raced, and someone actually video taped it, with the TL non type S comming out on top, with some mods done to it. Even the mods wouldnt give it the extra 40HP that the TLS automatically has.

And isn't 2 car legnths a lot when winning a race??
The beetle is bright red with 17in rims , I was expecting straight out rape. Like atleast 5 cars.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Better get an SC.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Banned

Take it to a performance shop and let them tune it for you, as something doesn't sound right. However, a 5 car length win is not all that bad. I have a high performance Vette and I'm happy with a 1-2 car length win considering we are talking about 10-11 second 1/4 mile times.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 AM

The problem is that your babying it to much. You need to open up the engine. The ecu learns your driving style and then when you want to race someone its confused and still trying to baby the engine. I baby my car but every now and then I will open it up in 2nd and 3rd just to remind it...

Try that and then go race them again...
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seriously, I've heard that sometimes something in the engine will learn your driving habits. That's why when I'm in the car with my dad sometimes, I'll tell him too open up on someone, too show them just what the TL-S is made of. Anyways, I think that it's true. The car does learn your driving habits. Sometimes I drive the car for a day really really gently, but every now and then, I'll be going 35 km/h in SS mode, which essentially puts me in 2nd gear, then I'll gunn it right to the floor, and hear VTEC work its magic, just as a reminder to the car, that it's still me, the insane A-Spec_Racer driving her around :P
Old 01-20-2004, 08:44 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by Mr
The problem is that your babying it to much. You need to open up the engine. The ecu learns your driving style and then when you want to race someone its confused and still trying to baby the engine. I baby my car but every now and then I will open it up in 2nd and 3rd just to remind it...

Try that and then go race them again...
The thing is that I dont baby it. Its like it possessed or something. There are times that If I baby it ill get ****ty gas mileage , ill tear **** up and it gets better gas mileage. With just regular driving I still get about 200-240 miles per tank which seems off to me.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by arkady151
The thing is that I dont baby it. Its like it possessed or something. There are times that If I baby it ill get ****ty gas mileage , ill tear **** up and it gets better gas mileage. With just regular driving I still get about 200-240 miles per tank which seems off to me.
are you doing mostly city driving? I can tell you that I do basically 99% city driving and my mileage stinks also. Not too mention that I like to open her up once in a while.

I can tell you that I recently filled up 22.1L of gas, and I got 153 km on that, which translates to about 14.7L/100km.

That converts to exactly 16MPG. I don't know if this is terrible, but too me it seems pretty average for an aggressive driver in the city.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 AM
TL-S driver

were you driving in SS mode or fully auto? That makes a big difference. You want to race in SS mode so you can stay in 2nd and 3rd longer.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM

If all else fails!
1) Put your car in D1 (do not sportshift)-->D2-->D3-->D4 . Make sure u dont hit the rev limiter. Practice your shifts.

2)Stomp on your brake(hold it), press the accelerator(pedal to the metal) and let your torque converter warm up.

3) U want to do this about 5 - 10 seconds before u get flagged to race..

4) Once u get the green signal, u let go of your brake and watch your RPM's because 1st gear goes pretty quick. You will notice when manually shifting from 1st to 2nd it allows you to rev all the way up to redline unlike sportshift. ( This first gear is where most TL's lose, because we are such heavy cars )

This is the best method PROVEN.

Ive defeated many cars that I previously lost to using the gateshifting method. I have a 2000tl-p w/ CAI and Pullies.

Some unexpecting rape victims :

CL-S ( this guy always used sportshift and was dumbfounded when i started to beat him all of a sudden) Off the line i would rape him 1 car... and he would slowly start to inch his way up... but we never reach over 90mph..

BMW 540i on 20' rims hehe Dead even race. I used to get raped by this guy in 2nd gear. Those 540's are faaaaast! Id say fair race up till about 110mph... then theres no replacement for displacement...

I35 - Exactly same result as the CL-S except he coulnt catch up...
Left him maybe 1 1/2 cars behind when he let off and gave up. Very nice car tho. I like.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cars U dont wanna race! Unless you own TL-S w/ I/H/E

2004 Maxima w/ intake - Ok that thing is a beast. It put me on the victim list. beat me by almost 2 cars... off the line dead even.

2004 V6 Altima w/intake headers exhaust 6 speed. - Beat me by 2 car lengths off the line had me by a car... crazy bastard had the nerve to pull me over after the race and ask me if i was running nitrous... i told him nah... I guess he was trying to impress me. he starts to brag about how hes getting 150 shot direct port:wow: Hoping to run low 13's.... (big bald fat dorky lookn guy LOL) i gave him the thumbs up on his sled. Told him hes gotta be nuts to put 150 shot on a 30k family sedan LOL.

Supercharged Solara manual tranny.- OMFG. All i saw was his oversized tin cannister so i figured why not... BAD MOVE. The second he went WOT all you could hear was this SICK whining noise, sounded sweet! Especially him blowing by me... at least 5 car lengths LOL.

Turbo Beetle - Wow i didnt know they made a 1.8t beetle:wow: Guy had simple bolt ons... he would pull on me off the line and i could never catch up... 2 car lengths and closing @ 80mph. I got beat by a GUY driving a VW BEETLE LOL!.

323 Mazda Turbo - Smaller than the beetle and faster ... all i gotta say LOL.

Pontiac GTP- Stay away!

Integra Gsr- I/H/E and its an even race. Anything else added to that GSR and its over...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by Edr0e

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cars U dont wanna race! Unless you own TL-S w/ I/H/E

2004 Maxima w/ intake - Ok that thing is a beast. It put me on the victim list. beat me by almost 2 cars... off the line dead even.
Beat an automatic one from 0-100 by 2 (possibly a bit more) cars. It was fully broken in and was stock.

Beat a manual from 20-100 by half a car. He lined up next to me at a light and at first I didn't do anything. When he peeled out and got a car on me, I slapped it into SS and took off. I pulled slightly throughout and had half a car on him when I reached 100. Anything above 115 he would have got me because of the 6-speed.

2004 V6 Altima w/intake headers exhaust 6 speed. - Beat me by 2 car lengths off the line had me by a car... crazy bastard had the nerve to pull me over after the race and ask me if i was running nitrous... i told him nah... I guess he was trying to impress me. he starts to brag about how hes getting 150 shot direct port:wow: Hoping to run low 13's.... (big bald fat dorky lookn guy LOL) i gave him the thumbs up on his sled. Told him hes gotta be nuts to put 150 shot on a 30k family sedan LOL.
Took a stock automatic v6 Altima (black with gold package) 40-110. Had 2 cars on him when we shut it down.

Supercharged Solara manual tranny.- OMFG. All i saw was his oversized tin cannister so i figured why not... BAD MOVE. The second he went WOT all you could hear was this SICK whining noise, sounded sweet! Especially him blowing by me... at least 5 car lengths LOL.
Never raced a SC'ed Solara and didn't know they were fast. Thanks for the warning.

Turbo Beetle - Wow i didnt know they made a 1.8t beetle:wow: Guy had simple bolt ons... he would pull on me off the line and i could never catch up... 2 car lengths and closing @ 80mph. I got beat by a GUY driving a VW BEETLE LOL!.
A 0-100 sprint with a manual Beetle Turbo S and I had 2.5 cars on him. It didn't seem as fast as the guy was bragging it was.

323 Mazda Turbo - Smaller than the beetle and faster ... all i gotta say LOL.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing as a Mazdaspeed Protege (turbocharged 4 cyl) but those run the 1/4 in mid 15's. Regardless, they should be slower than a stock TLP (225hp) and definitely the TLS (260hp). Never raced one before but got to see two of them at last weeks Import Meet in Nashville.

Pontiac GTP- Stay away!
The older generation GTPs:
Never raced a modded one but stock they have horrible mid to high end. This one cut me off after taking off from a stop light. Gotta love that low end torque. He gets infront of me and we get on the highway. The idiot crosses all 3 lanes of the highway thinking he's driving a Corvette and I can't pass him. I just slide right past him as he watches helplessly.

Integra Gsr- I/H/E and its an even race. Anything else added to that GSR and its over...
Never raced one but my friend had one. It's an awesome car. Love the sound of the engine and the 8000 rpm shifts Never ran him but he's been in my car and tells me that it is much faster for sure. He might get me under 50 mph though because the gearing is very nice.

---------------------------------------------
BTW, all these runs were before I put in my Icebox. My car was stock. Ofcourse I've wisened up since then and don't race every fast car out there anymore.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
IMRC might be broken. If it is, then VTEC can't function. I mean, the mechanicals will still work, but it won't have the necessary extra amount of air.

Have it checked out. Quite a few people on this board have complained in the past of robbed horsepower and very often it turned out to be a defective IMRC.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:54 PM
7th Gear

What would be the optimal shift points , since max hp is made at 6100rmp would that be it?

IMRC
Whats the full defenition of this and what does it do?
Vtec definetly works though dont know if it does to full extent though.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
IMRC might be broken. If it is, then VTEC can't function. I mean, the mechanicals will still work, but it won't have the necessary extra amount of air.

Have it checked out. Quite a few people on this board have complained in the past of robbed horsepower and very often it turned out to be a defective IMRC.
Could you explain more of this IMRC? :o
Old 01-21-2004, 08:40 AM

I had a broken throttlebody... Caused my TCS / Check engine light to come on. My car was in "safe mode" and would not rev over 3500 rpm. If your car changes gears before u hit vtec (approx . 4200rpm ) then this might be the case.

Optimal Shifting point is 200-400 rpm before redline... Give your tranny some space and time to shift properly.

Wow vandy- thats one fast TL ya got there Maybe you got one of the faster TL's out of the factory

But yah ive raced KappaBoi before.. He's got a 2002 TL-S Black w/ injen CAI. We were dead even off the line but then around 70-80ish he pulled on me. By about 95mph he was almost a carlength ahead and I let off We ran twice same result.

Goes to show that the TL-P is just as quick off the line, just the extra 40 hp ( larger piping/ higher compression/ bigger throttlebody) really helps the TL- Type S shine in the end.

BTW. Maxima 6 speed is a beast. so is Altima 6 speed modded.
I would say TL-S and New Max STOCK FOR STOCK dead even.
TL-S and 6 speed altima stock for stock ...tl-s on the freeway.
323 Mazda is the old school hatchback early eighties...
Supercharged Solara will smoke GTP
And the beetle weighs soooo much less than a TL-S i dont understand how u beat him off the line? audi 1.8t or 1.8T Jetta is believable, but a beetle
Old 01-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
IMRC stands for Intake Manifold Runner Control.

At approximately 4500 RPM, it flips over, switching into secondary intake mode. This allows for more air coming in, which is necessary for VTEC to function properly.

Like I said, several people on the forums (including other Acura forums) have had their IMRC break, and they noticed decreased performance. You need to go the dealership, complain about the loss of power and hint that the IMRC might be broken.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Dr. TLS

I had a broken throttlebody... Caused my TCS / Check engine light to come on. My car was in "safe mode" and would not rev over 3500 rpm. If your car changes gears before u hit vtec (approx . 4200rpm ) then this might be the case.

Optimal Shifting point is 200-400 rpm before redline... Give your tranny some space and time to shift properly.

Wow vandy- thats one fast TL ya got there Maybe you got one of the faster TL's out of the factory

But yah ive raced KappaBoi before.. He's got a 2002 TL-S Black w/ injen CAI. We were dead even off the line but then around 70-80ish he pulled on me. By about 95mph he was almost a carlength ahead and I let off We ran twice same result.

Goes to show that the TL-P is just as quick off the line, just the extra 40 hp ( larger piping/ higher compression/ bigger throttlebody) really helps the TL- Type S shine in the end.

BTW. Maxima 6 speed is a beast. so is Altima 6 speed modded.
I would say TL-S and New Max STOCK FOR STOCK dead even.
TL-S and 6 speed altima stock for stock ...tl-s on the freeway.
323 Mazda is the old school hatchback early eighties...
Supercharged Solara will smoke GTP
And the beetle weighs soooo much less than a TL-S i dont understand how u beat him off the line? audi 1.8t or 1.8T Jetta is believable, but a beetle
Right on Edroe! I've raced a TL with similar results. The TLP hangs with me until 50mph but after that the difference is pretty noticeable. About the Beetle, I don't think he beat me off the line. It was in his favor slightly but takeoff was about the same. They are FWD correct?
Old 01-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Racer

just bout to...

I was just about to post the issue about gas milage on the forum. Well its not really an issue for me. I have been getting like 350miles per Tank. I do occasion racing<--- rarely or I will step on it a little harder when I want to pass up cars. I maxed out at 365 before the light came on today. I dont know what is going to the car but I like it. I have to drive 40 miles total everyday to and from school. From a tank, I drive half freeway and half local. I have the icebox and it is suppose to increase gas milage but I dont think its by that much. Have you been getting your oil change and your filter cleaned out. I took it to jiffy lube my last time around because I didnt have time to take it to the dealer. Ever since then I have been getting some crazy ass milage. I dont know what you want to make of it but I guess take it to a different place to get your oil change and slam on a icebox or an Intake.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Z Factor
Take it to a performance shop and let them tune it for you, as something doesn't sound right. However, a 5 car length win is not all that bad. I have a high performance Vette and I'm happy with a 1-2 car length win considering we are talking about 10-11 second 1/4 mile times.
Yup. If you 90% of time only go the speed limit or 10 miles above it will be very difficult when it comes to racing. It stalls before it takes off. You gotta put the petal to the metal of the floor baby more often. Whewww I love the power of my TL-S.