03 TL Transmission "pulse" between 20 - 30 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:03 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 TL Transmission "pulse" between 20 - 30 mph

I've had my 2003 TL for just under 1.5 years and have recently noticed a perculiar feeling when the car shifts between 20 - 30 mph. It seems to pulse as if I were pushing on the gas peddal very quickly. This only lasts from a couple seconds at the most - it is very brief. Sort of like going over smooth but lumpy pavement. I assume that the car is shifting between 3rd and 4th gear when this occurs.

The car has only 28,000 miles and I do mostly city driving. Note that this problem only occurs some times - not all the time. My mechanic suggested that it is the electronic shifting control getting a confused. I'm not so sure that I agree.

While there has been much written about transmission problems with this car I have not seen any threads that describe this problem. Can anyone shed any light on what might be going on? Is this the beginning of the end for my trans? I sure hope not!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Instructor

I would check your motor mounts tranny fluid first then diagnose the tranny, the way you describe it sounds like the tranny is slipping slightly, our tranny's can go out at any time regardless on how the way you drive
Old 08-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opinion is that it's slipping between 2-3. I had this problem before. The dealership said they couldn't replicate the problem. Changed the tranny fluid, then 1-2 months later. The car is throwing CELs like crazy. New tranny immediately, shaking went away. Now after about 3 years, I'm getting it again. I'm going to have them replace the fluid again and hopefully the tranny fails and I can get a new one before the warranty is up.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
why waste money on a fluid change- just go back and ask for the head tech to take a quick ride around the block with you.
If they dont feel it now---you know what shortens the lifespan~
Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
why waste money on a fluid change- just go back and ask for the head tech to take a quick ride around the block with you.
If they dont feel it now---you know what shortens the lifespan~
What? Im still ridin the original tranny and i want a new one just because. I know it was recalled and the recall is good for 110,000 miles\90 months. So i figure id wait till 100k, get it checked (possibly beat it up for the last 2-5k), and get a new one. So thats the reason for my question "what shortens the lifespan"?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

not exactly..............
the RECALL was for installation of an external oil jet sprayer kit and included
a boroscope exam of the gears and shaft inside the trans.
If they are burned, its trans replacement- free.

The court ordered WARRANTY EXTENSION is 7 years PLUS 9 months, or 109k miles, whichever occurs first with some cars now covered to 114.5!!
A late production 03 is not automatically covered!! you must check to be sure
They picked a mid year cutoff VIN number to close the court case- it does NOT mean the trans prob was fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many experience a failure after a machine forced fluid change or even the proper drain and refill method.
Perhaps it was the old goop holding friction on the 2nd gear clutches, and when thats washed away.... the true condition of the trans is revealed!
soon after- flashing lights, delayed engagement or slipping on accelleration, and more!!!

to know if you are covered, register with acura by VIN- look in Recall section
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx

If you have any of the known symptoms as described at acura.com- get to the dealer now!!
dont wait- it can get serious, and downshift into 2nd on the freeway- very exciting experience.
If the RECALL for oil sprayer was never done- there could be damage to the shaft and it can and does SNAP while on the freeway-
now thats really exciting for the person behind you~
Also call 1-800-382-2238 x5, register as owner there and ask about recalls and warranty extensions on your car-
Some 03 get a free timing belt and tensioner!!! pay them to do the water pump and the 105 service is nearly free as a result
If you have that recall get it done- or the engine can be damaged $$$$$
And its not acura fault you didnt heed a recall and bring it in
Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

RECALLS are govt mandated SAFETY related issue- repairs- NOT a warranty coverage for when it fails type thing for you to take care of when you feel like it.

On gen3- they have power steering hose can leak and spray flammable fluid directly on the hot exhaust- result== Carbeque

They issue RECALLs for a reason- even have a website dedicated to looking up any car or product for Recalls....
Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
I got the jet kit done but I was skeptical since i never got to see any of the pictures they took inside my tranny. They were remodeling the lobby and said they couldnt save any pictures on the computer. Maybe I could have gotten a free tranny but instead they just slapped on the jet kit. how do i know?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Because the tech looked at the tv monitor on his toolbench and saw no blue discoloration, so it was still fine
If it needed tran replacing- acura pays the dealer to do it- they are not out to deny anyone-so it gets replaced!
Why do people still think the dealer wants to screw you out of warranty work?

Some units needed replacement on the spot- others just needed the extra oiler to help that same gearshaft.
Mine lasted another 35 after the kit install- and then I got a replacement trans at 70

If your trans feels funny- has any of the known symptoms as listed by acura- get it in and checked- even if its ok now, it documents a concern- in case it fails after the warranty expires- makes it easier to get you goodwill coverage
Old 08-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Oh, its just that I heard somewhere dealers dont get paid for warranty work.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Team Owner

thats bs
there is the retail customer labor rate of say $125 per hour
then the internal rate the shop charges sales dept. for work, say 100 per hr
then what acura pays the dealer for warranty labor- $60 per hour

Of course they like retail jobs- but warranty is better than no work at all.
Acura pays for the parts and the labor- the dealer is not `out of pocket` other than they give you a loaner car- thats at the dealers option and expense to do so and in Ca you must be 25
Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Intermediate

not exactly..............
the RECALL was for installation of an external oil jet sprayer kit and included
a boroscope exam of the gears and shaft inside the trans.
If they are burned, its trans replacement- free.

The court ordered WARRANTY EXTENSION is 7 years PLUS 9 months, or 109k miles, whichever occurs first with some cars now covered to 114.5!!
A late production 03 is not automatically covered!! you must check to be sure
They picked a mid year cutoff VIN number to close the court case- it does NOT mean the trans prob was fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many experience a failure after a machine forced fluid change or even the proper drain and refill method.
Perhaps it was the old goop holding friction on the 2nd gear clutches, and when thats washed away.... the true condition of the trans is revealed!
soon after- flashing lights, delayed engagement or slipping on accelleration, and more!!!

to know if you are covered, register with acura by VIN- look in Recall section
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx

If you have any of the known symptoms as described at acura.com- get to the dealer now!!
dont wait- it can get serious, and downshift into 2nd on the freeway- very exciting experience.
If the RECALL for oil sprayer was never done- there could be damage to the shaft and it can and does SNAP while on the freeway-
now thats really exciting for the person behind you~
Also call 1-800-382-2238 x5, register as owner there and ask about recalls and warranty extensions on your car-
Some 03 get a free timing belt and tensioner!!! pay them to do the water pump and the 105 service is nearly free as a result
If you have that recall get it done- or the engine can be damaged $$$$$
And its not acura fault you didnt heed a recall and bring it in
Originally Posted by roxburydog
What? Im still ridin the original tranny and i want a new one just because. I know it was recalled and the recall is good for 110,000 miles\90 months. So i figure id wait till 100k, get it checked (possibly beat it up for the last 2-5k), and get a new one. So thats the reason for my question "what shortens the lifespan"?

I think i did all that. Once i heard about the recall i went to that same site, entered my VIN and they said my sh*t was recalled. Now i get a lil slip here and there so im wonderin if i should take it in. But i dont want an oil jet(which prompted the recall), I want a new tranny. How do I get one? I figure i'll have my mounts changed if they swap it out, and the valves adjusted(it sounds like a diesel right now). I got like 85000 in her and otherwise shes good but a new tranny on a Honda/Acura is a new tranny on a Honda/Acura!!! Who don't want that?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kahuna44
I've had my 2003 TL for just under 1.5 years and have recently noticed a perculiar feeling when the car shifts between 20 - 30 mph. It seems to pulse as if I were pushing on the gas peddal very quickly. This only lasts from a couple seconds at the most - it is very brief. Sort of like going over smooth but lumpy pavement. I assume that the car is shifting between 3rd and 4th gear when this occurs.

The car has only 28,000 miles and I do mostly city driving. Note that this problem only occurs some times - not all the time. My mechanic suggested that it is the electronic shifting control getting a confused. I'm not so sure that I agree.

While there has been much written about transmission problems with this car I have not seen any threads that describe this problem. Can anyone shed any light on what might be going on? Is this the beginning of the end for my trans? I sure hope not!

I had the exact thing going on for last few weeks. I describe it as a"shuddering" as it changed from 3 into 4th. I did the 3 x times drain and fill with Honda fluid and added a "tranny magic fix" for good measure. It has stopped the shuddering and shifts are smooth again. I am very concerned however that this is only temporary. The original tranny was replaced by first owner at 60K miles. Car has ~122k miles now.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Because the tech looked at the tv monitor on his toolbench and saw no blue discoloration, so it was still fine
If it needed tran replacing- acura pays the dealer to do it- they are not out to deny anyone-so it gets replaced!
Why do people still think the dealer wants to screw you out of warranty work?

Some units needed replacement on the spot- others just needed the extra oiler to help that same gearshaft.
Mine lasted another 35 after the kit install- and then I got a replacement trans at 70

If your trans feels funny- has any of the known symptoms as listed by acura- get it in and checked- even if its ok now, it documents a concern- in case it fails after the warranty expires- makes it easier to get you goodwill coverage
because it does happen. my 02 CL has had FOUR transmission fluid changes in the last 30K, intermittent d5 light blinking but yet here i am still with the same POS transmission.........
Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Experienced the "shudder" for first time after my fluid change.
I'm very concerned.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I think i did all that. Once i heard about the recall i went to that same site, entered my VIN and they said my sh*t was recalled. Now i get a lil slip here and there so im wonderin if i should take it in. But i dont want an oil jet(which prompted the recall), I want a new tranny. How do I get one? I figure i'll have my mounts changed if they swap it out, and the valves adjusted(it sounds like a diesel right now). I got like 85000 in her and otherwise shes good but a new tranny on a Honda/Acura is a new tranny on a Honda/Acura!!! Who don't want that?
YOU need to understand there are 2 Trans problems. 1 is what the oil jet is for. That problem is the recall and never happens(i dont know of any one on this forum that has had this problem cause their trans to break) the 2nd one is the 3rd gear clutch pack. You do WANT the oil jet. If that part breaks (for what the oil jet is for) you dont drive the car to safety you skid with no control to where ever you stop. If there is nothing wrong with your trans you dont get a new one. Dont go looking for ways to try to get one.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

damn you must beat that poor car to death.........valve adjustment is not required until 120K
Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Forgot to mention in my post above. I experienced the shudder after a relatively short run on the freeway at ~75 MPH, exited to offramp and felt it after leaving the stop sign.
I had not run over 60 MPH since I had the fluid changed, so I have to assume the extra heat buildup at 75 MPH is related.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

I started experiencing the same thing. I'm wandering if I should take it in. I'm hesitant because it only happens about once or twice a day. I'm not lucky enough to have it happen when the tech takes a test drive so they are probably just going to give it right back and say that it is OK. I'm pretty sure that I'm covered for another year and so because the car was certified when I bought it. So even thogh I may not be in the VIN range (I did not check) the cerified part had 7years/100k warranty. Here is a question (or two):

1) Once shuttering occurs, what are the chances of the computer recordding an event so that the scab can pick it up.
2) Any advice on reproducing the event on demand would be appreciaated. I tried everything. Low speed acceleration, hard acceleration, downshifting by accelerating hard, manual shifting. So I have not been able to reproduce it on demand. It just happens randomly.

Any help/advice would be appreciated
Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You have officially scared me! I am taking my car to my mechanic on Friday for various issues... and while I was there I was planning on getting the fluid changed since it's been about 15,000 miles since the last flush. What gives man?!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Update//only that one shudder..since August.