01' CL Type S Engine shuts down when put into Reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' CL Type S Engine shuts down when put into Reverse?

When i start the car up, and put it into reverse to back out, the whole engine just shuts down...but the radio and accessories remain on.it Twice again I repeat...start up...put into reverse, then it shuts down.... On the Fourth attempt to Start it up, reverse then works, put into drive and go out to get coffee and gas...I turn the corner out of my neighborhood...and as I approach the gas station to fill up, it dies again as I turn into the gas station... I had a half-full tank. I left the car running while I got coffee and gas, get home. I shut down the car...and before going inside I turn the car off, and then restart it...goes into reverse and drive without any problems.

Go inside, get ready for work, come back 3 hours later, the car has cooled down...it's 40 degrees here...I start up the car, and the same scenario happens. I'm afraid to drive it far from my house and I plan to take the car to acura tomorrow again. I'm using my sister's Liberty today for work.

The problem happened only 3 days after I had my seatbelt fixed, my gearboxed cleaned from a coke spill, and my suspension inspected at the Acura dealership in my town. Do you think they could have caused a short by doing these things? Prior to this instance, the only problems i had with the vehicle were the seatbelt, sport shift was sticking because of coke, and i though my suspension was having a problem, but they determined it was not.

I do have aftermarket speakers, headunit, sub and amp all professionally installed, have worked fine for over 4 months and they all stay on after the car shuts down.

Anyone experience this before or have any ideas what may be wrong?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Racer

I'm no expert, but I would think something got screwed up in the console when the dealer was cleaning out the Coke. Might be as simple as a loose wire or who knows?? Just my but I would look in that direction.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tl-s4now
I'm no expert, but I would think something got screwed up in the console when the dealer was cleaning out the Coke. Might be as simple as a loose wire or who knows?? Just my but I would look in that direction.

Thanks...I thought that may be an area of focus because there are so many wires there...

I just noticed that right beneath my battery in the engine compartment there is a length of exposed copper wire that is covered in blue and green from a reaction with water...Do you think this could be the problem?