00 TL & ipod

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 TL & ipod

How can I connect my Ipod to my stock radio setup?

I noticed newer honda/acura's can have an OEM add-on where the ipod is in the glove box and can be controled with the steering wheel controls.

Can we do this with my 00TL?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Blitzsafe, icelink
Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Blitzsafe, icelink
Do these allow me to use my controls on the steering wheel to advance the track?

It seems blitzsafe will disable my CD player. Am I wrong?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...N&i=581PA11HON

^^get this, you can still keep all the factory controls and it works great, no problems. dont get the Blitzsafe, icelink etc....
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Race Director

I have an Ismiple that I got at bestbuy. It works awesome and it gives you control of your ipod from your steering wheel.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rob-2
Do these allow me to use my controls on the steering wheel to advance the track?

It seems blitzsafe will disable my CD player. Am I wrong?
The Blitzsafe adapters do not disable your OEM CD player. You just press the "CD" button on your radio to toggle between the CD player and your iPod.

I have one of these in my 1999 TL mated to one of the OEM 6-disc players that came with the 2002-2003 TL and it works great.

Also, once you have an iPod hooked up to your radio you'll probably find that you hardly ever use your CD player. That was my experience and many other forum members have reported the same thing.

The Blitzsafe will not allow you to jump to the next track with the steering wheel button but that hasn't been a big deal for me. I usually sit my iPod in the beverage holder and it's easy to skip tracks via the iPod itself.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

just buy the cassette adapter, its under 30 bucks and the sound is decent.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChampionFiyah

^^get this, you can still keep all the factory controls and it works great, no problems. dont get the Blitzsafe, icelink etc....
That looks like a good option, has anyone done a DIY on it?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Race Director

Hear is how I have mine set up but I figure most would work like this too.

In the pic you can see that I have my cord coming out of my wood paneling. I ran the cord from the radio into the center console.

Then I ran it through the whole that connects the center console to the cupholders and just rest my IPOD there.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 03aspec
just buy the cassette adapter, its under 30 bucks and the sound is decent.
Doesnt sound as good, not every one gets the tape to work properly, and no where near as clean looking.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

lol sall good... I'm still primitive i guess, i use cd's... the only ipod i have is an ipod mini thats currently being used as a paper weight lol.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Nighthawk Black Pearl

This is what I have and it works great. It is not that hard to install. All I did was take off my glove box (while you have that off if you haven't already then you should change your cabin air filters at the same time. There is a DIY Here for it). Take off the passenger side panel to get to the back of the radio and just reach back there and plug the adapter in. I have big hands and I did it so I'm sure you can also.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manapuaman

This is what I have and it works great. It is not that hard to install. All I did was take off my glove box (while you have that off if you haven't already then you should change your cabin air filters at the same time. There is a DIY Here for it). Take off the passenger side panel to get to the back of the radio and just reach back there and plug the adapter in. I have big hands and I did it so I'm sure you can also.
How does this set up work for you? Can you skip tracks from the steering wheel? How do you know what is playing? How do you change play lists?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Where did you plug it in? How do you switch to ipod mode? Where did you put the bulky unit?

Just trying to peg the details down before I buy something.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Race Director

I have heard some bad things about the USA SPEC. There was a thread here about some members having problems.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650467149
I have this one and I love it. This paticular one is overpriced mine was 50 bucks cheaper. You plug it in to the back of the radio. The buckly unit goes behind the radio. You switch into Ipod mode by pushing CD twice. I am pretty sure the USA spec works the same way. there is a DIY somewhere.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Race Director

http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf

There is how you take out your radio. That is for a CL but it works the same for the TL.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Nighthawk Black Pearl

How does this set up work for you? Can you skip tracks from the steering wheel? How do you know what is playing? How do you change play lists?
It works great for me. The Ice link I hear is the one that people are having problems with. I was looking at the group buy and I asked about it and they stop making it for 2nd gen TL's because of the problems.

http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf

These instructions are ok but like I said it's too much work and if you take off the glove box and passenger side kick panel you will see the area behind the radio to plug the adapter in to the radio. Page 17 of the above link shows where to plug it into.

I can skip tracks form the steering wheel or my IPod. I dont use play lists but if you do then you can use up to 5 play lists and change them by using the channel buttons on the radio. I know whats playing by looking on my IPod. I hid the unit under my passengers seat. I switch to I Pod mode by pressing the CD button on the radio.

Hope this helps some.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Great, thanks for all the info. I'm looking into getting another IPOD and connector for our TL. I'm so tired of not being able to play burned discs.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Newb

I purchased the USA spec from crutchfield, installed it, and then removed it and returned it in favor of a Blitzsafe unit. I was excited to keep my factory controls with the ipod however, my old ipod nano had too new of firmware to work with the controls so I had to use it in external control mode, which the blitzsafe unit does for nearly half the price. I say go with the blitzsafe, it is economical, works well, and charges the ipod still. You just have to use your ipod to select your songs or playlists as you like. Not that big a deal I dont think...

-Tim
Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tim67580
I purchased the USA spec from crutchfield, installed it, and then removed it and returned it in favor of a Blitzsafe unit. I was excited to keep my factory controls with the ipod however, my old ipod nano had too new of firmware to work with the controls so I had to use it in external control mode, which the blitzsafe unit does for nearly half the price. I say go with the blitzsafe, it is economical, works well, and charges the ipod still. You just have to use your ipod to select your songs or playlists as you like. Not that big a deal I dont think...

-Tim
Tim,

What is the newest firmware they will take with the USA Spec system and get the deck controls?

I'm looking to buy a system and an Ipod that I use just for the car. I am leaning towards tucking the ipod in either the glove box or the center console - instead of having it in view.

Rob
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Drifting

....I am leaning towards tucking the ipod in either the glove box or the center console - instead of having it in view.

Rob
Great idea. You absolutely don't want to have it in view. In fact, you don't want any evidence that there might be an ipod hidden from view. That's why I routed my Blitzsafe cable within my center console.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Instructor

I've got the Blitzsafe unit in both my TL and 98 Accord. Both work flawlessly and I don't mind controlling the songs from the iPod itself. Sound output is great.

And to rob-2 who stated "I'm so tired of not being able to play burned discs." .....are you sure the tracks were converted to cda files? I've been making copies of store bought CDs and making my own mixes (converted MP3s to CDA) for several years and have had no problems with playback in OE Honda/Acura CD players....
Old 05-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mestizoracer310
I've got the Blitzsafe unit in both my TL and 98 Accord. Both work flawlessly and I don't mind controlling the songs from the iPod itself. Sound output is great.

And to rob-2 who stated "I'm so tired of not being able to play burned discs." .....are you sure the tracks were converted to cda files? I've been making copies of store bought CDs and making my own mixes (converted MP3s to CDA) for several years and have had no problems with playback in OE Honda/Acura CD players....
The single disc players used in the 1999-2001 TLs have a long history of problems playing burned CD-Rs. Some owners have been able to get around this via different burning techniques or the use of a particular brand/type of blank media. But others have been unable to get burned CD-Rs to work no matter what they've tried. There appear to have been unit to unit differences and what works for one particular unit will not work for another.

I had this problem with the OEM player in my 1999 TL. The unit worked perfectly in every way except for playing burned CDs. I ended up installing the OEM 6-disc player from a 2002-2003 TL and that has no problems with burned CDs.

Of course, once I started using my iPod via the Blitzsafe adapter I found that I hardly ever use the CD player. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have kept my original head unit and just bought the Blitzsafe adapter.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mestizoracer310

I've horsed around with different discs and different burn options. Nothing really works well. The best I can get is it'll start to play from the first track, but once you turn the car off or try to jump tracks it's all over. Back to track 1. That for me is a real bother.

I've found a 40GB Ipod for $180, it's a 3 or 4th Gen classic and I've sourced an audio setup for the car at about $120. I need to make some calls though, if the units don't allow for full deck control it's a waste for me. I want to tuck the ipod away and only pull it out to update the playlists/music.

There is also another motive for this, my wife is filling up the car with CD's she likes and putting the discs back in the house I like. We go on a road trip and we'll we have a problem with the music.

So I'm just waiting for a free $300 before I bite the bullet, if anyone has an Ipod/Harness they want to sell me and are in the Bay Area I would be interested in picking it up. PM me with details.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I have an Ismiple that I got at bestbuy. It works awesome and it gives you control of your ipod from your steering wheel.
I went to the link you gave but it doesn't say it's compatible with 1999-2000 models. Only works with 2004+ TL models. Is this not true on their ad?
Old 05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

Also what about this unit? It's only said to be for 98-04 Honda but I didn't see one for acura but I'm assuming it's the same since all I saw for Toyata also and nothing for Lexus???
Old 05-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by plaza80
I went to the link you gave but it doesn't say it's compatible with 1999-2000 models. Only works with 2004+ TL models. Is this not true on their ad?
Hm I am honestly not sure because mine lists our model year.

You can also go to www.peripheralelectronics.com

Mine says model ISAS71.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Racer

i dont think i'm gonna buy a usaspec because i can do without the steering wheel controls, I rather use the ipod to change tracks, make playlist etc.. so i'm just gonna buy this one to save money; http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s..._MLINK1_1.html, i heard that playing music using this direct ipod method yelds even better cleaner sound quality then CD's
Old 05-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Racer

I plan to install this BlitzSafe unit behind my radio and run the ipod wire through my center console, I will just sit my nano in my cup holders,
Old 05-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Race Director

i dont think i'm gonna buy a usaspec because i can do without the steering wheel controls, I rather use the ipod to change tracks, make playlist etc.. so i'm just gonna buy this one to save money; http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s..._MLINK1_1.html, i heard that playing music using this direct ipod method yelds even better cleaner sound quality then CD's
I think its better then CDs, but then again I only keep a few CDs in my car. I also had the tape thing for my ipod for years, and the direct hook up is MUCH MUCH better then that thing.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Racer

yup, i'm just happy i dont have to take cd's around again
Old 05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Race Director

I plan to install this BlitzSafe unit behind my radio and run the ipod wire through my center console, I will just sit my nano in my cup holders,
100% what I did as you can see in the pics I posted. I keep the extra wire in the center console. You just have to be careful when running the wire that you dont pinch it when setting the wood trim back in place. Then just run the wire from the center console through that hole that goes to the cupholder.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I got the USA Spec system for $139 and an 80Gb video ipod for $180. Now road trips with the wife should be a little nicer.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well I got this all installed last night. I simply removed the kickpanel and glove box. Then I played for 5-10 minutes to plug the cable in the back.

Connected everything together, tested and then put it all back together.

Unit works wonderfully. Now I just have to figure out how to get the playlist mapping working.

Thanks for all your help.