*Pics* Mr. Clean Auto Dry & License Plate Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
*Pics* Mr. Clean Auto Dry & License Plate Mod

Finally got my Mr. Clean Auto Dry starter kit in the mail today and since it was beautiful outside today I decided to wash the car ... The Mr. Clean Auto Dry definitely works, although I think my car was so dirty and I didn't use the filtered water enough so I still had some water spots leftover. I just dried them off after I saw most of the water had already evaporated and they pretty much went away. I did use a lot of soap like others have said... I think the trick is to just do a quick soap spray onto the car, and do more soap onto your sponge or mit since the sponge/mit will hold the soap while spraying the car with the soap just lets it run off. Overall I think its definitely a lot better and easier than drying the car yourself!

The license plate mod is something I worked on after I saw (I think), Mr. Hyde with his upside-down license plate holder. I sat down with my dad when I was at home 2 weekends ago and since I didn't want to drill into the car to get it to hold, we decided to use stainless steel brackets to hold the license plate holder on. Two bolts through the steel bracket into the mount points on the car and then bend the metal so it angles down, slip it in front of the license plate holder and then use the two bolts for the license plate through the bracket as well ... Had to still zip tie the bottom to prevent the license plate from sticking out, but the license plate is secure onto the car really well.

Looks pretty good imho ... I love how the car looks now without the license plate blocking the "point" of the nose.

I have some more closeup pics of the results from the Mr. Clean Auto Dry and some nice reflection pics as well

Click here to see more pics
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does Zaino'ed mean?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

its a type of wax
Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrari527
its a type of wax
Zaino is not a wax. It's a polymer.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Liquid Ice

Checkout www.zainostore.com for more info about Zaino.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Stay away from the Mr. Clean - it leaves a residue on your finish as part of the the no dry drying. It's in the soap (the dry rinse polymer). The filters are only good for 2 ~ 2.5 washes and at 6~7 bucks a piece not worth it either.

Zaino is a line of car exterior products including from detail spray to sealants. A lot of people swear by it, I prefer Klasse AIO topped with 4 Star UPP.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Missing my Acura's

Hey alot of people are doing the plate mod now i did it after i seen it on mr. car i love it !
Old 04-08-2004, 11:53 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does the bumper look after the plate is removed. I can see the picture but is there any holes in the bumper that the pic doesn't show? How was the plastic plate held on to the bumper?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:32 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

is the plate the lowest part of the car now? lower than the bodykit all-around?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Smile

[QUOTE=groebuck]Stay away from the Mr. Clean - it leaves a residue on your finish as part of the the no dry drying. It's in the soap (the dry rinse polymer). The filters are only good for 2 ~ 2.5 washes and at 6~7 bucks a piece not worth it either.

I have used Mr. Clean several times now and I don't see any "residue" of any kind. Couldn't be happier with the results. The starter filter that it comes with only lasts 3 washes but both the filter and soap refills cost $10 or $11 total. Not sure where you're pricing this stuff but for about $1 a wash, I'd say that's well worth the money! I can find better things to do with my time than play with a chamois...
Old 04-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Missing my Acura's

The holes for the plate are underneath the bumper where they cannot be seen.But the only problem is the paint under the plateholder maybe scratched , but luckey for me i just had my whole car painted , but who is braggin ? lol
Old 04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I created the up-side-down plate. See my pic in my sig.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:40 PM
TL-S driver

Looks great! Now I definitely need to get the Mr Clean auto dry system!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

I just bought the Auto dry and tried it yesterday on my wife's Honda Pilot - no spots, although it is a little awkward to deal with. Didn't note any residue at all. Left the Pilot with a mirror finish, spot free.

I thought about moving my plate on my 03 TL-S, however, about a week ago, somebody backed into my license plate, no damage on the car though, license plate dented and scratched , I guess the plate saved some damage! :lol1:
Old 04-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Instructor

You don't see the residue - you feel it - let your car air dry and feel the finish - it is slick?? Probably not - the combination of the soap and filtered water allow it to dry spotless but it leaves a residue on the finish -

I have seen it on my own car a week after freshly detailing it I used the Mr.Clean and after air drying it - it was no longer slick at all -

regarding the filters - it depends how hard your water is - I could only get two uses out of the filters before the spotfree drying is gone -
Old 04-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Well, maybe this is too good to be true after all. I'll have to "feel up" my car later because right now it looks as good as I ever got it using Zymol car wash and a chamois...I wonder if the spot-free soap attacks the finish?
Old 04-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Liquid Ice

You need to follow the directions with the Mr. Clean Auto Dry to prevent the residue. The steps are to rinse with water, soap up, rinse again with water (this is key), and then rinse off with filtered water. The rinse with water should remove all of the soap and prevent any residue from forming. I think its important to rinse the car really well with water before rinsing with the filtered water. Only used it once so far so I can't comment on how quick it eats through filters ... Maybe the hard water also has something to do with the residue thats left over?

Also for the license plate ... it may hang slightly lower, but its pretty much even with the bottom of the car. I don't have a bodykit (yet) so it may look lower than it would with a bodykit.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Instructor

I followed the instructions

but the residue is still there - don't think it is my hard water - when I use 4 Star Premium auto wash or Wolfgang's I get no residue after drying - I think is has to leave something behind in order to work with the filtered rinse (hence the name dry rinse polymer - the polymer part would suggest something is bonding to your finish). It will not remove your wax or harm your finish at all so nothing to worry about, but the residue left behind seems to interfear with my QD..

Don't get me wrong it's an okay product for what is does and really speeds up washing your car - but if you do post wash detailing then that polymer can be a little sticky to deal with afterwards.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by groebuck
but the residue is still there - don't think it is my hard water - when I use 4 Star Premium auto wash or Wolfgang's I get no residue after drying - I think is has to leave something behind in order to work with the filtered rinse (hence the name dry rinse polymer - the polymer part would suggest something is bonding to your finish). It will not remove your wax or harm your finish at all so nothing to worry about, but the residue left behind seems to interfear with my QD..
Don't get me wrong it's an okay product for what is does and really speeds up washing your car - but if you do post wash detailing then that polymer can be a little sticky to deal with afterwards.
You certainly are entitled to your opinion. I also have zaino on my car and I just used the autodry. You have to see it to believe it. It's nice not to have to dry your car. Less drying, less swirl mark! It definitely do a nice job on the wash. Just like, there are people like wax, and there are people like zaino!
I am not a chemist. I don't know what's in the "rinse polymer". All I see is the result and the result is good!