$795 for 105k mile server....WOOF

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$795 for 105k mile server....WOOF

My 2003 TL-S now has over 105k miles. I called my dealer to schedule service and they want $795 for the 105k mile service (includes timing belt replacement and water pump replacement).

Does this price seem high or is it reasonable??

thanks!!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That seems like a normal price for the water pump and timing belt work...but you need to hear from fsttyms1 about the timing belt. I agree with him also, its more the age of the belt vs. your mileage that you need to worry about. Your belt is basically brand new, I personally dont think you need to get it done yet at all. I think he has 172k miles on his original belt and he is still ok.

BTW - how the hell do you have that many miles already???!?!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ou sig
That seems like a normal price for the water pump and timing belt work...but you need to hear from fsttyms1 about the timing belt. I agree with him also, its more the age of the belt vs. your mileage that you need to worry about. Your belt is basically brand new, I personally dont think you need to get it done yet at all. I think he has 172k miles on his original belt and he is still ok.

BTW - how the hell do you have that many miles already???!?!
Well, to make a long story short, since I had 2 tranny failures, I wrote letters to Acura and I guess someone who counts read it. Since I am out of warranty, i now get a call from Acura client services every few weeks to see if my tranny is still behaving. They claim that they will help me with any additional tranny failure as long as I keep up with my major services. It could be BS but I just cannot afford to buy myself a new car or drop 5-6k for a tranny replacement (since my wife wants a new SUV). I figured I won't chance them questioning that .

As for my mileage, I bought the car April 1, 2002, so it is almost 3 years old now. My commute to work is 125 miles a day plus trips from the souther jersey shore to central PA every month or so to visit my inlaws.......
Old 03-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
well in that case, ask them. sounds like they are helping you out, so just ask them about the service and if its really needed - cause its really the condition of the belt, and that gets bad with age mostly. But if you need to, its obviously worth it to be able to keep up with your tranny work and that price seems reasonable.

At least you have a great car to drive that much in!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah that is about right price wise...

They replace the water pump since all the other stuff is off it when they are doing the timing belt. I would not risk it. The 105,000 mile timing belt replacement is done to avoid it going suddenly some time down the road. If you lose the engine because of it, I would get it done.

A word of caution about the water pump replacement. At 120,000 I had a timing belt replaced on my camry. They called me up and said for 60 bucks more (the cost of the pump) they would replace that as well while everything is off the car.

So, I said ok...

3 months later the car was leaking coolant so I took it in and they said the water pump needs to be replaced. I said you mean the same one that was replaced just 3 months ago?

It was done for free...
Old 03-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
While it sounds all nice and dandy, of acura... What the heck does timing belt replacement and water pump replacement have anything to do with tranny failures? They should either stand behind the tranny, or they shouldn't. Not stand behind it, if you pay them to service non-mandatory items.

I hope your dealer isn't run by idiots like my dealer is. They sent me a letter, saying I need to schedule a service appointment. It says I need to have the radiator flushed, and the transmission flushed, because they are dirty, burnt, etc. However, THEY JUST REPLACED THE DAMN RADIATOR AND TRANNY within the last 2 months, so why do they need to be flushed?

At the last visit, they even said I needed 4 new tires, even though I JUST BOUGHT 4 tires a few days before I went in for service.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:07 PM
NorCal you Beezy!

Holy cow... Thats a shet load of miles!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
What else is included in the 105k service? The Acura Owner's link doesn't even mention the timing belt replacement
Old 03-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by avs007
While it sounds all nice and dandy, of acura... What the heck does timing belt replacement and water pump replacement have anything to do with tranny failures? They should either stand behind the tranny, or they shouldn't. Not stand behind it, if you pay them to service non-mandatory items.

I hope your dealer isn't run by idiots like my dealer is. They sent me a letter, saying I need to schedule a service appointment. It says I need to have the radiator flushed, and the transmission flushed, because they are dirty, burnt, etc. However, THEY JUST REPLACED THE DAMN RADIATOR AND TRANNY within the last 2 months, so why do they need to be flushed?

At the last visit, they even said I needed 4 new tires, even though I JUST BOUGHT 4 tires a few days before I went in for service.

Wow! Your dealership does sound a little shady!

As far as what the timing belt / water pump replacement has to do with the tranny..... nothing. I'm just sticking to their "recommended" maintenance schedule so that when it comes time for another tranny, they have nothing to hold against me. It isn't the dealership telling me to do this. Acura client services finally told me that if I keep up with my good service record that they will help me with the tranny price when it comes time. At first they told me they would make a good faith judgement at the time of failure but after all my letters and phone calls, they have agreed to help me out if it happens again. Now, the catch is.... I don't know how much they will help me but why chance it?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrsteve
What else is included in the 105k service? The Acura Owner's link doesn't even mention the timing belt replacement
On the Acura Owners website, the first thing listed is "Replace timing belt, and inspect water pump" but my dealership said they will replace the water pump anyway.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Instructor

I got mine done for $500 total. My mechanic used to work for a dealer and he is acura/honda certified. I think they replace the water pump because they have to take it out anyways to get to the timing belt. Since u have your seperate deal with acura client services it will probably help to get it done at the dealer so that they will not try to back out of any agreement they have with you if ur tranny starts acting up again. Also, make you have the agreement in writing, cause you never know.