What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
What is this?

I've been having some problems getting my car (05 RL with standard 17" wheels) aligned. It wants to drift to the right and I am having no luck in getting the problem resolved. Today I was installing the upgraded rear sway bar and noticed this electronic unit on the rear suspension (driver's side). What is it and what does it do? Could this be effecting the rear alignment adjustments?

Last edited by white05rl; 07-17-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Updated photo
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
THat's the AFS, it monitors the car height every 3 minutes or so so the headlights auto level.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Racer

Wow, i would have never guessed that! thanks for the heads up. i don't see how that an effect my alignment (I was hopeful i found the solution)
Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
The auto level sensor will not affect your alignment.

Did you do a DIY on the sway bar? How rusted were the threads on your links?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Check out the August 2008 Acura ServiceNews on how the suspension stroke sensor (your picture asking what is this?) works

• RL: This model uses the headlight leveling system, consisting of the headlight leveling control unit, the suspension stroke sensor, and the left and right headlight leveling motors. The suspension stroke sensor monitors the vehicle’s ride height every 3 minutes while the vehicle is moving with the headlights on, and 8 seconds after it stops with the ignition switch and the headlights on. If the control unit detects a change in ride height, it controls the headlight leveling motors to keep the headlights in proper vertical adjustment. The headlight leveling system has no self-diagnostic function.

To troubleshoot and repair, check out pages 22-278 thru 22-286 of the ’05–08 RL S/M. (Online, enter keywords HEADLIGHT LEVELING and select from the list.)

• RL with Technology Package: This model uses the AFS, consisting of the adaptive front lighting control unit, the suspension stroke sensor, the steering angle sensor, the headlight leveling motors, the adaptive front lighting gearboxes, the AFS indicator, and the AFS OFF switch. The AFS uses the headlight leveling motors to aim the headlights up and down and the adaptive front lighting gearboxes to aim them left and right, depending on the steering angle sensor input. The AFS control unit has a self-diagnostic function with its own set of DTCs and a fail-safe function. If there’s a problem in any of the sensors, the B-CAN system, or the control unit, the AFS goes into fail-safe mode. The system stops control and the AFS indicator blinks to show the problem. If the problem is with the swivel control, the headlight aiming stays centered. If it’s with the leveling control, the headlight aiming stays at 0.6 degree under its current position.

To troubleshoot and repair the AFS, check out pages 22-231 thru 22-277 of the ’05–08 RL S/M. (Online, enter keyword AFS and select rom the list.)
Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
You guys never cease to amaze me with your info!!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i think it does more than that!! it must be connected to the traction control system? I could be wrong but i have noticed that if i drive crazy and try to whip a corner it slows me down till the car levels then the power comes back. So try to take a turn very smooth and ease the power to keep the car flat and accelerate see if that helps.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
and didnt the rear sway bar make the back end looser??
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Hehe hehe There's not enough hp to make the rear end loose due to a sway bar that's still flexible. In practice. the sway bar upgrade gives the car a more planted feel with less body roll. It's quite good, and a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Racer

sorry i've taken so long to respond. yes, i did the sway bar myself. based on what i read in this forum earlier, i sprayed the bolts as soon as the wheel came off (where the bar connects to the heim joint). the bolts for the bushings weren't bad, either. took about 45 minutes "start to finish". can't tell if it really made that big of a difference, but for $65 bucks what the heck! i think changing the tire pressure probably has more of an impact (lol). it might seem a little more "planted", but i did increase the tire pressure at the same time (I know, dumb idea). just my opinion, but there's NO way it made the rear of my car "looser".

if you haven't done it yet, i'd encourage to do so! now does anyone have a simple way to do the front!?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Racer

BTW, got the alignment and "craddle adjustment" done at the dealership today. it took care of the drift/pull problem. so all is well and maybe i don't hate the new Continnental DWS as much as i did before.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an ugly rattle coming from my rear suspension. The dealer told me that the headlight leveling sensor is probably broken. I also get an AFS warning light every now and then. Does this sound likely to be the culprit? If so, do you know what part number I need and where to order it?

I just printed the picture above and will take it to a mechanic to have him take a look but would appreciate any expertise available here.
Thanks