Toyo Versado LX problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Toyo Versado LX problem

2000 RL. I never noticed a problem with the OEM tires that had 60,000 miles on them, but they were cracking from age, so I had Toyo Versado LX's mounted. They were smooth as glass up to about 65mph or so, then a shimmy (very subtle...probably better to call it a "tremor") appeared in the steering wheel. On certain surfaces (and maybe certain wind conditions?) it is barely noticeable, other times very much so, but still just a tremor. You can see it in the wheel when it occurs, though.

The shop that installed them (a 4WD shop that does all the work on my other vehicles) checked the balance, and said they looked good, but he noticed the tremor when he test drove it on a smooth, newly surfaced road and recommended an alignment.

I had an alignment done at a very reputable different shop (very little adjustment was required) and they re-balanced the front tires, but said they really didn't need it.

The tremor is now better, and comes on at about 75mph. But it's still there. I spent some time this afternoon swapping front/back tires thus:

left side front/rear...tremor less noticeable

right side front/rear...tremor the worst it's been

left side back to original...tremor same as original

everything back to original...tremor same as original

I'm stumped. Which is nothing new when it comes to things mechanical, incidentally.

The aligning shop said everything looks absolutely perfect to them. No issues with suspension, mounts, struts, etc. and it might be a very minor defect in a new tire that doesn't manifest itself until high rotating speeds.

The 4WD shop said aligning the toe-in to more than zero degrees might correct the problem (that is, aligning the wheels to point a bit OUT at rest), and they want to take it to a sister shop with a laser alignment device to delve further into the situation.

I just wonder if these tires are very sensitive to certain road surfaces and have so much more "grip" than the old, hard OEM rubber that they transmit this feeling when specific variables coincide.

These are good guys I'm working with, and I trust both of them. I'm just curious if anybody has any experience with these tires or has heard of any similar problems.

Anybody?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
HIGHLY RADIOACTIVE

Question

I Have A 2005 Rl--just Had The Toyo Versado Lx Installed On Monday. 200 Miles Later I Have Had No Problems Or Tremors With These Tires.in Fact, I Think These Tires Trump The Oem Michelen's,great Comfort,very Little Road Noise And Supereb Handeling,especially In The Snowstorm That Buried Parts Of Il. And Wis. . Could Be Defect In Tire, But You Got Me Stumped Also. Good Luck,hopefully Some One Else Here Can Help You With Your Problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
A Saitama Garage

Well, I have a similar issue on my TSX. Just replaced the OEMs at 61k with new Michelins (same model). Took it back to the dealer with new tires on it. They re-balanced, but during the re-balancing, they noticed that one of my rims was slightly bent. Said it could happen by hitting a large pothole at a fast speed.

Could that be your issue? Might want to check. The tremor isn't bad enough to where I'd replace the rim, so I'm just going to leave it alone.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chuck091279
Could that be your issue? Might want to check. The tremor isn't bad enough to where I'd replace the rim, so I'm just going to leave it alone.
The rims are fine, at least to the naked eye.

The tremor began with the new tires. The old OEM rubber felt "hard" (and, in fact, was, relatively speaking so you felt every tar strip) but the steering wheel felt like you were sitting still at every speed up to 100.

The shop that installed them wants to get it right, whatever the issue, so I'm taking it back next week.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
forgot the hub centric ring??
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
8th Gear

I haven't got a clue...

Originally Posted by fatty
forgot the hub centric ring??
...what that means.

Please explain.