Tire pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007 | 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Tire pressure issue

I dont know if anyone here has experienced this or if it has been posted before, but I am having some major tire pressure problems with my 06 RL. Here is the deal, the warning screen came on im my car once we hit low temps in the Seattle area and told me that my pressures in three tires was low. I looked at my tires, but honestly they looked normal and I cant imagine three tires getting low all at once. As the weather got warmer in the last few days the warning has gone to only one tire, but that seems to be stopping as well. Have any of you had this issue before? I am getting ready to change my stock rims to the Aspec Platinums so I can keep this feature on my car, but now that this has happened Im not sure I really want it, to be honest I was a little annoyed by the whole ordeal.
Old 01-20-2007 | 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

There's an active discussion about the same issue on the TL board, and the consensus is.....check your pressure and inflate your tires so the warnings stop. I'll find the link later so you can read it, but basically you need higher pressure when it gets cold IIRC.

EDIT: Here ya go. https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/love-mercedes-tour-everybody-sign-up-149293/
Old 01-20-2007 | 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by plastikman
I dont know if anyone here has experienced this or if it has been posted before, but I am having some major tire pressure problems with my 06 RL. Here is the deal, the warning screen came on im my car once we hit low temps in the Seattle area and told me that my pressures in three tires was low. I looked at my tires, but honestly they looked normal and I cant imagine three tires getting low all at once. As the weather got warmer in the last few days the warning has gone to only one tire, but that seems to be stopping as well. Have any of you had this issue before? I am getting ready to change my stock rims to the Aspec Platinums so I can keep this feature on my car, but now that this has happened Im not sure I really want it, to be honest I was a little annoyed by the whole ordeal.
Tire pressure, on average, drops 1 psi for every 10 degrees, so the difference between summer and winter can be quite dramatic, depending on where you live.
Old 01-21-2007 | 07:28 PM
Instructor

I have the same type system on my corvette. It has told me in cold weather "tire low". Once I got rolling and the tire gets warmer the pressure comes up some. But remember tire pressure will be lower in cold weather. I just usually check pressure more in cold weather.
Old 01-22-2007 | 09:18 AM
3rd Gear

TPMS Issues

Tire pressures will drop dramatically in cold weather. The monitoring system was just doing its job. Tires that "look OK" may be in fact, quite low. Run flats and low profile tires have stiff sidewalls. If the TPMS says the pressure is low, it probably is. As you know, you can call the actual pressures up on the driver display. Unlike many systems that only use the ABS wheel speed sensors to monitor differences in rotational velocity, this system actually monitors the individual pressures.

If you want to reduce the occurrence of this problem, go to COSTCO and have them refill your tires with dry nitrogen. It's what many race cars and most aircraft do. Dry nitrogen has a much lower coefficient of expansion with temperature.

Don't know if this helps or not.
Old 01-22-2007 | 04:23 PM
Racer

I have my tires fill with nitrogen and still drop pressure in cold weather.Check your pressure every week and no prablems at all.