Are these OEM aspec wheels or some knock off??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Are these OEM aspec wheels or some knock off??

I looked on ebay for OEM aspec 18" wheels and found a handful of entries... some are clearly refurbished wheels sold from the places that fix curbed wheels.. prices range from 200-220/wheel.

My understanding, from searching here and other places online that the part numbe for the OEM 18" aspec wheels are 08W18-SJA-203A (or B at the end), depending on the fiish...

I found some listings online that show images that look like the actual aspec wheel, and some with images that look like the 19" optional wheel that "resembles" the aspec wheel..but pricing is allegedly for "new" wheels from $175-180sih for each wheel... they all list a different part number though..

look at these and tell me if these are kncokofs, BS ads or what???

the part number is ALY71747B... if you google that part number, a buch of websites selling wheels pop up... the part number looks nothign like an Acura number..but the images resemble aspec wheels...

this other website has various wheels, and shows an actual aspec wheel if you scroll down and look on the left side column.. they sell it for $184/wheel.

http://www.wheelsrims.net/acura-rl-inventory.html

a full set of Aspecs for $184/wheel is not bad.. unless they are crappy knock ofs of wheels that were all beat to hell and they were "fixed" and will have problems....

any ideas?

this is the image that pops up when you click on the aspec wheel they advertise..

the website is hard to figure out if they are selling used ones, refurbs, or knock offs.. I don't think they are OEM... not at those prices...

Last edited by 23109VC; 11-02-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added image
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I believe they are replicas, same as the m3 style wheels you were looking at.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Call them up and ask about the part number and the wheels.

I believe that the wheels are refurbished A-Spec wheels, but that the part number is unique to salvage parts network the seller belongs to. There were several finishes for the A-Spec wheels, but when they get reconditioned and repainted, who knows what happens to the colors.

I believe that many salvage yards are members of a nationwide network so that if a local yard needs a particular part, they can query the network and find the nearest one, get it sent over from another yard, and the local yard sells it to you, as if they had the part in stock. I think the wheel resellers work in a similar way, but they recondition the wheels first.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Drifting

with some more research, it looks liek there is a large network of these places that sell reconditioned/used wheels...prices for reconditioned Aspec wheels ranges from abotu 170-185 each. assuming these are truly OEM wheels that probably just has minor curb rash and they wre fixed, and refinished... they may look excellent..

if I had a choice, I would have probably got the ebony chrome finish...i think that woudl look slick on a carbon gray pearl car like ine... but if I can get a full set of "regular" silver finished wheels for $700 vs $1500 for new.... i think I'd go for the reconditioned ones... unless they are notorious for having problems... i woudl suspect most of the wheels they are get have rash or minor bends nd they can make them look new again...

anyone?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

When I bought GS wheels for my Legend way back when, new wheels were over $600 each, if you could even find them. I went the reconditioned route, and they were beautifully finished, looked like new. No paint on these, the looked just like the original diamond cut finish faces with just a clear coat on it...They served me well for 10 years, though over time, three of the rims became bent because of massive pot holes I encountered.

I was actively looking for a set then, and contacted various of these wheel reconditioning houses until I found a place that could sell me 4. Would I do it again, probably, depending on the situation...the lug nuts and center caps were expensive also.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

If you have settled on 18's, you may wish look for alternate, lighter weight designs, say 24 lbs or less. There has to be something out there, especially if you are going to spend $$ for new. Maybe some nice TSW's...

The potential pluses to buying new is you should also get TPMS and center caps with it, and you should be able to use your stock lug nuts, but you should check that with the dealer you purchase from.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
with some more research, it looks liek there is a large network of these places that sell reconditioned/used wheels...prices for reconditioned Aspec wheels ranges from abotu 170-185 each. assuming these are truly OEM wheels that probably just has minor curb rash and they wre fixed, and refinished... they may look excellent..

if I had a choice, I would have probably got the ebony chrome finish...i think that woudl look slick on a carbon gray pearl car like ine... but if I can get a full set of "regular" silver finished wheels for $700 vs $1500 for new.... i think I'd go for the reconditioned ones... unless they are notorious for having problems... i woudl suspect most of the wheels they are get have rash or minor bends nd they can make them look new again...

anyone?

get gunmetal lol.... most of the places garuntee the wheels are straight and true
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Drifting

i've been to the TSW site... quite a few wheels fit..but to me, they all look "wrong".

a lot of the aftermarket wheels don't look right to me. not sure if you all agree with me.. but when it comes to the RL and wheels.. I find very few choices that honestly look "good" on teh RL. the OEM aspec wheels are, to me, one of the few wheels that I find good looking in the 18" size.

maybe I"m jsut picky... but I've seen cars where lots of wheels look good on them..but for some reason, I think the RL is a hard car to find great looking wheels... at least on a budget...
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, I got my a-spec's refinished and done in "hyper-black silver" - they came out flawless.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Drifting

IF I buy aspec wheels, the refurb route is how I will go.

i'm still deciding whether I go 18s or 19s. each have their pros/cons.

I'm also considering wheel weight and how much I want to lower the car.

I am downloading and printing a lot of the photos off this site to do my own subjecdive comparisons. I am also arranging a test ride in another AZ members car that has suspesnion...so see how it drives/rides... i may try to fit that in later today!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I think 18's with H&R springs provide the best look for the car. Depending on the tires you can go softer (Continental DWS) or rougher (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S).

or...you can go TL stock 17's with H&R...those seem to work for at least 1 other person

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Drifting

how is the ride on H&Rs and 18s vs stock ?

i finally got a chance to drive an RL with aspec suspension and 18s and it was pretty stiff. the handling was great, but the ride on uneven pavement was VERY bumpy and bouncy. i'm not sure I could live with it on a day to day basis....

are just H&R springs as stiff or less stiff than aspec? i would assume since it retains the softer stock dampers it would not be as bouncy or stiff?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
H&R springs are a good deal stiffer than stock. The big difference can be felt with tires too. Continentals are riding much softer for me vs Michelin Pilot's Sport A/S.

I don't know about bouncy...but the car is stable and flat at all speeds.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Drifting

i know tires m ake a huge difference too..

my parents have OEM 18" aspecs.. the stock pilot sports wore out and they put on some bridestone all seaons..and the car was substantially more bumpy afterward.. so I know tires can impact it a LOT..

i wonder if much of the subjective differences people report here in how the car is too stiff, or okay.. is also a product of what tires they are running???

if i were to go with OEM 18" wheels.. and ran michelin pilot sports.. i think those sidwalls are fairly soft for a high performance tire.. i wonder h ow stif they are vs the pilot sport A/S + or vs the stock MXM tires..???

i think the stock MXMs that Acura puts on are pretty soft and desigend to give a super plush ride.. so maybe any tire i move to aside from the OEM tire will be rougher???