Rethreading wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rethreading wheel studs

Hi all,

I was wondering if I were to re-thread 5x120 studs to 5x114. Will I have any issues. This was suggested as opposed to purchasing wheel spacers for 05-08 RL. Also if I do purchase wheel spacers what are the dimensions of the wheel spacers I should look for ? Can anyone suggest a good manufacturer of wheel spacer? Thanks for your time.

Anthony
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Re-threading sounds as if you are just wanting to change the threading of the studs themselves, but I am not sure why you would do that.

It sounds as if what you really want is to actually change the bolt circle diameter. suppose you are doing this in order to use 5x114 bolt circle wheels instead of 5x120 bolt circle wheels and to increase the amount of space between the wheel mounting surface and the back of the spokes to allow fitment of the four piston calipers.

I would also look into the size of the studs, which you would have to change anyway to longer ones if you add in a spacer, although there are some spacers which are truly bolt on, and do not require removing the hub to change the studs to longer ones.

I would also pay attention to maintaining the hubcentric fit, so your spacer would have a 64.1 mm fit on the backside and offer the same fit on the front side to the wheel (assuming you are getting a 64.1 mm hub wheel). Can you use hubcentric rings to accomplish this? In theory, I suppose you could...

Being the conservative type, I figure that Honda engineers had a reason for moving to the larger bolt circle on their heavier cars (whether the Odyssey, the Ridgeline, the RL or the new TL), with and without all wheel drive, and I personally do not have the engineering smarts to do the trade studies for going back to the smaller 5x114 bolt circle. I would also bet that introducing wheel spacers, even if you did not change the bolt circle will introduce changes to your alignment, and put stresses on the suspension that were not meant to be there.

How much spacing are you thinking?