Restoring ride quality of Aspec KB1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Restoring ride quality of Aspec KB1

Before I begin this post, I want to thank everyone on this board for sharing your knowledge on this chassis. You have helped me a great deal and saved me a lot of money!

I recently purchased an 05 RL Aspec and have been driving it to work everyday while enjoying every aspect about the car except for one: the ride quality.
Here is a picture:

The vehicle I purchased is on D2 Coilovers and when I first bought the car, I felt like the look of a lowered car was worth the diminished ride quality. However, after driving 70 miles per day on these coilovers, I learned that a change was definitely required. Since the car is an Aspec, my search for a replacement began with Aspec suspension. I looked through every marketplace I could think of and came up with zero results within the past few years so I guess I that ship has sailed (not to mention that any aspecs that would be found would probably need shock replacements which are discontinued).

My next course of action was to look into the aftermarket options available. Of the very few offerings available for our chassis, the ones that stood out to me were Largus and Tein. I considered these brands for a few weeks but ultimately came to the conclusion that they would deliver a ride quality I would remain unhappy about. I do not plan to carve any canyons or display my car at car shows so my highest priority is to deliver a great ride quality leaving aesthetics and performance a distant second and third.

After searching for more time than I care to admit, I have came up with 4 options and the associated questions I have about them:
> OEM Shocks and Used Aspec Springs - From what I have read in this forum, the aspec springs are significantly stiffer than stock but I do not believe that Acura would ever deliver a product outside of my comfort range and this would complete the "Aspec" aspect of the car.
Q: What is the availability of Aspec springs and/or the complete suspension nowadays?

> OEM Shocks and Stock Height Springs - I have heard stock ride height with the Aspec body kit and 18" rims looks odd but the only thread with pictures had broken links so I cannot judge for myself.
Q: Did anyone save the pictures from this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-p...dy-kit-498936/

> OEM Shocks and H&R Springs - From the reviews on this board, the H&R springs are soft and maintain a plush ride quality. My only concern with this route is the longevity of the shock due to the lower height.
Q: Can anyone share the long term longevity of this setup? Maybe after 20k-50k miles

> Mugen Sports Suspension Kit - This is the expensive pandoras box. I have no idea what this looks or rides like but from what I have read from other chassis is that it is roughly the same as stock but a little lower (similar to Aspec). This is my easiest option since I do not have the top hats, dust covers, and all the other hardware that comes with stock suspension.
Q: Has this setup ever been reviewed on the KB1/2 chassis? Are there any pictures floating about?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
If you want to see the aspec look on stock height, take a look at my car. The thread is in the sig At this point, your easiest option would be stock suspension with ASpec springs. This will likely wear the shocks faster though!
The following 2 users liked this post by projektvertx:
justnspace (06-04-2018), xd69 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^while the OEM shocks are not valved for the aspec springs; i dont think you would get any less life out of the shocks. YMMV, tho.
but agreed...the best way to go would be to put it back on OEM shocks and springs
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for your pictures projektvertx! Exactly what I wanted to see. I dont know why people say that Aspec RL's look weird at stock ride height. Your car looks great.
I also saw that you recently acquired Aspec springs. Mind sharing how you came across them?

On another note, I have been doing some price shopping for suspension options:
The complete set of Used OEM suspension is running about $500 on ebay - This is a big gamble because I have no idea what the condition of the shocks and bushings are
The complete set of New OEM suspension is running about $1100 with some deep searching for the lowest price.
The mugen set of suspension is sold by King motorsports for $1563

Being as how the new OEM setup is approaching the cost of Mugen, has anybody ever experienced the Mugens or does anybody have any pictures with them on??
Old 06-05-2018, 08:22 AM

I think ChocBoyWonder might have done Mugen. What's the parts you're using that's driving that cost up. Struts should be about 800-900$?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 PM
10th Gear

You are correct ChocBoyWonder might be the only one on these forums who has ever had the Mugen coilovers installed on his car. He is currently on a custom air setup.

The cost of OEM is so high because I need to purchase the springs, top hats, dust boots and all the other stuff that people usually get from their stock suspension. I have nothing since I bought the car with the D2s.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:44 PM

D’Oh! Forgot you’re on D2s
Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you use AcuraOEMparts.com you can get 5% off i think if you use ACURAZINE as a promo. It saved me a couple bucks when i ordered my shocks. I am genuinely curious on the mugen ones tho.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 PM
10th Gear

Thank you for the promo code. Will definitely save me lots of $ in the future.

I have been hunting down the Mugen suspension since my last post. My conclusion so far is that the KB1 and KB2 versions have been discontinued and not available for purchase anywhere. I will keep hunting and see what I can find. The price difference between buying everything new from Acura and buying the Mugens is not too significant so it is definitely a good alternative.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

For anyone else looking for Mugen suspension for the RL, I have contacted King Motorsports regarding their Mugen listing here:
Mugen Sports Suspension Kit 50000-XKJ-K0S0 - King Motorsports Unlimited, Inc.

They said that is a very old listing that should be taken down as these coilovers are now discontinued and they cannot get them from their suppliers either.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM
10th Gear

I just wanted to update this thread with my resolution. After a bumpy (literally) summer, I am now riding comfortably into winter. I want to firstly thank projektvertx for giving me a great deal on Aspec springs. Once I had the springs, I needed to buy shocks. I was torn between OEM and aftermarket shocks since neither are meant to be used on a ride height lower than stock. By some miracle, I was able to find a set of springless Mugen shocks in great condition for a very good price on Yahoo Auctions Japan. Shipping was significantly more than the shocks themselves but I was very motivated to obtain these as they would be easily able to handle the ride and spring rate of the Aspec springs since they are similar to what came on the Mugens originally.

Long story short, I got everything installed this weekend and I can say it is a total night and day difference. I would rate the ride quality on the D2s a 3/10 and my current ride quality a 9.5/10. My only detriment is that the ride is a little softer than I would like but being as how the RL is not a sports car, I can and will definitely live with it.

Here is a picture for ride height comparison:
Old 11-11-2018, 11:32 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Perfect daily height!