New tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009 | 01:33 PM
Advanced

New tires

hey guys i just put on perelli 235/55/17's
pzero neos
anyone have experience wit hthese tires?
the guy at the shop said they're awesome
i have a 05 RL
Old 03-21-2009 | 04:27 PM
Safety Car

I would be interested to hear the review on these tires from you. They are narrower section, higher profile and and about 2% larger diameter than stock. How do they handle in comparison to the stock size? Can you feel the difference in section and profile? How is the ride? Did you get the new PZero Nero All Seasons or the older PZero Nero M+S?

I have had the PZero Nero M+S on my 2G Legend, and they are quite good in the wet and pretty reasonable in the dry for all season tires, which are all compromised to some extent. They have a life expectancy of about 25K before you have change them out, at least on the Legend with its nose heavy fwd setup. The front tires really take a beating, and if I did not rotate often, they really got chewed up, especially after a skid pad session.

They are not great in the snow, even though they are rated as Ultra High Performance All Seasons. I think the tread design and lack of siping is the reason. As you probably know already, the difference between the PZero Nero M+S and the PZero Nero is the compound only. The PZero Nero is a Max Performance Summer Tire, with a summer compound. The M+S version is the same tread design, but with an all season compound that does not turn into a dangerous piece of hard rubber in the cold.

If you got the PZero Nero All Season, the new tread design, which takes the original PZero design and adds major siping to it, should make them better snow and ice performers, and maybe even wet performers.

Anyway, I would be very interested to hear your experiences.
Old 03-25-2009 | 12:33 PM
Advanced

mine are the M+S i dont think they are all season, because i dont see that written on them

driving the car, i find these tires are great for straight line and regular driving
but turning was better with my michelins, the michelins seemed to have a stronger side wall and with a car the size of the RL this helps in turns... at first i thought it was because of the skinnier tire, but i think it may be a combo of both, skinnier tire and weaker sidewalls...

I felt a lot more sure of myself in turns with the Michelins....
Old 03-25-2009 | 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I think "M+S" means "mud and snow" and therefore "all season".
Old 03-25-2009 | 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Pirelli, like many other companies has confusing nomenclature.

There are two season versions of the PZero Nero!

PZero Nero M+S
PZero Nero All Season
Old 03-25-2009 | 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SNACKMAN
mine are the M+S i dont think they are all season, because i dont see that written on them

driving the car, i find these tires are great for straight line and regular driving
but turning was better with my michelins, the michelins seemed to have a stronger side wall and with a car the size of the RL this helps in turns... at first i thought it was because of the skinnier tire, but i think it may be a combo of both, skinnier tire and weaker sidewalls...

I felt a lot more sure of myself in turns with the Michelins....
Thanks for the input. I don't doubt that you are seeing both narrower section and higher profile differences, though I am surprised that a Grand Touring All Season has better performance than a UHPAS. So much for belieiveing all that Tire Rack hype!

Have you experimented with tire pressure? I have found in the past that higher pressures help, up to a point. For example, on my PAX tires, instead of running 32/30 as recommended, I am much happier at 37/35 cold. Much higher cold, and after the tires warm up, the ride can get a little hard.
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

you may get better gas mileage with higher pressure in the tires, but handling will suffer and you could prematurely wear out your tires. Cars are designed for a specific pressures for a reason.
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chas2
Thanks for the input. I don't doubt that you are seeing both narrower section and higher profile differences, though I am surprised that a Grand Touring All Season has better performance than a UHPAS. So much for belieiveing all that Tire Rack hype!

I have a hard time believing that Nero's are not 3x better than stock MXM4s in any weather.

I had those tires on 3 of my cars and they were pure crap for handling.
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:51 AM
Advanced

037 All im saying is that with the different size and the weaker sidewalls these tires are not good for hard turning with a big car...
may be fine for a TSX ETC....
Old 03-26-2009 | 12:08 PM
Advanced

on a side note, i think our 05-08 rl's look way better than the new 09 ones
that silver grille is HIDIOUS