First Acura rear suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Acura rear suspension help

hi just a quick question about my acura. this is the 1st one ive ever owned so i really dont know to much about it. i have a 2000 Acura RL with 170k that i just brought. heard the cars last forever but this one seems to be driving me crazy. i hit a bump with the rear driver wheel the car jerks to the right. i hit a bump with the rear passenger wheel it sounds like the wheel still bouncing. now i had a mechanic look at it he said the the bushing is gone on the shock on the passenger side and the upper control arm has alot of play in it. he told me that the front bushing for the lower trailing control arm where it attaches to the frame beneath the rear passenger door is bad.

now would i need to replace the springs along with the shocks if so where can i get them from?

also where could i get the parts from cheap if anybody knows

and finally someone else looked at it and told me that my rear lower control arms are bent that is why my wheels are leaned in. is that true or could it just be from the shocks and control arms?

i hope i gave enough detail if i could get any answers with anything i would apperciate it
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Well, you are in the 2nd Gen RL section, and you have a 1st gen. That forum will be of more help with specific part options. However, suspensions are the same, generally, across cars.

Your springs are likely fine as those have a VERY long life. The shocks need to be replaced. It sounds to me like all of your bushings should be replaced too. Having blown shocks (a.k.a. struts, whatever you like to call them) can cause a camber issue where the wheels will lean in. I think it would be relatively hard to bend your control arms.

My suggestion is to buy new shocks and bushings and have the car aligned. Once that is done, you should be able to tell if the control arm needs replacing, but I would wait on that unless the parts are cheap and the labor can be included in the shock replacement.

I replaced Legend #1's shocks at about 170k, and it made all the difference in the world. Apparently bottoming out isn't inherent to the design of the car.