All Season vs Snows

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
All Season vs Snows

OK, I've read as much as I can find and I believe the Conti DWS06 is the best option for all season. I just put a set on my sons '09 S60AWD.
However, since I'm on LI, NY and the RL is my DWs DD, I'm debating snows since she's a nertz, she must get to work, regardless of weather conditions. If I go with snows, should I downgrade to 17" wheels/tires?
I'd appreciate other opinions, especially those experienced with the DWS06s
Old 02-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I don't see the need to downsize wheels unless you find a significantly cheaper tire. You can pretty much size any tire to the same dimensions with 17" or 18" wheels. The only tire size advice is skinnier tires vs wider.

Seems a bit late in the season though, no?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I don't see the need to downsize wheels unless you find a significantly cheaper tire. You can pretty much size any tire to the same dimensions with 17" or 18" wheels. The only tire size advice is skinnier tires vs wider.

Seems a bit late in the season though, no?
Thanks!
Yeah a bit late. The MXMs on it would likely last another 5-8K miles at least but, recent blizzard gave me pause hence the motivation to get a new set now.
I had a set of the older Conti DWS on my FWD wagon a few years ago and they seemed good to my untrained skill set. The DWS06 have great reviews and rated #1 which is why I put them on my sons car.
The RL is a real joy, drive it myself whenever I can! Although I will say my other sons '11 S60AWD isn't too shabby.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Im in NJ don't get winters the RL performs well in the snow, dws06 are very good tires I almost bought them and they are cheaper than the Michelin A/S3 but in the end the Michelins consistently do better in every review I've seen and I have them on my RL and when we got 30 inches couple weeks ago.. I was paralyzed for a little while but that shawd does help you out
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Im in NJ don't get winters the RL performs well in the snow, dws06 are very good tires I almost bought them and they are cheaper than the Michelin A/S3 but in the end the Michelins consistently do better in every review I've seen and I have them on my RL and when we got 30 inches couple weeks ago.. I was paralyzed for a little while but that shawd does help you out
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion and will likely go with the DWS06. Interesting assessment of the Michelins, I've used the various iterations of the Pilot A/S over the years, as well as the DWS(not 06), not on the RL and found them "decent". The newer A/S3s aren't rated very highly by various sources, while the DWS06s are #1.
Now I just need to find a good Indy shop for the RL maintenance
Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I generally go a step smaller with my winter tires, for a couple reasons.

1. they are a bit cheaper, for both the rims and tires.

2. since the wheel diameter is smaller, generally the tire width is smaller, which is a good thing. The narrower the tire, the more it sinks into the snow, getting better traction. A wider tire will just float on top.

3. a smaller diameter wheel means you have a larger sidewall tire... with pot holes and stuff, the extra sidewall is nice because it absorbs impacts better. I've seen a number of bent rims from winter driving in my time. More sidewall will help with that.