235/50/17 on 2006 RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
235/50/17 on 2006 RL

235/50/17 on 2006 RL?? What do you think? Anyone see any issues? (electronics, awd, etc)??
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I don't see why it would cause any problems with the VSA, ABS or AWD system as long as they are the same tires with matching tread depths at all 4 corners. Your speedometer will be off a little, (1.5% fast), and the tires in that size generally carry 2-3 points less on the load index, (about 90-150lbs less weight).

I guess I have to ask why though? Most of the tires that are made in both sizes are pretty comparable in price between the sizes. You have a decent enough selection of tires in the 245/50R17 IMO. If you want cheap get the Kumho Ecsta 4X or General G-Max AS-03. If you want mid range get the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. If you want a premium tire get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Bridgestone Turanza Serenity.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I don't see why it would cause any problems with the VSA, ABS or AWD system as long as they are the same tires with matching tread depths at all 4 corners. Your speedometer will be off a little, (1.5% fast), and the tires in that size generally carry 2-3 points less on the load index, (about 90-150lbs less weight).

I guess I have to ask why though? Most of the tires that are made in both sizes are pretty comparable in price between the sizes. You have a decent enough selection of tires in the 245/50R17 IMO. If you want cheap get the Kumho Ecsta 4X or General G-Max AS-03. If you want mid range get the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. If you want a premium tire get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Bridgestone Turanza Serenity.
Dont mean to sound cheap but I found a set or Serentity's which are like new (porbably less then 5K on them) for 350.00. Evwn thou I like the DWS's much more they are close to 800.00, its 6 of one and half dozen of another. Mite just wait till I can go with new DWS's.....
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stresst
Dont mean to sound cheap but I found a set or Serentity's which are like new (porbably less then 5K on them) for 350.00. Evwn thou I like the DWS's much more they are close to 800.00, its 6 of one and half dozen of another. Mite just wait till I can go with new DWS's.....

If the prices were the same, which would you choose, the DWS or the Bridgestones? Question is not just directed at OP. I can get either tire within $20 of each other. I live in DFW if that makes a difference.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try the Kuhmo 4x, they seem great in the wet so far. $500 for 4.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JRock80
If the prices were the same, which would you choose, the DWS or the Bridgestones? Question is not just directed at OP. I can get either tire within $20 of each other. I live in DFW if that makes a difference.
Continental all the way, besides my two buddies have them and love em. Check out tire rack survey results there rated #1...... But if I lived in Texas I would probably go with the dw not dws's unless you do indeed get a lot of rain.....
Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Drifting

I'd take the Bridgestones any day. Bridgestone makes a much higher quality tire. The Continentals have had sidewall and rapid wear issues. Also, a lot of people have complained that the noise increases significantly once they get about half worn. Whoever you are getting them from must get insanely great pricing from Bridgestone or horrible pricing from Continental. I can tell you that the actual cost on the Serenity is nearly double what the DWS is.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Advanced

I'd take the Bridgestones any day. Bridgestone makes a much higher quality tire. The Continentals have had sidewall and rapid wear issues. Also, a lot of people have complained that the noise increases significantly once they get about half worn. Whoever you are getting them from must get insanely great pricing from Bridgestone or horrible pricing from Continental. I can tell you that the actual cost on the Serenity is nearly double what the DWS is.
I heard a few things about the DWS as well but who knows what to believe these days.....Two guys from work have them and they both commute 50 miles each way into NYC pot hole city and they both love them....

As far as the pricing, I am not sure where you got that info from my my two local guys are within 14 bucks of each other on those two tires. Heck even tire rack is only a 8 dollar differance. IMHO I read much better reviews on the DWS......
Old 12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Advanced

BTW a tire rated for Grand touring is going to last longer and be quiter then an ultra high performance tire anyday. Its up to the consumer to choose which is more important. I would much rather have a tire with superior grip and give up some wear, never seen a tire that gives you everything.

I was also looking at the Dunlop Sport 5000 Astmmetrical (NOT SYMMETRICAL). Anyone have any input on this tire?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Cruisin'

Bridgestone FTW!

Thanks for the feedback guys. You have helped me with a decision I have been pondering for a little while. I do not like Michelin tires as I feel they are overrated. I previously had Bridgestone's on a Maxima and loved them but the RL is of a different animal.

I heard about all the issues people were having with the DWS, but the noise settled down after a while. Bridgestone FTW!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Drifting

The Dunlop has a pretty low treadwear UTQG rating and no mileage warranty. I would stay away from that one. Usually Goodyear/Dunlop tires that don't carry a mileage warranty wear pretty quickly. Just realized that in 245/50R17 the Serenity is only $18/tire more than the DWS right now. DWS keeps climbing in price. I would definitely recommend the Serenity at that close of a price. You live in Texas, right? Just go get them at your local Discount. They'll match TireRack's price after shipping and you'll get a 30 day ride guarantee. If you don't like them just take them back and get the DWS instead.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info on the Dunlop! I had no idea....
Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

The Dunlop has a pretty low treadwear UTQG rating and no mileage warranty. I would stay away from that one. Usually Goodyear/Dunlop tires that don't carry a mileage warranty wear pretty quickly. Just realized that in 245/50R17 the Serenity is only $18/tire more than the DWS right now. DWS keeps climbing in price. I would definitely recommend the Serenity at that close of a price. You live in Texas, right? Just go get them at your local Discount. They'll match TireRack's price after shipping and you'll get a 30 day ride guarantee. If you don't like them just take them back and get the DWS instead.
The local Firestone has them buy 3, get 1 free. With warranty and installation, the total price comes to like $791. Great deal in my book.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Drifting

The local Firestone has them buy 3, get 1 free. With warranty and installation, the total price comes to like $791. Great deal in my book.
Which tire?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Which tire?
Firestone Affinity BS! I would take them for free!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Cruisin'

Which tire?
All tires! It was a deal they have been running since black Friday. You can also negotiate at most Firestone locations. I highly recommending asking for the B3 get 1 free deals. I bought my last set from them for the same deal, even though they had no specials at the time.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Drifting

All tires! It was a deal they have been running since black Friday. You can also negotiate at most Firestone locations. I highly recommending asking for the B3 get 1 free deals. I bought my last set from them for the same deal, even though they had no specials at the time.
Doesn't seem like all that great of a deal. DTC in your area has the Conti DWS out the door for about $50 more with a road hazard warranty and free lifetime servicing. Makes you wonder how much they're charging you for the first 3 tires. They match any legitimate price anyway.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Doesn't seem like all that great of a deal. DTC in your area has the Conti DWS out the door for about $50 more with a road hazard warranty and free lifetime servicing. Makes you wonder how much they're charging you for the first 3 tires. They match any legitimate price anyway.
Ok at least someone is thinking like me!

They bang you out with installation charge, mounting charge, balancing charge, valve charge dispose charge and by the time your done you paid full price for the 4th tire then some. I sold tires years ago, we didnt buy in large volume but I can tell you the markup was terrible. Max 15%!

The best I found the DWS's is for 190 each installed. Didnt price the Serentitys cause I wasnt interested. Now I may price around....
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Cruisin'

Ok at least someone is thinking like me!

They bang you out with installation charge, mounting charge, balancing charge, valve charge dispose charge and by the time your done you paid full price for the 4th tire then some. I sold tires years ago, we didnt buy in large volume but I can tell you the markup was terrible. Max 15%!

The best I found the DWS's is for 190 each installed. Didnt price the Serentitys cause I wasnt interested. Now I may price around....
Keep in mind, the $791 included the tires, warranty, balance, mount, installation and tax. Not too shabby if you ask me. If you have seen better on a comparable tire, please let me know.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Advanced

Keep in mind, the $791 included the tires, warranty, balance, mount, installation and tax. Not too shabby if you ask me. If you have seen better on a comparable tire, please let me know.
What tires do you think they are going to give you for 791.00?? IMO no way you are going to get Serentity's out the door from a firestone dealer for that price. JMO
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

What tires do you think they are going to give you for 791.00?? IMO no way you are going to get Serentity's out the door from a firestone dealer for that price. JMO
I went to the Firestone Complete Auto Care in Garland and got a quote for the exact price. I will get a print out of the work order and post it.

The tires in question were the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. I will be getting them installed soon.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Advanced

I went to the Firestone Complete Auto Care in Garland and got a quote for the exact price. I will get a print out of the work order and post it.

The tires in question were the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. I will be getting them installed soon.

Ok, seems like a good deal but IMO its not a steal. Tire rack wants 775 shipped or Tire easy.com for 750 then go to a small shop you can have them mounted and balanced for say 50 bucks?? 825.oo/800.oo installed! Yes you are saving a few bucks but like I said not a steal. Or if you have a local guy who will beat these prices well then you will be ahead of what firestone is offering. JMHO

Dont get me wrong going to Firestone is probably easier then shopping around, my point is when these places offer buy 3 get 1 free you are really not saving.......
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Ok, seems like a good deal but IMO its not a steal. Tire rack wants 775 shipped or Tire easy.com for 750 then go to a small shop you can have them mounted and balanced for say 50 bucks?? 825.oo/800.oo installed! Yes you are saving a few bucks but like I said not a steal. Or if you have a local guy who will beat these prices well then you will be ahead of what firestone is offering. JMHO

Dont get me wrong going to Firestone is probably easier then shopping around, my point is when these places offer buy 3 get 1 free you are really not saving.......
Just keep in mind when you buy from TireRack or any online vendor that your tires will eventually need servicing. You can rotate them yourself but what if you need them rebalanced? Flat repairs? The $50 or so that you save with an online vendor will quickly diminish after you pay for a couple of flat repairs.

The biggest thing to me is warranty issues. What are you going to do when your 50k tires are smoked in 25k miles? Pay to ship the tires back to TireRack to have them evaluated and then have to pay to have a prorated set shipped back to you? I don't know about you but I need my car daily and can't afford downtime like that. They're also going to want to see things like rotation records which you won't have if you were rotating them yourself. If you were paying to have them rotated then you'd have receipts to prove it but, again, if you're paying for rotations you're completely negating all of the money you saved by purchasing online.

I can't stress to you guys enough to find a local shop that matches online pricing. Tires are something that need constant servicing and frequently need warranty work.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Just keep in mind when you buy from TireRack or any online vendor that your tires will eventually need servicing. You can rotate them yourself but what if you need them rebalanced? Flat repairs? The $50 or so that you save with an online vendor will quickly diminish after you pay for a couple of flat repairs.

The biggest thing to me is warranty issues. What are you going to do when your 50k tires are smoked in 25k miles? Pay to ship the tires back to TireRack to have them evaluated and then have to pay to have a prorated set shipped back to you? I don't know about you but I need my car daily and can't afford downtime like that. They're also going to want to see things like rotation records which you won't have if you were rotating them yourself. If you were paying to have them rotated then you'd have receipts to prove it but, again, if you're paying for rotations you're completely negating all of the money you saved by purchasing online.

I can't stress to you guys enough to find a local shop that matches online pricing. Tires are something that need constant servicing and frequently need warranty work.
Dude, your rite! I cannot argue with ya!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

In most scenario's, I would definitely agree with you. I just hung up with the local Firestone and placed my order. Total price, including Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Road Hazard Warranty, Mount, Balance and Lifetime rotations was $767.00. I am elated!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 AM
Advanced

In most scenario's, I would definitely agree with you. I just hung up with the local Firestone and placed my order. Total price, including Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Road Hazard Warranty, Mount, Balance and Lifetime rotations was $767.00. I am elated!
Did you get em? How did everything turn out?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

Did you get em? How did everything turn out?
I got them the next day. They are fantastic! Super quiet; perform well during spirited driving and are sticky in curves. I am totally satisfied with my purchase.

They are so quiet, I put the radio at 6 or 7 and can hear perfectly fine.

If you need more information, just ask.