05 RL Wheels - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 RL Wheels - Please Help

Can anyone help me find wheels for the 05 RL? I exhausted my usual channels and nobody has wheels that will fit the RL. Please help.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Racer

Take it from someone who was looking since November last year, there are only a limited set of wheels that will fit the RL.
Depending on what you consider stylish, you can find some at http://www.bigwheels.net but the choice isn't great. You can also find wheels at RonJon wheels, the advert is at the top of the forum pages, but they will cost you.

Watch out for misleading information on the web from the typical wheel and tire merchants...I have seen many cases where they claim to have wheels to fit the new RL, yet they are sometimes unaware of the different bolt pattern (BMW-like) on the car, or the offset requirements.

Me? I gave up and went for the 18" Acura wheels (bought from Ebay) 'cos I hated the stock wheels so much.

Good luck in your searches.

Pete
Old 09-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Instructor

I also gave up on other wheels besides Acura. All I found were wheels with fitting problems, improper offsets, or totally overpriced. The factory 18"s fit perfectly, have the proper offsets which will maintain the superb handling, and look better than anything else out there. Go for the Acura 18" wheels and install the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on them - you'll love them!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Ditto for me. I too was frustrated with the lack of aftermarket wheels for the RL and bought the OEM 18's. The problem that I faced was that many of the wheels that potentially could fit the RL were a custom order (ie very, very expensive), had limited styling choices (ie not really my taste) or had never been test fit on an RL. I wasn't about to spend several thousand dollars on wheels that weren't confirmed to have adequate caliper clearance etc to fit properly. It is possible that, in a year or two, the aftermarket wheel companies will produce more suitable wheels, BUT the RL is such a low volume car that the styling choices will still be limited and the prices will still be very high. In the mean time, I am very happy with the OEM 18's and have had many many favourable comments about them from friends and complete strangers. I also chose the Pirelli PZeroNero M&S tires (in part because of 1HOTNSX's recommendation) and have been very very happy with them. Thanks again 1HOTNSX!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Drifting

ive been searching since june and cant come up with a damn thing. every wheel i find has a clearance issue with the bigger brakes. like those guys said, either ron jon or a custom job. i saw wheels on an rl the other day... had to be 19's or 20's, looked sweet, to bad i couldnt stop and find out what kind they were. goodluck my brotha..... but trust me, a few guys on this board have been searching for months and come up with nothing. it sucks
Old 09-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Cruisin'

Help-Wheels... I am close to gedtting the factory 18's..

Thanks for the feedback. I am close to gettign the factory 18's as well for the same reason. I found a bunch of wheels- OZ and Momo that are really nice but recently were or about to be discontinued. I don't want to get into the situation of getting the wheels and then falttening one of them and needing to buy four new ones.

Does anyone know the exact offset of the factory 18" wheel. I am lead to believe it is a 5x120 lug but nobody can agree on which offset it needs. I don't really get the offset dimension but agree that it can effect the handling of the car even if it does fit.

Rumor has it that Momo is coming out with the right size in the XXL wheel in a month or two. Not sure if I want to wait or go with factory.

Anyone know dimensions
Thanks
Old 09-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Racer

From memory (and boy is my memory getting bad now that I'm old ) I think I remember the offset being 55...the same as the 17" rims. This would make sense since the rim width is the same (and why would Acura have Enkeii build 18" rims with different offsets). By the way, the offset determines how far out the wheels will be in the wells. I know the number is stamped on the inside of the rims, but I am not in a good position to check...anyone else out there able to look?

If you are still going to look some more for aftermarket rims, remember that it's not just offset you have to worry about. You need the rims to clear the large brake calipers and there is a rim dimension know as the X-factor that provides this information...but good luck getting anyone in the wheel business to understand what this is for any wheel, all they do is test fit to see what fits and what doesn't.

Pete
Old 09-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondamore
I also chose the Pirelli PZeroNero M&S tires (in part because of 1HOTNSX's recommendation) and have been very very happy with them. Thanks again 1HOTNSX!!!
You are welcome and I'm glad my two cents helped you in your decision.

Can anyone help me find wheels for the 05 RL? I exhausted my usual channels and nobody has wheels that will fit the RL. Please help.

Thanks
I waited a couple of months for the OZ Superleggera III Forged in a 19" size. This is a three piece wheel and I was told by my Tire Rack contact that they would have one available for the RL very soon - that was back in April. If you like the look of the wheel, it is "reasonably" priced (at about $700) and of a very high and proven quality. I might still get a set when my current 18" tires wear out.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by agroves
Does anyone know the exact offset of the factory 18" wheel. I am lead to believe it is a 5x120 lug but nobody can agree on which offset it needs. I don't really get the offset dimension but agree that it can effect the handling of the car even if it does fit.

Anyone know dimensions
Thanks
I can confirm that the offset on the 18" is also 55mm.

Getting a different offset will definitely affect the handling because the offset not only determines the position of the wheel on the hub but also its relative position to the rest of the car's suspension components. My NSX just feels different with wheels with different from factory offsets. It is not as communicative at the limits and it doesn't feel as planted to the ground at speeds over 100 mph. Of course, tires, alignment settings and a million other things affect the feel and handling of a car, but I believe that aftermarket offsets produce a marked change in the behavior and handling of any car. If you go with the OZ three piece wheels, they might be able to get you very close to the factory offsets if you keep the width of the rim stock.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
The most difficult thing about the RL fitment is the Caliper clearance which requires at least 1.75" of space (trust me I measured) and the high 55 offset in combination with the 5x120 boltpattern is really awkward. The lug studs are also oversized, and the lugs have a flange incorporated, which i wouldn't suggest changing for AWD purposes. So in the end, a high end wheel would be required. We have a new 18" x 8" & a 19" x 8.5" one piece forged wheel version of the Devotion, it will be built specifically for the RL and availble in OEM colored centers with a true mirror polished lip. Offsets will be high and centerbore will be hubcentric at 64.1mm. Pricing will also be between $550-$610 each. Weights will be 1lb per inch diameter or less. Pics to be posted as soon as the prottoypes arrive for a test fitment.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Instructor

+1 on the 18" Acura OEM wheels.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rondog
The most difficult thing about the RL fitment is the Caliper clearance which requires at least 1.75" of space (trust me I measured) and the high 55 offset in combination with the 5x120 boltpattern is really awkward. The lug studs are also oversized, and the lugs have a flange incorporated, which i wouldn't suggest changing for AWD purposes. So in the end, a high end wheel would be required. We have a new 18" x 8" & a 19" x 8.5" one piece forged wheel version of the Devotion, it will be built specifically for the RL and availble in OEM colored centers with a true mirror polished lip. Offsets will be high and centerbore will be hubcentric at 64.1mm. Pricing will also be between $550-$610 each. Weights will be 1lb per inch diameter or less. Pics to be posted as soon as the prottoypes arrive for a test fitment.
Will the one piece have fake studs or not? I really hate the bolt studs on a lot of aftermarket wheels, especially when the wheel is clearly a one piece and just their for gaud factor. I like the 5 star look, don't mind paying $2,000 for a set of wheels. But they have to be classy.

Rondog- any thoughts.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Will the one piece have fake studs or not? I really hate the bolt studs on a lot of aftermarket wheels, especially when the wheel is clearly a one piece and just their for gaud factor. I like the 5 star look, don't mind paying $2,000 for a set of wheels. But they have to be classy.

Rondog- any thoughts.

RonJon Wheels shares the msame belief, no fake rivets, only functional features, here's a preview pic, but we will have real unfinished sample wheels to test fit with very soon.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
RonJon Wheels shares the msame belief, no fake rivets, only functional features, here's a preview pic, but we will have real unfinished sample wheels to test fit with very soon.

Any price on those Ron? I imagine they will look awesome like the other wheels you have.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Cruisin'

Ron: - Great Design - Living in the northeast- we get a lot of pot holes. Any thoughts on the durability. Is there anything special done to the metal that adds to its strength? I know it is a fairly light wheel at a pound per inch so I see you have made it efficiently light. Can they be reshaped f a bend occurs? I had a set of factory wheels on my Audi, bent the driver side wheels by going into a pothole in a rainstorm on the turnpike. Replaced them with a set of SSR GT7's and had absolutely no problems since. I don't know if there is a way to compare durability of wheels but if spending $2000+ on wheels, it would be more comforting to know it is strong. I think the rest of the country doesn't have to worry about it as much as we do in NJ. Most states are run more efficiently and/or don't have the wet/cold weather we do that destroys the roads. Also- if buying a set now- ho long would I be able to buy replacement wheels should anything happen to the ones I buy?

Thanks, sorry for being so detailed/anal. Just been down the road before and haven't necessarily made the right decisions.

Are you making them in a steel and chrome finish?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Ron: - Great Design - Living in the northeast- we get a lot of pot holes. Any thoughts on the durability. Is there anything special done to the metal that adds to its strength? I know it is a fairly light wheel at a pound per inch so I see you have made it efficiently light. Can they be reshaped f a bend occurs? I had a set of factory wheels on my Audi, bent the driver side wheels by going into a pothole in a rainstorm on the turnpike. Replaced them with a set of SSR GT7's and had absolutely no problems since. I don't know if there is a way to compare durability of wheels but if spending $2000+ on wheels, it would be more comforting to know it is strong. I think the rest of the country doesn't have to worry about it as much as we do in NJ. Most states are run more efficiently and/or don't have the wet/cold weather we do that destroys the roads. Also- if buying a set now- ho long would I be able to buy replacement wheels should anything happen to the ones I buy?

Thanks, sorry for being so detailed/anal. Just been down the road before and haven't necessarily made the right decisions.

Are you making them in a steel and chrome finish?

Thanks
Go with 18", a 45 series tire will provide good enough rubber to prevent any bending. T6061 Aluminum is extremely strong, but physics withstanding, anything can bend given enough pressure. We are focused on a good balance of lighness and strength, so we do consider that. Also, the lip can repaired since the wheel is not flush face and the spokes don't interfere with the lip. Also, the lip will be mirror polished, so any curb rashes or scrapes can be polished out. There is a full polished version, don't know about chrome now tho.
And we will be stocking these wheels, so there is no wait for replacemnt if needed.

someone asced about price, and its all listed on the website...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Racer

The Rl has never been an enthusiast car nor attracted much aftermarket support and that will continue. Get the RonJon wheels, at least they specialize in Acura. Otherwise good luck, this is the wrong car to mod.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:55 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RonJon Wheels shares the msame belief, no fake rivets, only functional features
I see fake rivets between the spokes.

http://ronjonwheels.com/devotion1pf.html

Please confirm these are going away in the production model . . .
Old 10-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ASP
I see fake rivets between the spokes.

http://ronjonwheels.com/devotion1pf.html

Please confirm these are going away in the production model . . .
Those do have a function, to offset the valve stem. But in no way do they try to be something they are not, a multipiece wheel. They don't act like they hold any part of the wheel together. but to have a valve stem sticking out like an eyesore, we had to put dummy valve stems in each spoke split to offset the weight and style. thants all.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could we get a discount on the Ronjon wheels if we had a group buy?