XM Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
XM Traffic

I just got XM Traffic/weather in my 06RL and am getting incidents, but I dont believe Im getting traffic. I drive on or pan over to roads I know should have traffic, and the roads are either black or just red. The whole state of Fla's roads (when panned out far enough) are thin red in color. No color diff.

Am I missing something? I know the "traffic" icon is selected in icons, and I can see incidents (yellow signs) but I assumed the traffic function made the roads show up like on my iPhone mapping. Green, yellow, and red in certain areas.

I have the original nav disc from when the car was new (early 06).

Just want to throw it by you guys before I cancel it or spend the money on the latest nav disc (which I prol need to do anyway).

Thanks!
W
Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Same here in Tampa woodek. It was up this morning.

I have rarely seen it down in Tampa Bay and honestly, I have found it fairly accurate and updates reasonably quick in my area.

I checked the NAVTEQ website for Tampa and there is no traffic flow there either at the moment. So the issue appears to be with the source NAVTEQ and not XM or your RL.

Your DVD is not the issue. However you mentioned you subscribed to XM Weather? The 2006 RL NAVI hardware does not support XM Weather it became available in the 2009 RL). I hope you were not sold something you cannot utilize.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Pro

Yea, The weather came as a package with the traffic. It was actually cheaper to get the weather along with the traffic, than traffic alone (or so they said - whatever!). I wasnt sure what it was. Didnt really matter because of the cost. I thought it might be like the traffic incidents, something simple like that.

Traffic hasn't worked since I got it a week ago. I was in Palm Beach last week and nothing. Even locally (Cape Canaveral and Orlando) should show dark green/color lines on major highways. All Im getting is thin red lines for roads that SHOULD be traffic enabled. Are major roads normally thin red even if you dont have traffic? I cant remember and cant tell because I "have traffic" now...

I was at the NAVTEQ site earlier and everything seemed fine there, and I had XM send another signal to my unit/car. Still nothing.

Is there something I could have turned off? I have the traffic icon turned on in the icons area. Anywhere else?

thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
woodek....Traffic flow is back up today in Tampa.

Have you checked yours today?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Pro

Yes. Still getting thin red lines on what should be traffic enabled roads. No sign of any other color. Im going to get the latest DVD for the car (4.73A), which I NEED to do anyway, and if that doesn't work (which I don't expect it will), I'll just can the XM traffic. No big deal.

Our area has grown pretty fast and Im missing ALOT of new roads,and seeing restaurants that haven't been here for years.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Woodek, traffic flow data is only available in the Tampa area in Florida. Your ID says you are in Central Florida. Where in Central Florida? If you're in Orlando, Daytona, Cocoa, etc. it's not going to show Flow data. Only works on western I-4, 75, etc., in and around Tampa
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have subscribed to the NavTraffic for my 2005 Acura and XM attempted to update my signal on 8 different occasions here in Atlanta, GA and it still didn't work. After 3 weeks of trying to get my traffic to populate, I decided to contact XM satelite for the 9th time for a refund.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And now with this same data available FOR FREE on any smartphone accessing Google Maps, etc., it makes it hard to justify the cost. I think they realize that and it's the reason the service seems to be withering on the vine. It's an evolutionary dead-end.

I've watched theh coverage map for a few years now and seen no real expansion of Flow data service in years. With all the highways and cities in Florida, it's only available on a few highways near Tampa. Never expanded past that initial offering. They'll probably need need to make it free with your XM subscription or discontinue it soon.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Pro

Ill cancel too. I initially thought traffic was the same as maps on my iPhone. It's awesome and very accurate, but small.

Maybe next time I sign up for XM they'll have my area, and Ill try it then.

Thanks all.