Video: My Custom Media Center using NavTool and USA-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Thumbs up Video: My Custom Media Center using NavTool and USA-Spec

Hi guys, I kinda haven't been active since school has started for me, along with work and student organization. A couple months ago I basically ripped my RL apart did a bunch of sound proofing, cleaning of the car, and installing a bunch of after market stuff including the NavTool Video Interface unit and the USA-Spec XM Integration unit. I also became creative with a cheap media player unit that you would usually use with your TV to watch videos and play music off of a SD card or USB stick. Here is a little video of my setup and I will post links to the products I used incase you are interested in doing a similar setup. I know a couple of you already have the NavTool + USA Spec so this would only cost you around $60 to achieve a similar setup.

Video is in HD so I would maximize the video to see it really well.

Here is some of the basic things I used that you would need:

NavTool
http://www.navtool.com/acurarl3-1.aspx

USA SPEC PA15-ACUxI:
Amazon Amazon

IncrediSonic Media Player:
Amazon Amazon

Transcend 16GB SD Card:
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Nice setup, its what I'm aiming for but I would use the media player with either the autotoys unit i mentioned in my thread or with a Navtool n Grom USB unit combo. Playing videos off iphone is a pain. I hope that little media player can read more than 1 file format.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by M T L T L
Nice setup, its what I'm aiming for but I would use the media player with either the autotoys unit i mentioned in my thread or with a Navtool n Grom USB unit combo. Playing videos off iphone is a pain. I hope that little media player can read more than 1 file format.
Oh yes that unit can play almost every video format in existence (.mkv, .mp4, .wmv, etc..) and supports many audio formats such as (.flac and .mp3)

Also Yes you are right, getting videos to play off iDevices are painful first you have to convert...then sync..etc, this way all you do is copy the file to the SD card and you are Done, saves you like 5 hours.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very, very cool. I am particularly interested in the switch for the Navtool. How did you figure that out? Is it listed in the install instructions? I assume you had to get those at radioshack or something, right?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by djacobson
Very, very cool. I am particularly interested in the switch for the Navtool. How did you figure that out? Is it listed in the install instructions? I assume you had to get those at radioshack or something, right?
Yes I bought the switch from radio shack. NavTool includes a momentary push button switch in the NavTool package so basically I just bought this instead and wired it into my center console. The installation instructions explain it but I believe there is a 12V+ Input line that you connect this to and the other terminal goes to ground (or 12V) can't remember which one.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
you basically have the same set up as me, short of the inverter and media player.

I ran the video cables to the middle console so I could plug in what ever I wanted with extended cables.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
nice.. i need to do this again, my av unit burned out on me.

BTW did you really film this at 4:30AM ? HAHA
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vletnguyen
nice.. i need to do this again, my av unit burned out on me.

BTW did you really film this at 4:30AM ? HAHA
Haha no, I think the GPS had no signal so time wasn't accurate, was more like 7 in the afternoon.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is awesome. I'm new to the Acura world w/ my 2013 RDX. Before with my 2008 IS 350 I had the Vais Technology SL2Vi which allowed ipod/iphone/ipad video and audio integration.

I'm planning on getting the Navtool for the RDX to be able to do the same thing again. Is the only reason you have the USA Spec for Audio? I think with the 2013 RDX and using the Navtool for it, sound is sent to the system.

But I want my ipod connection only there for web video and some stored video I keep on my ipod. Otherwise, I'd like to do what you did with that extra USB reader thing because (as mentioned in the thread), it's real annoying to get videos on an ios device.

Also I wonder if with the navtools I can listen to music off my ipod without having to go through the Acura head unit controls because it'll be too annoying to find songs. I like having the ipod in my hand and manually finding things to play.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
The NavTool is only for video and the USASpec is only for Audio. Keep in mind that if you are using an iDevice for both audio and video, you will need a cable other than the car's to separate the signals.

If you are only looking to play music off of your iPod by hand, just use a 3.5mm male to male (no homo) connector to the AUX input of your car.
The following users liked this post:
Shahryar (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oo7spy
The NavTool is only for video and the USASpec is only for Audio. Keep in mind that if you are using an iDevice for both audio and video, you will need a cable other than the car's to separate the signals.

If you are only looking to play music off of your iPod by hand, just use a 3.5mm male to male (no homo) connector to the AUX input of your car.
At the end of the RDX NavTool install video, it mentions sound will play through the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0Y...layer_embedded .

I know about the Aux input but I was always under the impression that sending sound to the system via an iDevice connection cable would be the best thing.

One other complication is that I have an iphone 5 but also an 4g ipod touch. One uses the lighting connector, the other doesn't which means I would need to get an adapter. Ideally I could have multiple connection options. Maybe if I get a non-iDevice tablet (surface, nexust, etc) which is friendlier with playing various movie formats, I could easily connect that in. I have to explore the NavTool more or find a good place to ask questions. I don't want to hijack the groupbuy thread
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shahryar
At the end of the RDX NavTool install video, it mentions sound will play through the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0Y...layer_embedded .

I know about the Aux input but I was always under the impression that sending sound to the system via an iDevice connection cable would be the best thing.

One other complication is that I have an iphone 5 but also an 4g ipod touch. One uses the lighting connector, the other doesn't which means I would need to get an adapter. Ideally I could have multiple connection options. Maybe if I get a non-iDevice tablet (surface, nexust, etc) which is friendlier with playing various movie formats, I could easily connect that in. I have to explore the NavTool more or find a good place to ask questions. I don't want to hijack the groupbuy thread
From the NavTool website, particularly the RDX version,
Originally Posted by NavTool.com
NavTool is a video only input interface module, which means an FM modulator, FM transmitter or an auxiliary audio input interface adapter needs to be used to connect the audio signal from your external AV source to your audio system, if your vehicle does not have an auxiliary input already available.
I can guarantee you that the headphone DAC in any iDevice is capable of better audio performance than Apple audio compression allows. The music file itself is the limiting factor, not the connection.

They make adapters for compatibility issues: http://www.cellphoneshop.net/30micro...FegWMgodqRkAOQ

Don't worry about hijacking this thread. I think we are still on topic.

Last edited by oo7spy; 12-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced

I asked some more questions to navtools in the group buy thread from post #31 to post #40 . Looks like the navtools unit for the RDX does indeed support audio BUT only for devices up to all the new ones with the lightning connector from the iphone 5 onwards. So that's good news for watching vids/listening to music off iphone 4s but bad news for watching videos off the iphone 5.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

The video out for the lightening plug is a debatable topic on the interwebs.

Right now its not supported by Apple, BUT they claim there will be an HDMI and VGA converter coming which means a new IOs that will produce video out.

That being said, NavTool will have some upgrading to do but you wont see it anytime soon.

As for the 30 pin plug, my USAspec/NavTool combo still works flawlessly as long as the app produces and video out option you wont have any issues. Note that flixster does not.

I wasnt aware that the NavTool carried audio (admittingly I didn't care to keep up) , but this may be a new enhancement which is great for you guys.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 12-19-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced

^ I think I'll just pull the trigger on it because I don't know what else I can get for video to my Nav. I had an '08 IS 350 from 2009 to last month when I traded it for the RDX, and in it I had VAIS TECH's SL2Vi which brought audio and video off the iDevices. But I didn't know their plans for Lightning connector iDevices going forward
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

I would.

I'm not sure how that other device works, but keep in mind the issue isn't the device manufacturer. Its the phone manufacturer.

Once the phone is capable then the others will catch up.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Can you post the evidence of the NavTool integrating audio? I am only so skeptical because the site itself says it won't.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (12-19-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Can you post the evidence of the NavTool integrating audio? I am only so skeptical because the site itself says it won't.
That's what I thought too because the navtool site says video only for this product. But the install video mentions audio should also come. And when I confirmed in that groupbuy thread, the navtool poster said audio does come through
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I needs someones to do this for me in my RL
Old 08-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
Awesome setup! I am going to try something similar. Im interested in how he wired the switche in th console to the inverter and where its getting power from. Is Matt W still active?