Treo 650 HFL setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treo 650 HFL setup questions

I've just got myself a Treo 650 and am having a few problems in understanding exactly how to best pair the unit.

On the Treo, under the "Setup Devices" menu, there are two options called "Hands-free Setup" and "Trusted Devices", which both put the Treo into discovery mode.

I am guessing that I need to pair using the "HandFree Link" option on the Treo, but do I need to use the "Trusted Devices" menu for anything? According to the Treo manual the RL needs to be listed as a trusted device to automatically link after the initial setup has completed.

I tried using the "Trusted Devices" menu to set the Treo into discovery mode, and everything seemed to work fine (the RL acknowledged the phone), but after the setup the RL cannot find the phone.

All help is gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Pete
Old 10-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Racer

I used the quick setup guide that came with the car and that seems to work fine with the motorola 815 and LG VX8100. Neither needed anything special done after the pairing. Once my 815 (when I still had it) wasn't recognized. I think I could not resolve that till I turned the car on/off.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you using the Verizon, Cingular or Sprint Treo 650? I know the verizon one has problems connecting to the HFL - and the BT in the LS430. Accoridng to handsfreelink.com the Spring one is the only one that works:
http://www.handsfreelink.com/dev/pai...o=i&phoneid=71
Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Racer

Just a reminder that some phones that are not listed on the HFL site do in fact work fine. I tried the VX8100 last week and had no problems. I think Acura is not very agressive in qualifying phones. Silly.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by petemc
I've just got myself a Treo 650 and am having a few problems in understanding exactly how to best pair the unit.

On the Treo, under the "Setup Devices" menu, there are two options called "Hands-free Setup" and "Trusted Devices", which both put the Treo into discovery mode.

I am guessing that I need to pair using the "HandFree Link" option on the Treo, but do I need to use the "Trusted Devices" menu for anything? According to the Treo manual the RL needs to be listed as a trusted device to automatically link after the initial setup has completed.

I tried using the "Trusted Devices" menu to set the Treo into discovery mode, and everything seemed to work fine (the RL acknowledged the phone), but after the setup the RL cannot find the phone.

All help is gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Pete

The RL will appear in the list of trusted devices once you complete the pairing. Mine lists the title "HandsFreeLink TM" for the RL pairing setup. BTW, my 650 is a Cingular, although I believe that others with Sprint and Verizon have gotten theirs to work with the RL as well-they all have the same basic Bluetooth capability and interface, but the phone radio is different (GSM vs CDMA).
Old 10-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The VZW one has had problems from day one. I know the cingular version worked - I would hope that VZW has made it work by now.

And yes, nocturnal - you are correct, there are MANY that work that acura hasn't bothered testing. I am not sure why either.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Racer

Thanks

Thanks guys.

A friend who also has the Treo also said that I should use the Hands Free menu option and that the RL would automatically be added to the Trusted Devices list (as stated by acurafox).

I have the Cingular version of the Treo, and expect that Bluetooth will work, although the signal strength, caller ID and battery displays will probably not...but that's better than my friend what has a Jaguar S-type R and he can't get the Treo to pair at all.

I also agree with those who said that some phones work, even if they are not listed by Acura...I had a V551 before it was listed and it worked fine...I guess Acura can't test every phone, every week

Pete
Old 10-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Racer

All I get now is the antenna icon, but I am heard that there are some unreleased firmware updates (see Treocentral.com) that may fix this. I plan to fool around with some of them in my copius spare time. BTW, I still have not figurerd out how to get the outbound message thing to work with the Treo-anyone have any luck with this?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

I have the Sprint Treo 650 with the newest firmware (1.12-SPCS). In the last 6-7 months there have been two software upgrades for the sprint Treo software. Make sure you have the newest version.

Mine works great with the car, I do field sales and use my HFL for several hours every day (4000-6000 minutes per month - Sprint loves me!) Occasionally the phone reboots when dialing out but overall it works great. I see the signal strength on the car display, that came with the newest software upgrade on the phone.

I used the car pairing instructions to set it up. Make sure the phone IS in discoverable mode. That made a big difference.

:-)
Jeff
Old 10-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Racer

OK, I'm up and running on Bluetooth again

On my V551 there was a method to temporarily turn Bluetooth on, and as long as there was a valid Bluetooth connection the phone would keep the Bluetooth powered up. When I turned off the ignition of the RL, the connection was broken and the Bluetooth on the phone was automatically powered down.

Is there anything equivalent on the Treo?

If I keep the Bluetooth turned on, does anyone know how long it will roughly be before the phone needs charging (from a full charge)?

Cheers

Pete