TL Navi ranked higher than RL Navi

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL Navi ranked higher than RL Navi

Anyone seen this article from JD Powers:

http://www.technoride.com/article/Be.../169917_1.aspx

I just find it strange that the TL has a better rated navi than RL even though the car costs 13K less.

Do you agree?
Old 02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
It seems that the journalists have a problem with the BMW "i-Drive" type systems so it makes sense that the nod would go to the TL's touch screen. Having owned the the TL prior to my RL, I must admit that I miss the touch screen convenience too. However, it's tough to argue with the efficacy of the Acura Navi systems regardless of which model car you have.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atomarchio
Anyone seen this article from JD Powers:

http://www.technoride.com/article/Be.../169917_1.aspx

I just find it strange that the TL has a better rated navi than RL even though the car costs 13K less.

Do you agree?
I think it's based on the touch screen of the TL vs the 'mouse' control of the RL that has the writers choosing the TL. When I traded in my '04 TL for my '05 RL, I thought I'd miss the touch screen too. After ashort time, I found that the mouse functionality was very good to and the capabilities of the RL navi were better. So all in all, I'm happier with the RL version.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe most that had the TL and move up to the RL would miss the touch screen initially. After a couple of weeks using the RL functions and more I may add it’s clear the RL navi is better. It was really evident to me when I received a TL loaner from the dealership I truly realize the RL’s advantage. As noted the TL’s navi system is very good also.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 PM
kgd
Instructor

If the journalist took the time to use the voice commands of the RL's Nav system, there is no way it would be second to the TL. I rarely use anything but voice commands for the Nav system on the RL.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by kgd
If the journalist took the time to use the voice commands of the RL's Nav system, there is no way it would be second to the TL. I rarely use anything but voice commands for the Nav system on the RL.

Truth. Having had what is essentially the TL's system in my Accord for a few years before I had my RL, I can safely say that after you've had the car for about a week you'll rarely, if ever, touch the scroll knob again. It's SO much faster and easier to set destinations by voice, and having voice recognition that can recognize STREET NAMES from anyone's voice is nothing short of revolutionary.

Zagats' is a damn handy feature, too.

J.D. Powers also ranks Buick products highly. So, really, their credibility is nil.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I blame Acura for this.

Acura should be aware of magazine reviews' public-relations value. As a result, they need to do whatever it takes to get stellar reviews like the Infiniti M receives. Therefore, whenever they loan an RL to a publication, they should also loan out an Acura spokesperson who can explain to the publication how to use the car. Chances are, the writers of the article didn't realize that you can use the voice commands, or how easy they are to use, mainly because no one from Acura sat them down and taught them how to use it.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:04 PM
office monkey

Um, based on that link the rankings were based on a consumer survey so trying to put all the "blame" on JD Powers is pretty lame.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Instructor

I currently own the 04 TL with navi and just test drove the RL today. IMO the RL Navi is much better.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read the article closely enough. It seems to me that according to the survey, TL drivers rate their systems more highly than RL drivers do. As usual, I blame the Acura dealers. How many of them actually demonstrated the RL's system to drivers? How many RL drivers know they can just tell the nav system where to do and it will do it? How many RL drivers know about the really cool "Go Home" feature?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Racer

I have very limited experience with built in nav systems. Only my own (RL) and my inlaws RX400h. I think the RLs system needs to be more accurate and show me -exactly- where I am instead of where I was 2 seconds ago but other than that it works fine. The Lexus system can not be controlled while driving which is just a pain. I use a combination of voice and dial control of the RL system. Often it is quicker to push the knob than to push a button, wait for the beep and say 'ok'. I think the voice recognition system is pretty good but it should allow immediate voice input when you hit the button. I have no idea why it needs to first beep and then let you speak. Perhaps the beep calibrates the microphones? I also wish there was a voice input button on the shift knob or elsewhere on the dash. Don't know about you but I have trouble finding the button when I'm steering. You could argue you shouldn't futx with the nav/hfl if you're not going straight but parking lots happen and this is where you set your destination.

Anyway. The system is fine IMO. Lots of room for improvement but I don't often feel like touching the screen. To get info on a traffic icon is a bit annoying. Sometimes the cursor is hard to control and the screen appears frozen. I suppose this could happen even for touch screens.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

The wait is for the microphone to turn on and the voice recognition software to activate. Otherwise you'd have the control system responding to ordinary conversation.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Racer

Turning on microphones and activating software takes microseconds. I didn't say I want to talk to the computer all the time, what gave you that idea? Pushing a button is fine. I just wish there was no delay. Push the button and talk right away. More like a PTT on a walkietalkie.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Nocturnal - On your in-law's Lexus RX400h, they can control the nav while driving by using the 8 step procedure shown in the following website: http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...navigation.htm
Old 03-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Racer

thanks for the tip. I think I'll leave it the way it is though. they need all the help they can get to stay on the road. more distractions are not a good thing
Old 03-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
It seems that the journalists have a problem with the BMW "i-Drive" type systems so it makes sense that the nod would go to the TL's touch screen. Having owned the the TL prior to my RL, I must admit that I miss the touch screen convenience too. However, it's tough to argue with the efficacy of the Acura Navi systems regardless of which model car you have.

Thanks. I was just about the ask that question on the RL board. When I was looking at the RL this past weekend, I noticed that the sales person controlled everything on the Nav screen with the jog dial. I wanted to ask him if it was touch screen or not, but I didn't because I wanted to find out on my own. Does the screen also seem smaller than the TL's screen as well?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig

Thanks. I was just about the ask this. When I was looking at the RL this past weekend, I noticed that the sales person controlled everything on the Nav screen with the jog dial. I wanted to ask him if it was touch screen or not, but I didn't because I wanted to find out on my own. Does the screen also seem smaller than the TL's screen as well?