AT&T 'Tilt' AcuraLink Compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
AT&T 'Tilt' AcuraLink Compatible?

As some of you may have read, my experiece with the ATT version of the Palm Treo 680 crash and burned. Although it tested on the Acura HFL site for both HFL and AcuraLink datalink capability, the Bluetooth stack was flimsy and it was very unreliable to use.

I am back to my RAZR V3 which has flawless operation and seamless integration with our RL.

But I really want (and somewhat need) a smartphone. Very few ATT branded phones (my carrier) have full compatibility with all HFL features AND Acuralink data capability.

Now I am reading up on the new ATT 'Tilt' (built by Kaiser?). It indicates it has a data modem, latest and greated Bluetooth (2.0?), Windows Mobile 6 and ATT 3G...wohoo! Have my dreams come true?

Well not so fast... it is not yet tested by Acura HFL, and maybe not on the radar yet (they still list the Blackberry Curve as 'in testing'). I thought I would contact Acura Tech support, but I am sure they will not commit to any results yet.

So I was wondering if anyone in our small, highly intelligent and generously opinionated community has had experience with the ATT 'Tilt'? Beyond simply pairing and data connection...how is the performance? Again, the TREO 680 passed Acura HFL test, but sucked in day to day use (dropping calls, locking up HFL, losing HFL interface, ect.)

There has to be a brave soul out there with more than 30 days trial experience with the 'Tilt' and Acura HFL.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
As some of you may have read, my experiece with the ATT version of the Palm Treo 680 crash and burned. Although it tested on the Acura HFL site for both HFL and AcuraLink datalink capability, the Bluetooth stack was flimsy and it was very unreliable to use.

I am back to my RAZR V3 which has flawless operation and seamless integration with our RL.

But I really want (and somewhat need) a smartphone. Very few ATT branded phones (my carrier) have full compatibility with all HFL features AND Acuralink data capability.

Now I am reading up on the new ATT 'Tilt' (built by Kaiser?). It indicates it has a data modem, latest and greated Bluetooth (2.0?), Windows Mobile 6 and ATT 3G...wohoo! Have my dreams come true?

Well not so fast... it is not yet tested by Acura HFL, and maybe not on the radar yet (they still list the Blackberry Curve as 'in testing'). I thought I would contact Acura Tech support, but I am sure they will not commit to any results yet.

So I was wondering if anyone in our small, highly intelligent and generously opinionated community has had experience with the ATT 'Tilt'? Beyond simply pairing and data connection...how is the performance? Again, the TREO 680 passed Acura HFL test, but sucked in day to day use (dropping calls, locking up HFL, losing HFL interface, ect.)

There has to be a brave soul out there with more than 30 days trial experience with the 'Tilt' and Acura HFL.
Go to an AT&T Corporate store and ask the sales rep to come out to the car with you with the demo model and try to pair it and make and receive a call. They will most likely agree to do so since the commission on the phone and data package is probably pretty good. Was the 8525 compatible with HFL? The Tilt is an updated version of that phone.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thanks dwboston. My local ATT rep (who sold me and retuned the TREO) has already agreed to do that. I am waiting for him to get one in house.

But beyond the pairing & data connect test, I am seeking feedback from someone who has one with and how it performs day to day with the RLs HFL. A few weeks with the TREO 680 resulted in my returning it. I am trying to avoid being the Beta Tester again.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks dwboston. My local ATT rep (who sold me and retuned the TREO) has already agreed to do that. I am waiting for him to get one in house.

But beyond the pairing & data connect test, I am seeking feedback from someone who has one with and how it performs day to day with the RLs HFL. A few weeks with the TREO 680 resulted in my returning it. I am trying to avoid being the Beta Tester again.
It looks like the 8525 failed the HFL compatibility test (apparently it couldn't be paired?). The previous HTC smartphones were all compatible. I wonder if Windows Mobile 6 on the 8925/Tilt will make a difference.

Interestingly, my phone (Motorola KRZR K1) is approved, but the HFL table shows it failed the Phone/Data connection. I can confirm that the phone/data connection works with the KRZR and the RL, as I am receiving daily car feature messages from AcuraLink.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by dwboston
It looks like the 8525 failed the HFL compatibility test (apparently it couldn't be paired?). The previous HTC smartphones were all compatible. I wonder if Windows Mobile 6 on the 8925/Tilt will make a difference.

Interestingly, my phone (Motorola KRZR K1) is approved, but the HFL table shows it failed the Phone/Data connection. I can confirm that the phone/data connection works with the KRZR and the RL, as I am receiving daily car feature messages from AcuraLink.
I saw that too dw. Interesting your KRZR works. I suspect there are various software versions on the KRZR model and HFL did not test the full sample. (Personally, I find the Moto's have the most robust Bluetooth of the models I have experienced).

I am curious about your daily feature tips from AcuraLink. I too had them for the 1st 30 days when I initialized my profile on OwnerLink. Are you still in the 30 day window? I have tried various times to reset that feature to again recieve the daily feature tips with CS so I can demo this feature for an associate. No luck. I even reinitialized the NAVI software. It seems to be a one shot 30 day offering.

Until I make my next appointment online with AcuraLink, I have no messages being sent to the car to demo this feature. If only the RL would throw a troublecode!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I saw that too dw. Interesting your KRZR works. I suspect there are various software versions on the KRZR model and HFL did not test the full sample. (Personally, I find the Moto's have the most robust Bluetooth of the models I have experienced).

I am curious about your daily feature tips from AcuraLink. I too had them for the 1st 30 days when I initialized my profile on OwnerLink. Are you still in the 30 day window? I have tried various times to reset that feature to again recieve the daily feature tips with CS so I can demo this feature for an associate. No luck. I even reinitialized the NAVI software. It seems to be a one shot 30 day offering.

Until I make my next appointment online with AcuraLink, I have no messages being sent to the car to demo this feature. If only the RL would throw a troublecode!
I had to set up a new profile for my 06 RL after trading in the 05 RL. Give Acura Client Services a call and ask them to re-initialize the vehicle features messages and they should start up again.

I agree that Motos seem to have the best Bluetooth implementations. I haven't had any HFL issues with a V505, V620, 2 different V3's, and now the KRZR K1 (except when I enabled the Enhanced Full Rate audio codec via a SEEM edit - the HFL didn't like that at all).
Old 11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by dwboston
I had to set up a new profile for my 06 RL after trading in the 05 RL. Give Acura Client Services a call and ask them to re-initialize the vehicle features messages and they should start up again.
Been there, done that (3 times)..no workee.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlackJack

I have a Samsung Blackjack on AT&T and it works great. Well...other than no AcuraLink, it works great. Zero problems with Bluetooth, transfering calls in and out of the car and as a PDA.

I used to use a Blackberry, but not with the RL. My only complaint about the Blackjack is the keys tend to be kinda small. With my eyesight not being what it was two or three years ago, it is tough to use at times.

I also work with a number of people that use the 8525 and they love it. DW is right...the 8525 is just the next logical step for that phone. Other than WM6, it's pretty much the same thing...oh and the tilt!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm running a Blackberry Pearl and aside form the fact that it allegedly doesn't support Acura Datalink, it works flawlessly. Actually it's much more stable than my old Razr V3.

When I had my old Razr, when I would receive an incoming call, while already on a call, if I ignored the 2nd call, once that call would go into voicemail, the system would put my current call on hold. I hand to press the HFL buttons to try and get the call back.

That and I would occasionally hear the phone beep as it would drop BT and then reacquire the link. Wierd.

I mentioned it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. I never pushed the issue because I figured out ways to work around it. It was obviously a phone/software issue because I don't experience that problem with my new phone.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thanks Hawks.

I really like the Blackberry Curve, but I want the datalink. The Blackberry models I looked at with ATT do not have data modems, hence no AcuraLink capability.

The TREO 680 and new Tilt are the only ATT models that appear to have full capability with HFL & AcuraLink. The TREO 680 was a Bluetooth disaster, so I returned it (and much more appreciate the RAZR V3 I have reverted back to). The Tilt has, on paper, the configuration to support HFL & AcuraLink, but it is not tested by Acura HFL yet.

A poster on the RDX board replied he is using the Tilt with full capability, however, he just got it and cannot speak to performance / reliability yet. I am TRYING to be patient!

Are you ATT as well? I find the RAZR V3 Bluetooth very robust, better than most. I know the RAZR V3 with Verizon had issues with Bluetooth as each carrier has the phones modified to accomodate branding and network capabilities.

I thought Technology was supposed to make our lives EASIER!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:51 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks Hawks.

I really like the Blackberry Curve, but I want the datalink. The Blackberry models I looked at with ATT do not have data modems, hence no AcuraLink capability.

The TREO 680 and new Tilt are the only ATT models that appear to have full capability with HFL & AcuraLink. The TREO 680 was a Bluetooth disaster, so I returned it (and much more appreciate the RAZR V3 I have reverted back to). The Tilt has, on paper, the configuration to support HFL & AcuraLink, but it is not tested by Acura HFL yet.

A poster on the RDX board replied he is using the Tilt with full capability, however, he just got it and cannot speak to performance / reliability yet. I am TRYING to be patient!

Are you ATT as well? I find the RAZR V3 Bluetooth very robust, better than most. I know the RAZR V3 with Verizon had issues with Bluetooth as each carrier has the phones modified to accomodate branding and network capabilities.

I thought Technology was supposed to make our lives EASIER!
Yep. I have AT&T. Been with them for 9 years. Been very happy with them.

What is it about Acuralink that you want? The diagnostics? I've had my Pearl for over two months and I'm really not wanting for anything.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

I like to have the full functionality, a much as it will be rarely needed. Maybe the same reason I like Acura...comes loaded.

But as I am researching th TILT, I now see the new Moto Q Global released a few days ago! Geez! I like Moto's and I ind the Bluetooth on Motos robust. But it is too new for HFL test results and to get performance feedback with the HFL from othe users.

I should just make a promise to myself and wait 6 months until the boards are full of yay or nay information on either model. But then again, I waffled over a damn wood wheel for nearly a year!

Oy.