Stupid XM NAV Traffic question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid XM NAV Traffic question

I just bought a pre-owned 05 RL from a private seller, so no dealer to show me the ropes.

My problem is I signed up for XM Radio with extra NAV Traffic option and the XM radio is working fine, but how do I tell if NAV Traffic is?

I think you can get incident and construction icons to appear on regular navigation screen, without signing up for NAV traffic with XM, by just saying "show traffic." I get the traffic bar at bottom of screen and a few construction/incident icons appear from time to time, but I don't see anything that indicates heavy traffic, like a double red line or anything that's especially useful in addition to those icons.

So is my NAV traffic from XM working? What is it supposed to do? They've re-set it twice. And I'm in Orlando, which they say is available for XM NAV Traffic.

Sorry, if I'm a novice at this, but it's my first car with navigation, so I'm new to all this.

P.S. Can I assume AcuraLink is working and will notify me when service is due or is there something I have to do to activate that. Don't want to link it to my phone, just have it appear in the car.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
If you are getting construction and accident icons appearing, then it is on. That's all part of the XM Navtraffic.

If you also go to the website below to check what roads in your area are covered. If a road in your area supports traffic flow information, that road should be colored red, yellow, or green.

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc
Old 02-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Racer

In addition, make sure you are in the right zoom range to see the traffic flow lines, not all zoom levels will show this.

Pete
Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by petemc
In addition, make sure you are in the right zoom range to see the traffic flow lines, not all zoom levels will show this.

Pete
Why is it that sometimes the traffic bar displays on my "zoom line" at the bottom of the screen and sometimes it doesn't? Couldn't find anything in the manual.

LL
Old 02-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by askus
I just bought a pre-owned 05 RL from a private seller, so no dealer to show me the ropes.

My problem is I signed up for XM Radio with extra NAV Traffic option and the XM radio is working fine, but how do I tell if NAV Traffic is?

I think you can get incident and construction icons to appear on regular navigation screen, without signing up for NAV traffic with XM, by just saying "show traffic." I get the traffic bar at bottom of screen and a few construction/incident icons appear from time to time, but I don't see anything that indicates heavy traffic, like a double red line or anything that's especially useful in addition to those icons.

So is my NAV traffic from XM working? What is it supposed to do? They've re-set it twice. And I'm in Orlando, which they say is available for XM NAV Traffic.

Sorry, if I'm a novice at this, but it's my first car with navigation, so I'm new to all this.

P.S. Can I assume AcuraLink is working and will notify me when service is due or is there something I have to do to activate that. Don't want to link it to my phone, just have it appear in the car.

Thanks.
As far as I know, NavTraffic is a paid-for subscription service. I don't know what is available for Orlando...you should check the navtraffic site to see what they offer for Orlando.

However...

For NavTraffic to work you need to be within a satellite feed area. For instance, where I live in Mississippi, I get no signal from any of the locations where NavTraffic is available...absolutely none. If I drive towards Birmingham, I begin to get some Atlanta NavTraffic somewhere West of the Mississippi/Alabama line, and have full capabilities in Birmingham. If I drive towards Dallas, I will not get any Dallas NavTraffic until I cross the Louisiana/Texas line on I20 just West of Shreveport. Dallas will not show up while in Shreveport...have to cross over into Texas. Dallas works in several East Texas locations where I've been lately.

Not all cities will display traffic volumes...for instance, Dallas only shows incidents...at least the last time I checked.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks. I guess I am getting it then, since I do see construction and incident icons and I have the TRAFFIC bar showing on bottom of screen. I see Orlando isn't set up yet for traffic flow indicators yet, so that's why I'm not seeing that on major highways, just the construction and incident icons.

But am now wondering if it's worth the extra $1.99 a month as it really doesn't do anything better than what I can get listening to AM traffic reports during rush hour or tuning to the Orlando traffic station on XM radio.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by askus
But am now wondering if it's worth the extra $1.99 a month as it really doesn't do anything better than what I can get listening to AM traffic reports during rush hour or tuning to the Orlando traffic station on XM radio.
Viewpoints are all over the board. Some folks don't seem to think paying for subscriptions that keep the stuff working that came with the car to be worth it (OnStar, NavTraffic, XM Satellite, etc.), but so far, I've opted to keep everything functional...the options that were available on the RL are why I bought the RL...without this stuff, I wouldn't have bought an RL...I don't use some of this often, but it's there...YMMV.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
Why is it that sometimes the traffic bar displays on my "zoom line" at the bottom of the screen and sometimes it doesn't? Couldn't find anything in the manual.

LL
You need to go to the Icon menu and turn on the traffic icon. Otherwise, the zoom line will not show the traffic bar.

Rob144