Strange SiriusXM reception issue...not all channels???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 AM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Strange SiriusXM reception issue...not all channels???

I have had Sirius since Howard Stern joined them. Since then I have had many portable Sirius tuners over the years and they all had incredibly good reception. Even in the woods with trees covering the road the reception almost never dropped. I am in the car business so I have driving many cars with XM installed and the reception has never been as good. It drops often with any cover. I have gotten use to it in my 2005 RL but something strange is going on now. For some reason I am getting "No Signal" or a signal that keeps dropping every few seconds. Even on a clear day with nothing blocking the sky. This is happening on Howard Stern channel 100. When it happens if I try the comedy channels directly below, 99-98-97 etc they are also having the same issue. If I switch to a music station, like 26, 32, 34 etc they are working properly. Switch back to 100 and still no signal or it is breaking up badly. Also, sometimes if I leave it on channel 100 with no signal for a few minutes it will sometimes switch to channel 001 and start playing the preview channel. A few times when the car first starts and I am listening to whatever station it will randomly switch back to channel 001 every minute. It will keep doing this until I power cycle the car.

This sounds like a programming issue to me so I did a refresh. That didn't help. I then called SiriusXM and they supposedly did a "reset". That didn't change anything either.

So now I am wondering if there is an issue with my car. I can't imagine there is because it seems to only be on the XM channels you have to pay extra for. Getting Howard Stern on a Sirius tuner is much cheaper than on an XM tuner. I imagine it has something to do with his contract. So for some reason the channels you have to pay extra for are having the issue. Maybe the Howard Stern channel is broadcast from a different satellite and that is the reason I am having an issue in RI because it isn't offering proper coverage in the North East?

I can't imagine it is an issue with the car but SiriusXM is going to tell me it is. Is anyone having or has had this issue? If so please post where you live and what your solution was. It is so bad at this point that I can barely listen to Howard Stern.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I've had similar issues with my XM but they are so far and few in between that I wouldn't even call it an issue per say. What's funny is if you look thru service logs for the first owner, on two occasions he complained of a generic XM satellite issue that the dealer was never able to replicate. Ironically enough, I'll have an issue that never seems to replicate either where out of the blues XM will cut in and out for a few seconds on a perfectly clear day when the sun is out, and it only happens after I drove the car for a period of time. The number of times I've had it happen to me in my almost 5 years as owner, I can honestly count on two hands which is why I never really cared to address it and just chalked it up to local satellite reception.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Since xm and sirius merged, new deals were signed. (of course, now its a monopoly ).

Howard Stern became like the cable of satellite channels. You need to get an extra membership to receive that. No more part of the basic channels.

Playboy protested, and left entirely. Started their own internet radio channel.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Pro

What I would like to know is why some channels I am not have reception issues with but with others I am.

Here is another example. Tonight I left my house with it on Howard Stern channel 100. No signal, nothing but blank air. I then switched to every music preset I have saved on the same XM1 source, 26, 32, 34, 37, 42. All of them worked properly, When I would stop on 100 I would get nothing. I left it on 100 for over a minute with nothing but dead air then it switched to 001, the preview channel, on its own. I immediately hit the preset for 100 and it was working. It broke up shortly after, which can happen of course, but it worked a for a few seconds.

Something odd is going on. I would love to talk to a free speaking siriusxm engineer to see if they have the answer. I guess it could be an issue with my car antenna or radio but I doubt that since most channels the reception is excellent.

I am leaning towards the Howard Stern and certain other channels are broadcast from a different satellite and maybe this time of year it doesn't offer great reception over RI.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:12 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I had similar issues I noticed it was only on stations that were saved to a preset 1 2 3 4 5 6 so I deleted the station from a preset and reassigned it to a different number and the channel seemed to work better. I even left a few stations from even being programmed at all. I then later assigned the stations back to a preset and it continued to work fine, no more cutting out. I can't explain the reason to this but I went from thinking my xm radio needed to be relaced, from all the cutting in and out, to being just fine.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Pro

Changing presets didn't help.

I am assuming this is a signal issue in the North East. Is anyone here from New England having similar issues?