Rearview camera pictures 2006 RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006 | 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Rearview camera pictures 2006 RL

I've seen only one picture of the backup camera so I thought I'd post some shots I took of mine.

Camera from the rear. The dealer removes the trunk release button to place the camera in the center of the recessed area where the license plate is attached. A new, smaller button is installed to the right--you should be barely able to see it in this picture.

A better picture of the install location.

The rearview camera comes on immediately if you are at the nag screen for the navi system. If you have just turned on the car, you have to wait for the navi splash screen to finish up, then a couple of seconds after the nag screen appears the picture will pop up. During that period, I'm usually putting on my seatbelt anyway, so the wait is not bothersome. Your marker is the rear of the bumper, which you can see very clearly even in this blurred, ISO 100 picture (wish I had a tripod to fit in the car!). The lens is a wideview, so when backing out of a parking space, you can see to either side of the car directly behind you. This is a handy feature if you are parked between two SUVs.

This is the car's exact location in comparison to the rearview camera image above. I would say it's pretty accurate. Please note that the camera image is "reversed" from what you might expect--it shows you what you would see in a rearview mirror.

It can be difficult to use the camera in direct sunlight, as the image quality degrades somewhat. Otherwise, the camer's quality is adequate for the job it has to do. At night, the reverse lights provide enough illumnation for you to see where you're going. This is similarly helpful in a dark garage. You still have to actually look where you are going, especially entering a parking space, and the camera provides a good adjunct to your own vision. This is my first rearview camera and so I have no comparison to make with others. So far, well worth the money spent.
The following users liked this post:
wildwayne (01-16-2012)
Old 12-31-2006 | 12:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the pics. Now, that's pretty slick, I must say...

It looks like, in the displayed rear view pic you put up, the bumper is actually seen at the bottom of the screen so you can actually gauge distance or am I seeing that wrong?

I'm beginning to think this might be a worthwhile mod, after all.
Old 01-02-2007 | 06:43 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by bmerton
It looks like, in the displayed rear view pic you put up, the bumper is actually seen at the bottom of the screen so you can actually gauge distance or am I seeing that wrong?
It shows in mine... which is invaluable, especially with the larger turning radius of the car.
Old 01-02-2007 | 06:38 PM
Instructor

Thanks!