project--Android tablet as carputer on nav screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
project--Android tablet as carputer on nav screen

OK, useless as it is, I always wanted a carputer. The car is so high tech, I want to really blow peoples minds with the electronics in my car! Here's what I have so far.

USAspec iPod adapter, working, but install not finished, need to run cables

A Toshiba Thrive 8GB tablet with HDMI out (720p)

A little bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control the tablet with since we don't have touchscreen. It works great!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160748695975...ht_6626wt_1186

Now since the video adaptors for the RL all suck and only have composite, I have to get this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-HDMI-to...item5ae6d0d626

OK, that's cheap, hope it makes a clean NTSC 480i picture

Now I need the video adaptor, and that's where I am still undecided. I think the best price right now is TV and Nav togo? What else do you guys suggest. There's another brand that escapes me right now that everyone has but apparently no one can get it or info from the vendor. Help here please? Would love to have the switching be done by holding the cancel button but switch is fine too. gonna run cat5 to the console for switches and future subwoofer control.

The other thing, and this is for another forum is that I need to root my android cell phone so I can make it mobile hotspot, or better yet a bluetooth hotspot, but that would require rooting the tablet as well, which I am reluctant to do. Although rooting the tablet would allow me to set the output resolution of the HDMI out to 480p which would generate much more readable text on the Acura screen. I need internet to make the tablet connect for all the cool things it does, otherwise it's just a media player.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shahram72
OK, useless as it is, I always wanted a carputer. The car is so high tech, I want to really blow peoples minds with the electronics in my car! Here's what I have so far.

USAspec iPod adapter, working, but install not finished, need to run cables

A Toshiba Thrive 8GB tablet with HDMI out (720p)

A little bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control the tablet with since we don't have touchscreen. It works great!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160748695975...ht_6626wt_1186

Now since the video adaptors for the RL all suck and only have composite, I have to get this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-HDMI-to...item5ae6d0d626

OK, that's cheap, hope it makes a clean NTSC 480i picture

Now I need the video adaptor, and that's where I am still undecided. I think the best price right now is TV and Nav togo? What else do you guys suggest. There's another brand that escapes me right now that everyone has but apparently no one can get it or info from the vendor. Help here please? Would love to have the switching be done by holding the cancel button but switch is fine too. gonna run cat5 to the console for switches and future subwoofer control.

The other thing, and this is for another forum is that I need to root my android cell phone so I can make it mobile hotspot, or better yet a bluetooth hotspot, but that would require rooting the tablet as well, which I am reluctant to do. Although rooting the tablet would allow me to set the output resolution of the HDMI out to 480p which would generate much more readable text on the Acura screen. I need internet to make the tablet connect for all the cool things it does, otherwise it's just a media player.

What do you guys think?

Sound fun! post DIY photos!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
yes

Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Racer

I have no pics to show because I have not done anything yet. I gave some links of some of the parts I plan to use. I am typing this right now on that little bluetooth keyboard connected to my Toshiba Thrive.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but the Tesla Model S has a giant tablet-esque screen where normally the radio and HVAC controls and such would go. All the controls are operated from different tabs on the screen. The navigation system uses Google Maps, and the lady couldn't tell me what happens when you're in the middle of nowhere with no cell towers to feed it, like when I was driving up to Yellowstone the other day and there's just no data anywhere for most of the trip. Call me old fashioned, but a car is one place where physical interfaces simply belong. I wonder how many wrecked Teslas we'll be seeing whose owners were looking down and to the right to try to change the air conditioning.

Back on topic, where will you put the tablet?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Racer

The tablet will just sit in the trunk in a pouch, but I can't figure how to turn the screen off when the HDMI is plugged in, you think that would be automatic. I still need to finish the USA spec install, I'm kinda stalled cause I need to leave it in the trunk so I can reboot it every once in a while. And I'm going to have to put the carputer project on hold for a little while. I have had my hours cut at work when I should be getting overtime! My income is about halved lately. I can make bills but don't have any "fun" money, plus a family vacation to DC coming up in a few weeks. Good thing we are staying with family and the museums are free! But still, that week will cost hundreds in gas, food, and incidentals, and that takes priority. I'm still going to do it, but it's pushed back until after vacation. Still going to continue to research and post here, maybe some better options will pop up.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
I'll subscribe. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Enjoy DC!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Hey I looked at your video connector and I also see that you want to use and Android tablet. I was looking around at electronics the other day and came across this piece:

http://www.pandawill.com/cx01-mini-a...gb-p64374.html

With the video adapter that you are going to use. This looks like it would work. On top of that you can use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with this. And of course you have the obvious advantages with it being so small. Plus it runs Android 4.0 and has 8GB of storage. Just a thought.

Here's a video on youtube. Check it out and see what it can do. Only $50 not bad at all. And if you get the pointer thing you might be able to play games in the car as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by coopcoop30
Hey I looked at your video connector and I also see that you want to use and Android tablet. I was looking around at electronics the other day and came across this piece:

With the video adapter that you are going to use. This looks like it would work. On top of that you can use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with this. And of course you have the obvious advantages with it being so small. Plus it runs Android 4.0 and has 8GB of storage. Just a thought.

Here's a video on youtube. Check it out and see what it can do. Only $50 not bad at all. And if you get the pointer thing you might be able to play games in the car as well.
Forgot the link:

Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^Good find! I'm guessing the USB is for power?

Last edited by EL19; 07-26-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by L's TL
^^^Good find! I'm guessing the USB is for power?
Yea. The micro USB port is used for power. The larger USB port is for your bluetooth dongle. Doesn't look like a bad set up especially since the OP wanted an Android set up.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I might get this, the composite to HDMI adapter, and a tvandnavtogo and call it a day. Thatd be a nice setup. It'd be nice if they had some reviews on the site. I didn't see any unless I overlooked them.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
If you get it let us all know what you think. Looks like an interesting little gadget.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Racer

Doesn't look to be a bad product. It's probably more beneficial for long trips. It does have Wi-fi too for internet in the car.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Racer

Been gone for a while. Too many hours at work and too many hobbies with unfinished projects. I just discovered these little devices. Yes, much better option than a whole tablet, but there is one problem, I cannot find one with built-in bluetooth which is ridiculous for an Android product (connection to phones?). I don't think a bluetooth dongle will work, they are meant to be recognized by a mac or pc with drivers to run them. Does Android have drivers to recognize and used devices like this? A 2.4g mouse dongle is different, it just looks like a mouse or keyboard to the Android or computer. I already have a nice mini bluetooth keyboard/mouse that was quite expensive at $45 from China.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shahram72
Been gone for a while. Too many hours at work and too many hobbies with unfinished projects. I just discovered these little devices. Yes, much better option than a whole tablet, but there is one problem, I cannot find one with built-in bluetooth which is ridiculous for an Android product (connection to phones?). I don't think a bluetooth dongle will work, they are meant to be recognized by a mac or pc with drivers to run them. Does Android have drivers to recognize and used devices like this? A 2.4g mouse dongle is different, it just looks like a mouse or keyboard to the Android or computer. I already have a nice mini bluetooth keyboard/mouse that was quite expensive at $45 from China.
I know this thread is old but I just got around to reading it again. You don't need built-in bluetooth. If you look at the second picture on this page:

you'll see that the USB port is for the keyboard or mouse. If you go to the video tab at the bottom of the page. You will see that they are using a pointer of sorts with the bluetooth dongle plugged into that keyboard/mouse usb.