PA15-ACUxl on 2006 RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA15-ACUxl on 2006 RL

I just got this for my 06 RL with nav and traffic. I planned to hook my iPhone 4 to it.

I installed it, but with the new harness in place, i cannot control my stereo (like using the scroll wheel on the car's stereo).

Did anybody run into this problem? I double checked the connections and the dip switches, all seemed okay/according to instruction.

Also, I was not able to get the car responding to the iphone. No music playback of any kind.

Any responses would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alas I don't have an iPhone, but perhaps some additional info can help someone who does have it.

Did you install the PA15-ACUx to the XM module in the trunk?

By cannot control your stereo, do you mean that nothing works with it installed (ie CDs, FM, etc...)?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
yeah I dont follow what exactly the issue is.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Cruisin'

ahh yes. sorry for being a little vague here.

I did install it via the trunk nav disk player as instructed. There are some switches on the unit that you have to set correctly before operation, and according to the manual, i did.

When its plugged in (that is, when the ipod harness is inbetween the factory xm plug and the nav disk player) my stereo ceases to respond to human interaction.

But only partially. everything south of the preset station buttons no longer respond. In other words, the menu, audio, info, a/c etc, as well as the factory scroll wheel used to navigate the RL's menus do not do anything.

It acts as if something is disconnected, even though everything is connected as the instructions ask.

Now with the harness installed, i can still select xm, cd, am/fm, and the steering wheel controls still work. i can do volume and so forth. Imagine operating all of your audio on the heads up display above the navigation screen.

but furthermore, with the ipod/iphone plugged in, i can't produce music from it to the car's stereo.

------------------------------

Now i will say this, a couple of months back my car bottomed out (terrible houston roads) and my navigation started acting very fishy. It would lag, fail to produce directions, and/or lock up. I checked out the dvd, and it looks like a wolverine went to town on it. I'm under the impression that the force of the impact really did some damage to my disk, it really looks heinous.

I think this could be partially the problem. that and/or the iphone harness unit I received is defective.

btw, if anybody has an old navigation disc they'd like to sell, i'd be happy to purchase it. I just can't bring myself to drop 200 on a new dvd disc, especially when i have gps on my phone. I'd rather just get a used disk to stop the system from glitching so things run right.

I hope that was a little more descriptive, installation wise i didn't find it difficult, but maybe i missed something obvious that some of you may have experienced during your installs.

Last edited by ruahokie09; 08-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is where you lost me:

I did install it via the trunk nav disk player as instructed
Doesnt the PA15 goes on the XM box, not the nav unit?

As for the disc, thats sucks.... have you tried old tricks like wax and/or tooth paste?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Here is where you lost me:

Doesnt the PA15 goes on the XM box, not the nav unit?

As for the disc, thats sucks.... have you tried old tricks like wax and/or tooth paste?

HA! this was a perfect response. I am an idiot. For some reason i thought from the instructions (instructions said trunk, driver side) that the plugs going into the back of the dvd nav was what i needed to tap into.

Sure enough, the plugs the dvd nav uses is the exact same as the xm radio, which is where the confusion was, as they connected perfectly.

After seeing your post I went downstairs to hunt for other receivers on the left side of the trunk and managed to find it. I also had difficulty removing that plug (that one is in extra tight), but once everything was installed it worked like a charm. I am very pleased with this product.

---------------------------------------

2 things:

I suggest proclipusa.com if you are looking for a clean mounting solution for your ipod/iphone (if you want to have it accessible as opposed to hidden).

secondly, you may have already known this, but with an iphone paired to your car via bluetooth, and with it connected in direct mode playing music, try using voice command. It almost feels like it was designed for this in mind. It will dim the music in the car, then use your bluetooth to await your command. You can state a playlist, artist, etc instead of using the controls. Even better, no more programming numbers into your handsfree link... just use your iphone's voice control to call your friends! if this wasn't already known I'll make a new thread for it so people can find this hint a bit easier.

------------------------------------------

I haven't tried the tricks you mentioned regarding the dvd. I used soap water (netflix suggests that with their dvds), but I'll give the toothpaste one a try. Atleast i can say now it was the installation and not the dvd that was preventing my ipod link from working.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Fantastic, glad you got it fixed.

Those are old tricks I used on CDs back in the day... it may work.

I think I have my old o5 nav disc laying around... PM me if needed I'll look for it.