New (first time) Acura RL owner + audio tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
New (first time) Acura RL owner + audio tips

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2006 RL and so far absolutely loving it. The wife thinks it has way too much oomph and too gadgety so she plans to stay away from it (yesss!!!). Alas, I have a feeling this won't last long as she found another excuse to take the car today because the kids forced her to.

The forum and the lengthy manuals have been helpful and I am hoping to return the favor by providing some insight on an MP3 CD and how it works. To summarize:

1. Burn MP3's on CD's only, DVD's are not supported
2. Manual says WMA but apparently it doesn't work...I haven't tested it personally
3. I used Windows 7 to burn my MP3's onto a CD. If not, there are plenty of software solutions out there.
4. My folder structure was:

- Led Zepplin
- REM
- Amy Crackhouse
- etc.

Under each folder above I had variuos albums (i.e. a sub folder) and songs in the appropriate folders.

I didn't see the lag time issue others have reported but that could be because I didn't create excessive folders.

Issues I see are:
1. Nav screen shows the album name as the first folder it sees (in this case Led Zepplin) even though it is playing songs in the different folder.
2. Song name is displayed correctly
3. Track count is incremental (1 through n)

Oh well, it works for now. One of these days I will look into adding a device that gives me a USB port and/or a headphone jack.

As for Handsfree Link, I have been able to pair it with a Palm Treo Pro with no problems. Haven't tested the acuralink with it, sounds like others haven't found value in that anyway.

An annoyance I have seen is that the system makes a lot of mistakes with voice commands when the car is in motion (I have followed the instructions in the manual, keep vents pointed away, windows closed, etc.) but I literally have to shout for it to understand me. It works 90% of the time when the car is idle.

Peace.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome!

I have burned both WMA and MP3 to the same cd and it just ignored the WMAs. I did not try just a straight WMA disc though as I dont have many files in WMA.

If you want to be WOWed by the audio system pick up a DVDA disc.

Have fun with the new car!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by home4sale2
Hi all,

An annoyance I have seen is that the system makes a lot of mistakes with voice commands when the car is in motion (I have followed the instructions in the manual, keep vents pointed away, windows closed, etc.) but I literally have to shout for it to understand me. It works 90% of the time when the car is idle.

Peace.
You might want to check with the dealer on that. There is a microphone calibration setting in the diagnostic screens. When I had the notorious 4.62 upgrade issue, I got stuck in the diagnostic screen, pressed a couple of buttons to try to exit, and ended up resetting the microphone sensitivity. Had to shout VR for it to work. They fixed it at no charge.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
You might want to check with the dealer on that. There is a microphone calibration setting in the diagnostic screens. When I had the notorious 4.62 upgrade issue, I got stuck in the diagnostic screen, pressed a couple of buttons to try to exit, and ended up resetting the microphone sensitivity. Had to shout VR for it to work. They fixed it at no charge.
I agree. My voice command works well at normal voice volume and car in motion.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Welcome, congrats and thanks for the tips. The RL is one great car!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
found this

hold map, cancel, menu for 5 seconds

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...nav+diagnostic
Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Advanced

Thanks all.

Got into the diag screens, think it understands me better now, need to test it on the hwy on the next trip.

Need to take it in to make sure I don't have an airbag issue. When no one's in the passenger seat, I see the light (airbag off) under the emergency button (working like it should). When my daughter sits in the front seat (or wife) - both over 100 pounds, the airbag off light goes off (as it should). But twice now I have gotten messages on the console about airbag off. I have been careful not to put anything on the passenger seat and because this message is airbag related, I am concerned. Anyone else getting these messages? I have deleted this message twice but it comes back after a day or so. Thx.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Thanks all.

Got into the diag screens, think it understands me better now, need to test it on the hwy on the next trip.

Need to take it in to make sure I don't have an airbag issue. When no one's in the passenger seat, I see the light (airbag off) under the emergency button (working like it should). When my daughter sits in the front seat (or wife) - both over 100 pounds, the airbag off light goes off (as it should). But twice now I have gotten messages on the console about airbag off. I have been careful not to put anything on the passenger seat and because this message is airbag related, I am concerned. Anyone else getting these messages? I have deleted this message twice but it comes back after a day or so. Thx.
Have you placed anything in the pax seat like a messenger bag, briefcase or the like? If it has enough weight to trigger the sensor, the airbag OFF message will appear in the NAVI message center.

Also, I have triggered the airbag OFF sensor by just leaning on the passenger seat while rifling through the glovebox.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
As for Handsfree Link, I have been able to pair it with a Palm Treo Pro with no problems. Haven't tested the acuralink with it, sounds like others haven't found value in that anyway.
I have the unlocked GSM Treo Pro and it works flawlessly with Hands Free Link, but it will not work with AcuraLink. I believe it is a shortcoming of Windows Mobile Professional as I've yet to find a WinMo Pro device that works with AcuraLink. It's strange because the Treo Pro shows dial-up networking as one as one of the services available after pairing with the car, and the phone can obviously be used as a modem, but it just doesn't work. I had a Moto Q9h (WinMo Standard) that worked fine with AcuraLink.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Hope everyone had a great 4th. The airbag sensor issue has not returned (I must have accidently triggered it while leaning on the seat as you mentioned). I deliberately put a bag on the passenger seat and the sensor responded as it should so it seems to be doing well.

As for the acuralink, I suspect the issue is with AT&T (or one's carrier) proxy. One thing I do see is that you can't have HFL on. There are additional screens which allow me to configure my carrier's settings which I need to play with further. On the phone side, I know I need internet sharing and tethering enabled and my phone connects to AT&T but the car eventually times out trying to find the phone. Keep you guys posted.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

As for the acuralink, I suspect the issue is with AT&T (or one's carrier) proxy. One thing I do see is that you can't have HFL on. There are additional screens which allow me to configure my carrier's settings which I need to play with further. On the phone side, I know I need internet sharing and tethering enabled and my phone connects to AT&T but the car eventually times out trying to find the phone. Keep you guys posted.
I assume you have ATT as your cell carrier. I also have ATT.

Which phone model are you using? You can verify on the Acura website which phones models under which carriers have which feature capability with the which Acura vehicles.

If you have ATT, yes you need a dataplan for AcuraLink to work full feature. The phone must have a datamodem, which most people equate to tethering capability. Some carriers disable some functions with software, even if the phone has the correct hardware. But for out of the box compatibility, check the HFL website from Acura.com.

Now, as far as the pairing vs. datalink connection. Once you pair the phone, you need not reconfigure the HFL profile for datalink. If your phone is capable, the RL usually tells you so once you complete pairing set up.

What is timing out? The pairing process? Your phone will need to be set to 'allow other devices to see me' for the RL HFL to pair.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Advanced

I have ATT and Palm Treo Plus, pairing and bluetooth works as it should.

I have the dataplan and can tether my phone with my laptop but I recall having to mess around with proxy settings. I suspect I have to do the same with acuralink and was therefore responding or adding to a previous post as to perhaps why people have not been able to use acuralink with my phone and others like it. One of these days, I will try it but curious if anyone has already gone that route as those settings are configurable.

Thx.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Hopefully someone will chime in.

I did try a Palm Treo (earlier model) when I decided to step up to the smartphone from my Moto RAZR. The HFL website indicated it was compatible with HFL and Acuralink. Indeed it paired and successfully set up with Acuralink. But it constantly locked up the HFL profile and would not disengage from the car, forcing me to manually toggle the HFL profile on and off leaving or approaching the car.

Frustrated I returned the Treo within my 30 day trial and went to the Moto Q 9h. It has full feature capability with the RL and has been flawless with HFL and Acuralink.

I do miss the Treo touchscreen!