Neo Audio vs USA Spec for iPod

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Neo Audio vs USA Spec for iPod

Because I have a non-XM headunit in my 06 RL here in Canada, the only USA Spec adapter I can use is the one that essentially appears as CD changer to the factory headunit. Looks like there are a few compromises with this - you have to have 6 playlists specifically designated on the iPod (to match the 6 disc slots, a "7th" list is all tracks on the iPod) and it seems you lose the ability to control the iPod directly from the iPod screen.

In the TL forum I found a few Canadians who are using the Neo Audio adapter with the TL non-XM headunit. This apparently gives you full control on the iPod itself, and also from the factory audio system controls and at least with the TL headunit also shows the track info. This is good because I can use already existing playlists on the iPod, which is the same way I have my iPod setup in my other car with an aftermarket deck...and as a bonus in the RL I should be able to skip tracks, etc from the steering wheel controls.

Of course, the TL headunit is different from the RL, and I don't see much info on the Neo site that actually details the install or even shows the actual hookup connection other than mentioning it "plugs right in to your factory stereo".

Has anyone used the Neo in an RL? How about Hawaii members who it seems also got no factory XM?

Is there any place I can find a schematic or photo of the connections on the back of the Canadian RL factory headunit? I don't relish the thought of tearing the radio out just to discover no available connection for the Neo unit...
Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
The old Neo, which uses the auxillary CD changer port works fine. No displays on the nav screen, just says EXTENSION on it. The Neo appears to be a rebranded USA Spec. Not sure if there is some PROM they reflashed, or what.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess the question is, is there an available port on the back of the CDN-spec non-XM headunit?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey BluNosr2 - all the acura's have the available port on the back.

My two cents (As I had a USA Spec and switched to the Neo): The USA Spec just allows you to switch between 4 or 5 playlists and the tracks up or down. The Neo allows control on the radio for more playlists (I have 26 and it allows me to get them all), and I can track between artists and albums on the radio. Also, I don't think the USA allows you to switch between iPod mode and radio mode on the radio but I know my Neo unit allows the difference.

The Neo has a lot more options. Chas - I had the USA Spec piece and the Neo is different - it came in a smaller plastic box and the USA Spec was twice as big and white.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Interesting>

My Neo, bought in 2007, was indistinguishable from the USASpec case with the fins, except it had the Neo name/logo pasted over the area where the USASpec would have been printed. I did not bother to peel off the label to see if it said USASpec. Don't know about the additional functionality.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
4th Gear

I got mine in 2008 - the box is black plastic.

The added functionality is cool when I leave my iPod in the glove box.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Intermediate

I spent time searching and reading but there isn't what I would consider 'definitive' information regarding the iPod integration options. I'm about to buy a used 06 RL. My first question is was SAT option on the radio standard for that year? My second question is which iPod integration is CURRENTLY the best? It appears initially Neo Audio was just rebranding USASPec's product but their current product is better in that it displays playlist and track artist/title info to navigate with? What about DICE?