NAVTOOL with 2005 RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVTOOL with 2005 RL

hey guys, i recently ordered NAVTOOL Unit from the group buy, it has arrived, however i noticed there are no audio jacks in there... how do i get sound out of the stereo of my 2005 RL?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

also looking for a good backup camera to hook up
any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I posted something similar as I need to feed audio from the Iphone while playing videos. The adapter coming out was just delayed , but if it does come out it will hopefully allow for this issue. Another option would be a FM transmitter.

There are a few cameras on ebay that work well with the navtool. Works like it should on my 05 once placed in reverse.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Advanced

which camera did you use?
and what are others with RL's doing for audio right now??
any idea?
btw, that gs400 looks pimp on ur car page :P
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
The current USA Spec and Neo Audio units work to bring in sound hardwire to the headunit. Gives you an iPod connection and a stereo RCA input that is usually connected to a Y RCA to 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.

I have also read, but not researched that Dice and Blitzsafe make higher end units that do the same or more. This works now.

The so called USA Spec HON3 does the same, but also displays iPod Text on the NAV screen, which no one does now, unless the XM is disconnected.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced

ok so i would use the new audio unit instead of the navtool??
or is that just a audio unit to work in conjunction with navtool?
and i have a Canadian RL, 2005, so no XM button
would it still work?
hmmmm...
Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

The Navtool is a video interface. You still need and audio interface.

I would call up any of the four companies and discuss your audio interface requirements with a tech, and make your decision.

Blitz Audio
Dice Electronics
Neo Car Audio
USASpec

there may be others
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Advanced

i dont think i have any of those in Toronto, Ontario...
hmmmmm
i want to take a look at that neo audio device you mentioned though..
Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SNACKMAN
i dont think i have any of those in Toronto, Ontario...
hmmmmm
i want to take a look at that neo audio device you mentioned though..
I believe that Neo is a rebranded USA Spec. It may or may not have slightly different firmware, but functionality seems the same. Only difference is it cost more for this San Diego, CA based product.

I got this in 2007 based on talk going on in the RDX forum.

All this speculation aside, mine works flawless for iPod or any other device with a 3.5 mm headphone jack.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Advanced

only problem is i dont have a XM button on my car, because its Canadian spec with cooled seats and headlight washers.... but no XM
Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

So talk to the manufacturers about this. The way these units work is you press the disc button to toggle between the DVD-A player and the auxiliary sound input. It should work without the XM button. I never have to press the XM button. These units work without interfering with the XM. The idea with the HON3, if it ever comes to fruition, is that the iPod takes over the XM port so you can display iPod text instead of XM text.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Advanced

ohhh i was confusing the two
so to access your aux port, you just press the disc button?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Advanced

http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_i...oducts_id=1024

on that site, it says i need to order another harness too?
what is that harness for??? any idea?
and whats your setup bro?
do you use the neo one? or the usa spec one?
and did you need that extra harness?
also whats a really small dvd player that i can hook up to this unit / navtool? i want something small so i can keep it in my glove box or somewhere in the front.
chas, thanks for your responses, you are really the only one who has helped me out and i appreciate it!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SNACKMAN
http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_i...oducts_id=1024

on that site, it says i need to order another harness too?
what is that harness for??? any idea?
and whats your setup bro?
do you use the neo one? or the usa spec one?
and did you need that extra harness?
also whats a really small dvd player that i can hook up to this unit / navtool? i want something small so i can keep it in my glove box or somewhere in the front.
chas, thanks for your responses, you are really the only one who has helped me out and i appreciate it!
My set up was installed in 2007. Here is a picture of the install, post #20. Back then, they also tried to market a unit that showed iPod text on the nav screen. IIRC, it had major teething issues, and was pulled off the market, and ultimately, did not provide the solution many were interested in, which was using the iPod with text AND XM. Here is some old stuff I wrote back in 2007:

Information I recall when I was researching this issue with Neo Audio, when they were trying to introduce, albeit unsuccessfully, a device that would output iPod text to the RL headunit:

The headunit has one input for satellite radio. The satellite radio is a physically separate receiver that plugs into the head unit. The ill fated Neo device, plugged into that text capable input and fed iPod data streams in place of the XM data streams.

This method is fundamentally different from their iPod adapter unit, which seems to work the same as, if not actually is a repackaged version of, the USASpec unit. That iPod adapter unit plugs into the Aux in, which I understand is set up primarily for CD changers.

Neo said they could not reroute the XM radio device through this Aux in. I guess you need a lot more interface to control XM radio which is much more complex that the data streams to control an auxillary CD changer.

So bottom line, to have iPod text and control, you needed the satellite radio input. This was in 2007.

As I recall, ultimately, the Neo solution did not work, and it was never marketed. Technology marches on, so there may be new solutions out there.

I understand that Peripheral Electronics may be the hot ticket these days, but they apparently do not support the RL head unit.

It would be great for others to comment on the above and update inaccuracies and the SOTA.

It now appears the state of the art has been advanced and you can do both, but I have not seen a solution for the RL. The one solution I recall seeing was the Peripheral Electronics for the TL, and about a year ago, an email reply to me from them was that they did not plan to support the RL. IIRC, the RDX, MDX and TL units were much more similar in design than the RL unit, but I honestly put little time into researching the issue back then.

I just looked at the Neo site, and it appears they have the solution working that I discussed in italics.

The next thing they are apparently working on, along with USA Spec is the capability to do both XM and iPod text, without losing the XM capability.

You only need the Neo ProLink PODHONR3V215.

If I were to do it over again, I would have tried to install the unit with more cable slack than I have now, so I could go up to the second layer of the center console and just have the iPod sitting in the top where the two doors open up on the armrest. I just have not gotten around to moving the unit to give me more slack.

I would call Neo or USA Spec or email them to find out for sure. Much of my info dates back to hardware available in early 2007, which I believe has since been superseded.