Navigation system reboot - possible problem identified on page 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation system reboot - possible problem identified on page 4

I have abou 2800 miles on my RL and I have not really had any probs with it. This evening, when I returned to the vehicle after work, I was informed that the car would not start. (I have an account at a garage where the car is parked and returned by a valet) I went down to where the car was and there was some power, but not enough to start the car. I had it jumped and thought possibly that the valet who parked the car had either not turned the car all the way off, or perhaps left an interior light on. However, on my way home the nav system rebooted about 6 times in 45 minutes. I did check to assure that the car would start again when I got it home and it did. I have had the Acura Link Module swapped as part of the 3 TSB update that lots of us had.
I have heard some stuff about this before, anyone had this kinda stuff happen AFTER having the big 3 TSB performed?
If this happens again or if the nav keeps rebooting, I'm obviously taking it back to the dealer.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Racer

Yikes. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems strange. I know acura has bought back a few of the RLs because of constant power drainage. I would suggest taking it to the dealer to have it checked out.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Did you park the car yourself or did the valet park it? Maybe there was a valet who didn't know how to turn off the car properly.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Navigation System problems

I was in the city last night and my navigation rebooted 7-10 times when I was driving and parked. I was wondering if any had this problem and can help me out. Thanks

I have merged the two threads which talk about the same thing. I am making this sticky for a few days until other people can post their experiences with this issue.

Edit: mod vp911
Old 11-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Same exact thing happened to me tonight (11/2/05).

Are you bringing it back to the dealer? I assume that will "have to see the problem" before remedying it.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

Angry

I just had my navigation reboot 7-10 times tonight. I have an appointment this coming up monday for some other problems. When I find out..i'll post my findings. But I feel your pain.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats odd. Hope you get it resolved without much trouble.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Advanced

My Navi rebooted itself 4 times tonight
Old 11-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by paul_philly
My Navi rebooted itself 4 times tonight
Same here maybe it's something with the system and not the car.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

I have some other problems...in which I'm gonna get checked out.

1) rattle noise in the back seat when I hit bumps and from the sub woofer

2) Rumbling noise when I lightly accelerate

3) Now... rebooting of my Navigation system.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Two in one night? That is odd
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Very strange...
Old 11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

Oh that is indeed strange. My navigation rebooted several times tonight too. I'd say at least 8-10 times. Stopped the car and started numerous times but it kept on happening. I've never had this problem before. I wonder if all this is connected somehow... I'm in So. California if anyone is interested to know.

Strange...
Old 11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmm. I wonder if its a software issue (like the Y2K bug)
Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NAvigation System Reboots every 5-8 minutes

Tonight my navigation system started rebooting as well. I had the AcuraLink recall done on 10/7. Just started rebooting tonight around 5pm in the San Francisco area.

If the problem is still happening tomorrow, I'll pull the fuse for a hard reset and see if that helps.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Racer

Mine rebooted once and it took 4 minutes before partial and then later complete navtraffic showed up. Weird.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Racer

Posted in a different thread that my system rebooted a few minutes after I started the car around 5.30 or so in the SF Bay Area. Little too much of a coincidence.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:40 AM
kgd
Instructor

I also hopped in the car tonight in the parking garage and did not have enough juice to start the car. The Valet's do park the cars but I have never had a problem before. Jump started the car and it was fine on the way home. The Nav system did not reboot because I couldn't find the code until I got home. I did check the voltage when I got home and it had over 13V with the engine on and over 12V with the engine off. I am hoping the valet did not get the car all the way turned off, but the car will beep at you if you don't turn it all the way off and take the key fob out of the car, which it was. I did check the lights noting none of them were left on.

I had read in other posts about a problem with the trunk release, but I did not get in the trunk today and I rarely use the release button anyway.

My car has less than 2,000 miles on it and has not had any of the TSB's applied to it as far as I know. Should I take it in to the dealer and have them look at it? Do I need to request that they apply to the TSB's to the car? I could have just been the Valet, never had a problem before.

Kris
Old 11-03-2005, 05:27 AM
mwm
Advanced

Nav System Reboot

Last night, my nav screen started rebooting about every 5 minutes. The Acura screen would appear and the disclaimer screen. If I did nothing, the screen would go blank as usual, and then about 5 minutes later the Acura screen would appear and the disclaimer would appear. It happened at least 5 times. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mwm
Last night, my nav screen started rebooting about every 5 minutes. The Acura screen would appear and the disclaimer screen. If I did nothing, the screen would go blank as usual, and then about 5 minutes later the Acura screen would appear and the disclaimer would appear. It happened at least 5 times. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Mine has done that a couple of times. Stopping and restarting the car seems to reset (reboot) the systems.

Fred
Old 11-03-2005, 06:01 AM
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Man, that's uncanny. Mine began doing the exact same thing last night. During my usual 20 minute ride home, the navi re-booted at least 6 times. Identical symptoms.....reboot, disclaimer screen, blank, etc.

Perhaps there is a conspiracy among the RL collective to take control of their owners!

Seriously, I hate to think I need a trip to the dealer after just a few months of ownership.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
Mine has done that a couple of times. Stopping and restarting the car seems to reset (reboot) the systems.

Fred
For what it's worth, last night, I went out after dark and entered the diagnostics screen to check my battery voltage. I had just printed out a recent post on how to enter the screen. I didn't do anything but check the voltage and back out of diagnostic mode. While sitting there in accessory mode, listening to the radio, and fiddling with nav screen colors and brightness and darkness settings, the system rebooted several times. I figured it was because I had been in diagnostics and that everything would be ok when I cranked up and got to moving this morning.

Reckon I'll stay in tune also! BTW, I've not had any of the TSB's done.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Advanced

Just posted this to the main thread, but thought I'd cross-post here. This is TOO much of a coincidence for all of us to be having this problem last night.

Man, that's uncanny. Mine began doing the exact same thing last night. During my usual 20 minute ride home, the navi re-booted at least 6 times. Identical symptoms.....reboot, disclaimer screen, blank, etc.

Perhaps there is a conspiracy among the RL collective to take control of their owners!

Seriously, I hate to think I need a trip to the dealer after just a few months of ownership.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JSakaBuck

There's another thread on this subject...

Did everyone make their car payment this month? Maybe it's an after Halloween Trick or Treat!! It was probably sent out before halloween and like some of the traffic flow is just now arriving!

I jest! <g>
Old 11-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bluemule
For what it's worth, last night, I went out after dark and entered the diagnostics screen to check my battery voltage. I had just printed out a recent post on how to enter the screen. I didn't do anything but check the voltage and back out of diagnostic mode. While sitting there in accessory mode, listening to the radio, and fiddling with nav screen colors and brightness and darkness settings, the system rebooted several times. I figured it was because I had been in diagnostics and that everything would be ok when I cranked up and got to moving this morning.

Reckon I'll stay in tune also! BTW, I've not had any of the TSB's done.
Ho do you enter this screen?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Yeah....I had the exact same problem last night. Obviously, this is going to warrant a call to ACS. Everyone who had this problem last night should call.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435
Old 11-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Intermediate

I've not had any of the recent TSB's done but my navigation system has locked up tighter than a drum twice in four months. I have to stop, turn the car off, and restart the car before I can get the the voice, manual controls and navigation system to start working again.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:38 AM
2006 RL Carbon Gray/Ebony

My NAV rebooted last night on the ride home (New York City area) about every 6-7 minutes. This morning all seemed fine. I have not had any of the updates done at this point.

Sounds like a system wide problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Hey, mine also rebooted about 6 times last night. Is there the possibility of a Satallite issue?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:32 PM
4th Gear

Nav reboot

My NAV also rebooted last night every few minutes. Seems fine today though. Also a couple of times I've noticed my XM radio will jump to station 1 for no reason after only a minute or so of play. This seems to come and go.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I was wondering the same. But, I don't really know how a satellite issue would cause the navi in the car to reboot. If you lose satellite signals (e.g. in a tunnel) the system will not reboot.... perhaps there are navi experts here who can discuss this possibility?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Racer

I'm no expert but I'll volunteer two possible scenarios:

- there is a bug in the navi software that causes a reboot when certain data is received. Everyone who received that data (could be a particular pattern of navtraffic or something else) sufferered the reboot

- there is a deliberate 'reboot' command that can be sent down through XM. For some reason we received this

Either way Acura should be made aware of this.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I'm no expert but I'll volunteer two possible scenarios:

- there is a bug in the navi software that causes a reboot when certain data is received. Everyone who received that data (could be a particular pattern of navtraffic or something else) sufferered the reboot

- there is a deliberate 'reboot' command that can be sent down through XM. For some reason we received this

Either way Acura should be made aware of this.
Both good theories. I wonder if we will ever find out what it is But, I agree - everybody who suffered this should contact american honda to file a report so they can look into it. Enough complaints and they will eventually check it out.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Instructor

I was talking to some of the propellerheads here at work about this. They all seemed to think the problem would seem to point to nav traffic data from XM causing the reboots.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Great responses! Thanks for the info
Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Instructor

My wife drove the RL to work yesterday so I don't know if she experienced this. I have read all the posts and the comments about xm sending a signal that caused this. My question is does everyone have there car setup through acuralink who had this problem. If so did everyone have a paired phone in the car on. The reason I say this is could acuras server have been somehow causing this through the connection with the cars. Maybe a glitch in there server? I now you mentioned xms and it makes sence but could it be a problem with the acuralink?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Racer

My single reboot happened at about 5.30PM PST yesterday. I did not have a paired cellphone at the time.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
My single reboot happened at about 5.30PM PST yesterday. I did not have a paired cellphone at the time.
Mine were from about 5pm-5:25pm PST yesterday and I did have my phone paired.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazytsxmods
My wife drove the RL to work yesterday so I don't know if she experienced this. I have read all the posts and the comments about xm sending a signal that caused this. My question is does everyone have there car setup through acuralink who had this problem. If so did everyone have a paired phone in the car on. The reason I say this is could acuras server have been somehow causing this through the connection with the cars. Maybe a glitch in there server? I now you mentioned xms and it makes sence but could it be a problem with the acuralink?
I had my paired phone with me last night when the rebooting occurred. I have it linked with Acura Link and I don't think any type of automatic call was made. As other have mentioned, this morning the rebooting had stopped. Moreover, maybe it's just me being wishful thinking, but I think the XM refresh rate is faster now. Hmmm.....inquiring minds want to know more about this phenomena.

Quick Reply: Navigation system reboot - possible problem identified on page 4