Navigation Data Base Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006 | 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Navigation Data Base Question

I notice that the navi system does not take me to my home. The addresses are about 5 houses off.

I notice that the same thing happens when you use Google Earth satellite photos. It points to a house that is down the street.

When you ask the navi for Current Position, it gives me an address xxx52 or 53, when in fact, I live at xxx15.

As I think about it, town houses are densely packed, but each have their own address, while single family homes are less so, and they each have their own address. You can pack many more single address town homes into the same space as traditional single family homes.

Is there some sort of geodetic guidelines used to establish residence numbers?

I notice zillow.com correctly identifies the house using satellite photos, but zillow is based on county tax rolls, so is more accurate.

I see there is position correction function in the navi system, but the map is way to coarse to do any real correction.

Am I watching too many movies expecting P-Code GPS positioning? Afterall, the navi system does get me within the requisite 300 feet of the house.

If this has been discussed before, apologies. I searched on GPS position correction, home position correction, etc. and could not find anything.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2006 | 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chas2
I notice that the navi system does not take me to my home. The addresses are about 5 houses off.

I notice that the same thing happens when you use Google Earth satellite photos. It points to a house that is down the street.

When you ask the navi for Current Position, it gives me an address xxx52 or 53, when in fact, I live at xxx15.

As I think about it, town houses are densely packed, but each have their own address, while single family homes are less so, and they each have their own address. You can pack many more single address town homes into the same space as traditional single family homes.

Is there some sort of geodetic guidelines used to establish residence numbers?

I notice zillow.com correctly identifies the house using satellite photos, but zillow is based on county tax rolls, so is more accurate.

I see there is position correction function in the navi system, but the map is way to coarse to do any real correction.

Am I watching too many movies expecting P-Code GPS positioning? Afterall, the navi system does get me within the requisite 300 feet of the house.

If this has been discussed before, apologies. I searched on GPS position correction, home position correction, etc. and could not find anything.

Thanks
It's a problem with the source data on the DVD, which I believe comes from NAVTEQ. I have a similar issue - all the houses on my street are reversed (my house is #2 but shows up as #20 and vice versa). It's incorrect in Zillow as well. I filled out NAVTEQ's online repsonse card and received an email a month later stating that is was within their margin for error or something like that.