Nav system not working correctly

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav system not working correctly

I bought my 2006 Acura RL new from a local dealership. My navigation system in the traffic incidents reports incorrect mileage (1000's of miles off). Reported to the dealership and was told it's a problem in all 2006 RL's and that the manufacturer of the Nav system is working on a patch to correct problem. This has now been handed over to a representative in CA from Acura, who I've asked for an update from monthly on the progress. After 9 months of "still working on it" I'm losing my confidence. 1. Do "all" RL's have this problem ( I think not) and 2. What is my remedy ...Acura is not willing to install a new NAV system; and wants to wait for the patch? Would like to have some input if others have this problem and what resolve would be suggested.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Odd problem. I have not heard of it before nor can I say my 06RL exibits this behavior.

Have you tried to refresh your XM signal (which also carries the NavTraffic stream). You can log into XM online and refresh your signal. I would also speak to XM as they are the vendor for this service. Perhaps the Acura people are giving you the shuffle simply because they do not know.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Sometimes I get distant traffic incidents and the mileage is off. Local incidents are accurate, so those that are distant are not of much concern anyway.

Are the incidents with the incorrect mileage ones that are local to your area, or far from you?

Rob144
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Sounds lik BS to me.

NavTraffic does have problems some time, and in the Washington DC area, I know it takes almost a minute from boot up to get real time traffic. Before that time, I will get apparently spurious messages about accidents 2500 miles away, or a message that there is no traffic information within 30 miles. After a minute or so, you start getting the info properly. I can always tell when the data is real, because there is always an advisory about repairs on the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge which is currently closed to all traffic.

Bottom line, be patient. When the traffic flow information finally shows up, red yellow green along the major freeways, you will get traffic incidents.

However, if you are not in one of the 44 metro areas that get traffic info, I don't know what to tell you about the error.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm with the other guys. Sounds like BS. If there was some sort of general problem I think it would have echoed through Acurazine by now. Do what TampaRL suggested. It's a good place to start and may solve it. Also, ask around to see if other 06 RL owners IN YOUR AREA experience this issue. To give Acura the benefit of the doubt, I suppose it could be a problem that is isolated to certain cities and therefore not really mentioned here yet.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to make sure you have your home address set up in the Nav System as well as the default State/location. The signal refresh seems like a good idea as well. If you have to contact XM you may want to confirm they have you in the right zip code/metropolitan area for Nav traffic as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I'm convinced at this point that "all 2006 RL's" are not experiencing this malfunction. The service department at the dealership I purchased it from worked on it for 2 days, I alerted customer service to the problem since the dealership told me "all 2006 RL's" have the problem and they turned me over to a Regional Case manager, who continues to tell me that the Nav mfg is working on the patch, each month it gets pushed back to the next month...9 months later, I'm not convinced. I'd like to alert someone at Acura that has the power to either replace the system or discount my defective one...I'm chasing my tail with the Regional Case Manager....any suggestions on how to get them to take me seriously? or who I should contact?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unforunately for you, I doubt the navtraffic system would qualify you for lemon law since the problem you are having must "substantially impare the use, value, or safety of the vehicle". However, you might want to call your state's lemon law department (usually part of the Attorney General's office). Ask them if it qualifies. Also, keep in mind you have to file these type of claims within 2 years of ownership. You might be running out of time.

Good luck with it. Let us know if we can offer anymore advice.