MP3 CDs with CD Text

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 CDs with CD Text

For those who have been struggling to create MP3 CDs with CD Text that displays both CD title and track names, I have found a free program that may interest you.

The program is called Burrrn (yes, that's 3 r's) and if you do a Google search you'll find it at burrrn.net

This program cannot copy CDs (there is no support for .cda files), nor can it manage folders, but if you want a simple MP3 CD to play in your RL, you can simply drag and drop the MP3 files that you want to the interface and click the Burrrn button.

I have now used it successfully many times. If the files you drag and drop have the appropriate tags, the program will automatically add the CD title and track name information. If not, you can manually edit it yourself.

So instead of playing CDs with no titles, I simply copy them to CD RW discs using MP3 files and the RL display shows me everything I need...cool.

Pete
Old 06-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Racer

Does this work with MP3 CD's as well?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
Does this work with MP3 CD's as well?
Not sure what you really mean by your question, but yes it writes MP3 CDs, however not with folders.

Pete
Old 06-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Racer

After I posted this question, I did some research. Basically, I was asking if when you burn an MP3 CD, if it would give it a 'title' that shows in the audio screen when you're seeing all 6 of your CD's/DVD's. The default is to show the first MP3 as the disc title.

I wish the RL read the tags for each MP3 and not the file name.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Racer

After I posted this question, I did some research. Basically, I was asking if when you burn an MP3 CD, if it would give it a 'title' that shows in the audio screen when you're seeing all 6 of your CD's/DVD's. The default is to show the first MP3 as the disc title.

I wish the RL read the tags for each MP3 and not the file name.
Yes, it does exactly what you want. After you have burned a CD you see the CD title on the NAV screen display and you see all the track titles. The CD title is not the first track title, like other programs tend to do. I have tried many CD burner programs to try to get this, most cannot handle the CD title and handle the track names by putting a number in front of them.

Below are pictures taken from my NAV screen. Note that the CD title is "Dark Side of the Moon" and the first track is named "(i) Speak To Me (ii) Breathe".

Main Audio Display Screen

Track titles

Pete
Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Racer

But that's for an audio CD. If you burn a bunch of MP3's onto a disk, it takes the first MP3 file's name.

Thanks for going to the trouble of taking and posting pics!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Racer

But that's for an audio CD. If you burn a bunch of MP3's onto a disk, it takes the first MP3 file's name.

Thanks for going to the trouble of taking and posting pics!
Nope, your going to have to trust me on this, but despite what it says on the NAV screen, I made this from MP3 files. I don't know why it recognizes the disc as a normal CD on the display.

The other negative I have found is that the track order isn't correct because it doesn't pre-pend the track names with 01, 02 etc. Not sure if it can do this with the program.

If anyone else has guidance on which CD burners work well when creating discs for our RLs, please post the information. Let us know if the program handles MP3 as well as standard CDs and whether it can correctly label the CD text for the CD title and the tracks. I know that many of us have struggled with this for a long time.

Pete
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Racer

Thanks Pete. I may try that Burrrn. That site looked kind of sketchy though, so I wasn't sure about the software.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by petemc
Nope, your going to have to trust me on this, but despite what it says on the NAV screen, I made this from MP3 files. I don't know why it recognizes the disc as a normal CD on the display.

The other negative I have found is that the track order isn't correct because it doesn't pre-pend the track names with 01, 02 etc. Not sure if it can do this with the program.

If anyone else has guidance on which CD burners work well when creating discs for our RLs, please post the information. Let us know if the program handles MP3 as well as standard CDs and whether it can correctly label the CD text for the CD title and the tracks. I know that many of us have struggled with this for a long time.

Pete
Not sure if this what you're looking for, but the free version of Real Player 10 works great. Just be sure when installing that you choose advanced options so you can avoid the unnecessary junk it tries to install. It will work with mp3, wma, and other files. It will write CDText as well. I've recorded a number of CDs just to get the text on the display. You can also alter most of the text info so you can display what you want.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Racer

Thanks Gator5000e,

I have tried earlier versions of RealPlayer with limited success, I will try it again.

Pete
Old 06-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Racer

Same here. I was scared to install real player b/c of the spam the previous versions have put on other PCs of mine. I will look into it.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info on Burrrn. I downloaded it and tried it yesterday. I'm really happy with the results from burning MP3's. It's so nice to finally see track info (like the pic above). Also, since this was the first time I played MP3's in the RL I was really pleased with the sound quality. Much better than XM.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
Not sure if this what you're looking for, but the free version of Real Player 10 works great. Just be sure when installing that you choose advanced options so you can avoid the unnecessary junk it tries to install. It will work with mp3, wma, and other files. It will write CDText as well. I've recorded a number of CDs just to get the text on the display. You can also alter most of the text info so you can display what you want.
OK, having downloaded the latest version of RealPlayer, I remember why I cannot use it. My CD burner (HP media center PC with LITE-ON SOHW-8025) is not supported by Real, and so the CD Text form is grayed out.

Oh, well, back to the drawing board

Bobwied, the program has worked every time for me so far. I just wish I could set the track numbers correctly, I am not used to my albums playing the wrong track sequence.

Pete
Old 06-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Racer

Pete, with Burrrn, does it only burn them in alphabetical order?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Racer

Pete, with Burrrn, does it only burn them in alphabetical order?
Yup, that's my main gripe. It doesn't matter so much for some CDs, but others need to be specifically ordered.

CD burners with the capability to order the tracks do it simply by pre-pending the track names with 01 02 03 etc. so that the alpha-numerical sorting works. If they offer the ability to add CD text for the CD title, it normally comes from the first track name.

Pete
Old 06-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

With Burrrn you can place your songs in any order you with. It's simply drag and drop. If you load a whole album you can then go back and rearrange all the songs in any order you wish.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bobwied
With Burrrn you can place your songs in any order you with. It's simply drag and drop. If you load a whole album you can then go back and rearrange all the songs in any order you wish.
Are you serious???

I must admit that I didn't try moving files by dragging them because there was no indication that the program would handle it. I've got to try this.

Thanks for the info.

Pete
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Racer

Did you guys download the 1.14 beta from burrrn.net? And the executable is the 'burrrn_package.exe'?

This site just doesn't seem like a site to get legit software not containing spam and/or spyware, so I'm just making sure.