Loaded 4.62 RL software

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCareyB
I just got off the phone with Alpine, to make sure I had all my ducks lined up for a proper return before I sent the disk back.

The nice gal I spoke with, when I said I had a 4.62 disk that wasn't working on an '05 RL said she thought a different disk was meant for the '05s. She had me hold, and then came back and asked how I ordered the update (online, using the choices the web site offered). Again, she said I should have gotten a different disk, and they'd give me a full refund when I returned the one I received.

However, since they were in "transitioin" she advised waiting until mid-October until I tried to order the replacement.

Sounds like a significant "OOPS" is in order.
So, I ordered my disk last night having NOT read any of this.

The order went through, but I got a wierd message on the confirmation page. Thinking nothing of it, I went to bed. I rechecked this morning and I'm still getting the wierd error...something about my user ID!? I called the Alpine 800 number and all they would tell me was that 1) Yes, my order went through 2) No, it has not shipped and No, they don't know when it is on back order till. When question why they had a back order date before and not now, she didn't know.

By the way, I have an '05 with 4.13 so chances are it would have failed on me as well!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Originally Posted by JCareyB
Mine failed on an '05, but I was at 4.13b (and am now again )
Sorry... that is what I meant... 4.13b which is what I am at as well...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

I just received and installed version 4.62 into my '05 RL. Just as many of you experienced, after the upgrade the navi went to the diagnostics screen. Using the information here, I got out of that and all seemed OK. This morning, I noticed that the Traffic incidents (we don't get traffic flow here, just incidents) were not showing up (they worked fine before the upgrade). I used the XMradio site to refresh my radio without success. When I got home tonight, I called and spoke to XM. They decided to do another reset but it was also unsuccessful. I called XM back again and they said I should go to the dealer to have them do a diagnostics on the navi system. Again, the radio works fine, as does the navigation system (GPS, etc) itself. It's just the Nav Traffic that has the issue.

Has anyone else had this particular issue with 4.62?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Originally Posted by lflorack
I just received and installed version 4.62 into my '05 RL. Just as many of you experienced, after the upgrade the navi went to the diagnostics screen. Using the information here, I got out of that and all seemed OK. This morning, I noticed that the Traffic incidents (we don't get traffic flow here, just incidents) were not showing up (they worked fine before the upgrade). I used the XMradio site to refresh my radio without success. When I got home tonight, I called and spoke to XM. They decided to do another reset but it was also unsuccessful. I called XM back again and they said I should go to the dealer to have them do a diagnostics on the navi system. Again, the radio works fine, as does the navigation system (GPS, etc) itself. It's just the Nav Traffic that has the issue.

I don't think so... the common issue with 05s is that it won't even upgrade.. goes into an endless loop of reboots... although a few (newer? / more recent Navi versions) successfully upgraded and experienced the diagnostic screen. One or two people reported initial inaccuracies in the location of their vehicle in the nav that I believe ultimately cleared.. I don't recall anyone reporting any navtraffic issues. What version did you upgrade from? Are you the original owner? Have you upgraded since you bought it other than to 4.62?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lflorack

Have you tried the command to display traffic? The software may be set to not do that. I have an 06 and did have the in line diagnostics problem, but once it worked, no traffic issues.

However, using the older version, I one time said hide all icons or something, and lost traffic. I did the XM resets twice until I figured out I had to say Display Traffic and that did the trick.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by MOAcuraRL
I don't think so... the common issue with 05s is that it won't even upgrade.. goes into an endless loop of reboots... although a few (newer? / more recent Navi versions) successfully upgraded and experienced the diagnostic screen. One or two people reported initial inaccuracies in the location of their vehicle in the nav that I believe ultimately cleared.. I don't recall anyone reporting any navtraffic issues. What version did you upgrade from? Are you the original owner? Have you upgraded since you bought it other than to 4.62?
Well, before we go to far into this.. I have an update. This morning (after two XM radio refreshes yesterday), the traffic incidents showed up on the way to work this monring. I guess the refreshes had worked but it just took a while to repopulate the traffic information.

So now back to what you asked (the information might help others).

I am the original owner of the '05 RL. Version 4.62 is the third update I've installed. Unfortunately, the most recent previous DVD is at home (I'm at work) but I THINK it was version 4.55. As I said in my original post, I installed 4.62 and it installed OK but it then went into the diagnostic screen. I was able to get out of that and then all seemed OK until I discovered the missing traffic information (which the radio refresh has now fixed).
Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by Chas2
Have you tried the command to display traffic? The software may be set to not do that. I have an 06 and did have the in line diagnostics problem, but once it worked, no traffic issues.

However, using the older version, I one time said hide all icons or something, and lost traffic. I did the XM resets twice until I figured out I had to say Display Traffic and that did the trick.
Yes, I did that... but thanks for the tip. (See my other message from this morning. The traffic information has now repopulated.)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
ok got my disc.
06 RL, had the diagnostic issue, let the system test it out, hit the remaining buttons so that the test completes, worked fine then.
As for the traffic, I had to re-enable the traffic to repopulate on the GPS. I also see the new stuff, display speeds where shown, the one way arrows on 1/20 display.
I did notice that the Acura disc is not really copy protected. The disc can be 'imaged' (alcohol 120 is one program that will do it)
so you can store an image file to recreate the disc in the event its damaged.
One note, you will need a dual layer DVD burner and blank, its 7.6 GB.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by sotiri
new stuff, display speeds where shown
What this is about?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sotiri
...display speeds where shown....
What do you mean by this? Is this speed limits at the 1/20th scale or traffic flow speeds, the red, yellow, green stripes on major freeways? Or is it actually displaying some other speed info?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I dont know what it means with regard to speeds shown, it was an option listed to enable with the arrows as another option.
now the one way arrows worked when I zoomed in to 1/20, and on streets that I knew that were one way.
I presume the speed will be something to the effect of if its listed in the XM traffic, it might list the speed limits on the expressways or average speeds.
But there was no literature with the disc that informed me what it was, and it wasnt an option I could enable with the previous version
Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Ah, I guess I need to dig in the menus more. I did not know the one way arrows was an option to be enabled.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

Any word from Alpine if/when this problem will be fixed? I also have 4.13b, but would really like to upgrade before I move to Montreal next month.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 AM
9th Gear

See my post above (#79), where Alpine recommended waiting until mid-October before trying to order a 2nd time. Implication is they''ll have stuff strtaightened out by then.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greenejason
Any word from Alpine if/when this problem will be fixed? I also have 4.13b, but would really like to upgrade before I move to Montreal next month.
Last (2 weeks ago) I heard from Alpine Cust. Service was fix may be available mid. Oct. You might want to check directly with them for update.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Racer

Thanks for all this useful data. I've been debating getting an upgrade for my 05. I guess Alpine got bitten by ye ol' upgrade mess. It's not uncommon for upgrades to be marginally tested when there are more than 1 version that can be upgraded from. One way to resolve this is to have sequential upgrades, in other words the current disk contains all patches and applies all the applicable ones in sequence. Or they could make the upgrade smart enough to deal with all prior versions and actually test all that before shipping :-)

I'll wait till middle of Oct before ordering.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Thanks for all this useful data. I've been debating getting an upgrade for my 05. I guess Alpine got bitten by ye ol' upgrade mess. It's not uncommon for upgrades to be marginally tested when there are more than 1 version that can be upgraded from. One way to resolve this is to have sequential upgrades, in other words the current disk contains all patches and applies all the applicable ones in sequence. Or they could make the upgrade smart enough to deal with all prior versions and actually test all that before shipping :-)

I'll wait till middle of Oct before ordering.
I would agree -- they initially saved a few $$ but cost themselves much more with return costs and poor customer relations.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
9th Gear

First time poster, long time lurker.

Here is an email I received from Alpine Canada regarding my recent order of the 4.62 disc set:

Good day,

I am contacting you from Alpine Canada informing you that the navigation disc upgrade you order is unfortunately on back order. We expect to receive the latest version of this disc in November. Once the new disc arrives in stock, I simply need a confirmation via telephone or email to begin the process.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,

Regards,
xxx xxxx
Sales Coordinator
Alpine Electronics of Canada, Inc.
777 Supertest Road
Toronto, Ontario M3J 2M9
Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
7th Gear

4.31C to 4.62 - '05 RL

Just upgraded myself from 4.31C to 4.62 and I'm with an '05 RL. Installed without a hiccup and I'm running smooth. No diagnostics although I do wish the guy's voice was still available. Just seemed to be a smoother talker than the lady.

_dave
Old 07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Did you get the 4.62 off ebay?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
'05 RL & '10 MDX

I got one off ebay and it gets stuck on the first screen. It continually shows the first screen, goes blank, then first screen again. Figures...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
'05 RL & '10 MDX

Originally Posted by mlts0807
I got one off ebay and it gets stuck on the first screen. It continually shows the first screen, goes blank, then first screen again. Figures...
I went to the dealer today and they put the disc in a 08 and it worked fine. Do you think this particular disc won't work in my 05 or will not work in any 05?

Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
7th Gear

Spoke Too Soon

Originally Posted by basf_audio
Just upgraded myself from 4.31C to 4.62 and I'm with an '05 RL. Installed without a hiccup and I'm running smooth. No diagnostics although I do wish the guy's voice was still available. Just seemed to be a smoother talker than the lady.

_dave
Seems as though I spoke too soon. I too now have the Diagnostics screen come up every time I start the car up. Easy enough to "get out of" but annoying that it has do be done every time.

Better than being stuck in an endless reboot cycle - but still...

This was my third update as well... Might be settling back to 4.31C

_dave
Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, this answers a question I posed about a month or two ago.
I asked if anyone with a 2005 rl had updated the nav regularly and then had a problem with 4.62. I am running 4.31 I bought on ebay and now I know that 4.62 will not work. Thanks for the answer to my question even if you did not know you were answering it.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Seems as though I spoke too soon. I too now have the Diagnostics screen come up every time I start the car up. Easy enough to "get out of" but annoying that it has do be done every time.

Better than being stuck in an endless reboot cycle - but still...

This was my third update as well... Might be settling back to 4.31C

_dave
Isn't there a way to get out of having diagnostic screen everytime you start the car? The procedure above does not take care of it?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Racer

If it makes it to the "in line" diagnostics screen, you should be able to use the proceedure to keep it from popping up again.

Its the continious reboot that is problematic.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Anyone tried the new 4.63 update in a 2005 yet?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
7th Gear

Need To Follow The Instructions

Originally Posted by JPSMAN
If it makes it to the "in line" diagnostics screen, you should be able to use the proceedure to keep it from popping up again.

You're right... I missed the "hold the menu button down for 5 seconds" part... It's working like a champ now...

A 4.63 mysteriously made its way onto my desk for a trial run, however... I'll try that out tomorrow...

_DS
Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced

I tried with 4.63 disc and I see the Acuralink splash screen for few seconds than it goes blank and again same splash screen and it continues...... Is this the continuous reboot?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM
7th Gear

You're right... I missed the "hold the menu button down for 5 seconds" part... It's working like a champ now...

A 4.63 mysteriously made its way onto my desk for a trial run, however... I'll try that out tomorrow...

_DS
4.63 installed without a hitch against a 4.62 install... Didn't have the repeated diagnostics issue that I did with 4.62. Looks the same... Not sure what changed...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Racer

If it keeps restarting, that would be bad news from what others report. If it ends up in the diagnostic screen you are in good shape.

Its odd how some of the 05's are okay, while others don't "take well" to the software upgrade. There must have been some mid production revision to the firmware.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Advanced

If it keeps restarting, that would be bad news from what others report. If it ends up in the diagnostic screen you are in good shape.

Its odd how some of the 05's are okay, while others don't "take well" to the software upgrade. There must have been some mid production revision to the firmware.
Thanks. My guess is that early production(2004) 2005 RLs have probelms. 2005 production MY2005 RLs are ok.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
05 Acura RL

Just got off the phone with Alpine. The lady said that the new version 4.64 will be out within the next month. She said it will definitely be compatible with the 05 RLs. So wait a month and call this number or go to this website to order:

888-291-4675 option 2
www.acuranavi.com
Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
That's great news !
Old 08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll believe it when I see it. It's now been eleven months since they pulled the original 2007 update from production, and about eight months since they made the update dealer-only for new cars. Hmph.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
put a copy of 4.62 in the Rl today, loaded fine, thanks Acyrazine for the directions to get past the diagnostic screen. Everything seems to work as well as the older 4.31C. It seems to me that the initial startup time from the Acuralink screen to the legal disclaimer is a bit longer. Also after click OK to the disclaimer and wait for map takes a few seconds longer. Everything else seems to work as well if not better including navtraffic.
what's the diff between 4.62 and 4.63?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 AM
2006 RL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
4.62 on 2006 RL

Has anyone had issues with 4.62 on 2006 RL?

everything seems to work fine, but the voice button does not work on the steering wheel anymore so I loose all voice commands.

Tried loading it a few times but to no avail. does 4.63 fix this issue?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kssod
Also after click OK to the disclaimer and wait for map takes a few seconds longer. Everything else seems to work as well if not better including navtraffic. what's the diff between 4.62 and 4.63?

The delay after "OK" until the map comes up is a little shorter with 4.63 but only by maybe 1 sec.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kssod
what's the diff between 4.62 and 4.63?
Appears to be bug and stability fixes. I've been running 4.63 for about three weeks with no problems with either installation or function. Upgraded the wife's Pilot too, and no problems there, either.

Originally Posted by miserable
4.62 had a lot of bugs associated with it, but I was not aware of that one. My experience with 4.63 is as I note above. Would try to get that instead of sticking with 4.62.

BTW, welcome to AZ! Don't forget to post your purchase details in the "RL owner sign in" thread stickied to the top of the main 2G RL forum page.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by miserable
Has anyone had issues with 4.62 on 2006 RL?

everything seems to work fine, but the voice button does not work on the steering wheel anymore so I loose all voice commands.

Depends if its a genuine disc or burned from a Torrent. Some DVD-DL media brands dont work as well as other brands even if you get the same data written on each. Verbatim is particularly good. Memorex (which is sold at most big-box stores) seems to have more hit-or-miss reviews from users in various forums. If its a genuine disc you have, be aware that Apline stopped shipping the discs due to playback problems on the RL nav equipment.

Quick Reply: Loaded 4.62 RL software