iPod integration for '05 RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iPod integration for '05 RL

This information may be in some other posts, however, I have been doing so much research on the subject, that I wanted to make it easier for everyone else. As far as I know, there are 2 companies manufacturing iPod integration units for the 2005 RL. One is NEO Car Audio. Here is the link:

http://www.neocaraudio.com/advanced_...icle_year=2005

The other company is USA Spec. Their link is:

http://usaspec.com/ipod.html

and for verification, here is a link to the list of cars their units will work in:

http://usaspec.com/compatibility/index.html

I am going to have the USA Spec unit installed this week. Their unit is cheaper, and I have been told that their product is better than the Neo Car Audio units. The USA Spec unit turned out to be about $130. With Neo Car audio, you need 2 parts which will cost you about $235.

The guys that run the car stereo store (Good Vibrations in Horsham, PA) said to go with the USA Spec over the Neo units. They are good guys and do amazing work.

One thing you should know (For those of you who are not going to do the installations yourselves), is that labor is not cheap. They estimated a few hours or so. I am sure it will be worth it either way. I hope this helps some of you.
The following users liked this post:
Legend4th (02-12-2012)
Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the summary information regarding the ipod/audio integration for the 05 RL. I've also been looking for a while now for such solution. Please let us know how it's been working for you. Also, how was your installation experience? Thanks so much.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by bschwartz215
This information may be in some other posts, however, I have been doing so much research on the subject, that I wanted to make it easier for everyone else. As far as I know, there are 2 companies manufacturing iPod integration units for the 2005 RL. One is NEO Car Audio. Here is the link:

http://www.neocaraudio.com/advanced_...icle_year=2005

The other company is USA Spec. Their link is:

http://usaspec.com/ipod.html

and for verification, here is a link to the list of cars their units will work in:

http://usaspec.com/compatibility/index.html

I am going to have the USA Spec unit installed this week. Their unit is cheaper, and I have been told that their product is better than the Neo Car Audio units. The USA Spec unit turned out to be about $130. With Neo Car audio, you need 2 parts which will cost you about $235.

The guys that run the car stereo store (Good Vibrations in Horsham, PA) said to go with the USA Spec over the Neo units. They are good guys and do amazing work.

One thing you should know (For those of you who are not going to do the installations yourselves), is that labor is not cheap. They estimated a few hours or so. I am sure it will be worth it either way. I hope this helps some of you.
One member had it installed in his '05 RL and said it took 15 minutes tops. Removal of the radio requires removing the silver trim on both sides to get to the screws that hodl the unit in. Once out just plug into the back of the HU. Seems rather simple to me - at most 30 minutes of techs time.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 PM
10th Gear

Update:

I have found a company that makes great mounting hardware for the '05 RL as well. The name of the company is pro clip. They have 2 different mounts for the '05 RL, and brackets for all types of devices. I should have the parts tomorrow, and the install should be complete on Saturday. Here is the link:

http://www.proclipusa.com

As far as the lengthy and pricey install is concerned, here is what I know. I have a leased car, so they were trying to do as little cutting/drilling as possible. Also, the install was EXTREMELY clean and the unit is mounted completely out of sight. Taking out the radio, glove box, and some of the console takes a while. I will take pics when it is done. Personally, I am confident that I will not be dissappointed, even if it was a bit expensive. We shall see...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
10th Gear

P.S. - Some food for thought...I am going to be posting info about a "group buy" for the unit. If I can find a group of people on here who want the unit, I can get it at a good price, and have them shipped out.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Forgive my ignorance on this topic. I don't yet own an ipod. But I've been looking at getting an ipod and the link.

Why are these solutions you recommend superior to the Acura link sold by Acura?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Safety Car

On the Acura unit you can not control the iPod via the iPod - all done through the Acura stereo unit. Plus you can not see any information on the iPod screen (artist, song & album title) when using the Acura system. I have the MusicLink but have not loaded the software yet so my opinion is still yet to be determined.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
On the Acura unit you can not control the iPod via the iPod - all done through the Acura stereo unit. Plus you can not see any information on the iPod screen (artist, song & album title) when using the Acura system. I have the MusicLink but have not loaded the software yet so my opinion is still yet to be determined.
Not true, you can control the Ipod through the Ipod controls.
There have been some who cannot, but that is an issue of older units and old firmware on the Ipods.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
8th Gear

P.S. - Some food for thought...I am going to be posting info about a "group buy" for the unit. If I can find a group of people on here who want the unit, I can get it at a good price, and have them shipped out.
I'm interested in the usa-spec unit.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Miner is right if he is talking about Musiclink. There is no reliable way to force the Ipod to control the music, at least not for '06 models.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:14 PM
kgd
Instructor

I have an 05 and can't control the iPod via the controls on the iPod while it is connected. I have had the MusicLink for about 9 months now and really like the interface. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to get used to it but I now prefer it to the iPod controls. It would be nice to have the song info display on the Nav screen though. I am able to use the iPod controls on my other two cars and I find that I don't use the controls that much because it is to hard to do while driving. On the other hand I use the search functions all the time on the MusicLink. I guess it is a personal preference. I did not like the MusicLink at all for about the first couple weeks, liked it OK for about the next two weeks, and now really like it. I did not want to go with a 3rd party unit that could not be controled by the radio. I had mine installed in the center console as I usually bring it in the office with me each day.

If you do a search I have posted some detailed instructions on how to use the unit. Also, without the software installed this is a horrible unit.

Kris
Old 10-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

kgd,
Did you download the L&H TTS software from microsoft as suggested in the manual or did you just use the default TTS engine. I ask because I have tried DL the L&H TTS engine on my XP OS but it just does not show up in my control panel once DL. Any suggestions?

Miner
Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 AM
8th Gear

Update:

I have found a company that makes great mounting hardware for the '05 RL as well. The name of the company is pro clip. They have 2 different mounts for the '05 RL, and brackets for all types of devices. I should have the parts tomorrow, and the install should be complete on Saturday. Here is the link:

http://www.proclipusa.com

As far as the lengthy and pricey install is concerned, here is what I know. I have a leased car, so they were trying to do as little cutting/drilling as possible. Also, the install was EXTREMELY clean and the unit is mounted completely out of sight. Taking out the radio, glove box, and some of the console takes a while. I will take pics when it is done. Personally, I am confident that I will not be dissappointed, even if it was a bit expensive. We shall see...
Was just wondering how your installation of the pa11-hon2y went? Would greatly appreciate any pics. I ordered the unit and would like to know as much about the installation before heading to the installer (Acura or CC).
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 PM
10th Gear

I can't figure out how to insert pics. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1515

If you still need help, PM me so you can email your pics to me.

Bob
Old 11-02-2006, 05:48 PM
8th Gear

Are you still having trouble with pics inserts? My purchase of the usaspec finally arrived and I sure would appriciate any guidance from your experience.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 PM
5th Gear

Can't get the radio out

Originally Posted by miner
One member had it installed in his '05 RL and said it took 15 minutes tops. Removal of the radio requires removing the silver trim on both sides to get to the screws that hodl the unit in. Once out just plug into the back of the HU. Seems rather simple to me - at most 30 minutes of techs time.
Can anyone offer any tips on removing the radio so I can easily install the USA-SPEC unit? I tried to remove the radio this way, all 4 screws are out but it won't budge.
Thanks!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 AM
8th Gear

I ran into the same problem initially but found out why.

There are two additional screws securing the unit to the back.
You can see one of them from the attached photo (middle right hand side of the picture).
Old 11-19-2006, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rlzippy

You can see one of them from the attached photo (middle right hand side of the picture).
Thanks, that explains it. Is there an easy way to get at these 2 screws?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Drajm
Nevermind about the other 2 screws. I managed to get the job done without taking the head unit out. It took hours of laying on my back in the passenger side floor using a flashlight, screwdrivers and contorted metal clothes hangers. The hardest part was getting the new 14pin connector into the radio. I do think it was worth it though. It sounds great and works just as advertised. The only slightly negative thing I would note is that the volume is considerably less through both the ipod direct mode and the AUX mode than it is for a CD of the same song.
Thanks for all the info in these posts!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by rlzippy

From your picture, it looks like you got the side of the radio (the dash) off. How did you get that part off? I think you are referring to the screw that has to be removed either with a nut remover or with a wrench after you get the side panel removed. The reason why I am asking is that after I removed the plate around the gear and removed all the main screws, I still can't see the radio as exposed as you have in the picture. Please help!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced

It looks like that picture is with the unit pulled part way out.

I installed the USASPEC pa11-hon2y on my 06 RL myself. To get those bottom two nuts off, use an extension on a socket wrench and stick something sticky into the socket to hold the nuts. Or use a magnetic tool to help hold the screws. The pa11-hon2y has some switch settings which you might want to change after installation. This is to select the ability to switch between the Aux input and the Ipod using the disc buttons on the radio, and to choose between playlist mode and direct mode. I mounted my unit within the center console, screwed into the right side frame above (ahead of) the shift lever. I can easily pull off the trim piece on the right side of the console to get to the switches, in case I need to change this or to reroute the wires. I then ran the wires back to the console compartment where they exit from a notch I cut in the piece which holds the power outlet. I can keep the Ipod in the console or run it up to the upper part of the console thru the rubber pull out plug.

I installed this before purchasing an Ipod, and used the Aux jack with a different MP3 player. That worked, but did not charge/pause/control the player. So I then purchased the Ipod and use it in direct mode, where the Ipod controls are active, and the radio/steering wheel controls are also active. I have not really set up playlists yet, so have not tried the playlist mode. This works very well, with the Ipod being automatically charged and with the play paused when you switch to Disc/Radio/XM or turn the car off.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 AM
10th Gear

Install Problem for Neo / USA*SPEC unit

Originally Posted by Drajm
I bought the Neo ipod adapter. They shipped me something that had the Neo sticker on it, but basically it looks like the USA*Spec unit. Obviously, my 2005 RL has the 6-disc CD changer, XM and regular radio. The back of the radio has one slot that looks like it can take the adapter that comes with the USA*Spec. It was being used by another cable (I think XM). I removed that and plugged the ipod adapter's cable in that slot. I turned around and connected the XM cable into the Y (female) portion of the adapter. When I connect the ipod and start playing it, nothing happens. I continue to get the sounds from the CD changer on all discs. I have tried Disc 5, track 1 and all other discs as well. The XM continues to work, but not the ipod.

Has anyone run into this problem? Or am I missing something? What is the best setting for the dip switches for the 2005 RL?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Advanced

On the USA Spec unit, you hit the CD button again and it switches to the adapter and the display changes to CD-C. Then use the Disk buttons to switch playlists or between Ipod/Aux input.

While it is in this mode, pressing the Audio button displays a screen that says EXTENSION that has only one option, Sound.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:40 AM
10th Gear

Acura RL ipod help

Thanks!! I have a 2005 RL with a 6-CD changer in the audio unit. The button on the radio reads "DISC" and I tried hitting that again, but it doesn't go anywhere. It just continues to play the CD that I have in the changer. Have you used this with the 2005 RL or some other year or model?

I am assuming that you have a "CD" button on the car radio unit that you hit twice. The instruction booklet that I had says that I hit CD button twice only if I have a single CD player and not a changer. I have a changer. Does that change things?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
To engage the iPod/Musiclink, you indeed hit "Disc". If it is not changing to your iPod, there is a hardware problem and is something you need to address at the dealer.

Originally Posted by csekar15
Thanks!! I have a 2005 RL with a 6-CD changer in the audio unit. The button on the radio reads "DISC" and I tried hitting that again, but it doesn't go anywhere. It just continues to play the CD that I have in the changer. Have you used this with the 2005 RL or some other year or model?

I am assuming that you have a "CD" button on the car radio unit that you hit twice. The instruction booklet that I had says that I hit CD button twice only if I have a single CD player and not a changer. I have a changer. Does that change things?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Maybe the Neo unit is different. I am using this with the 2006 RL, which has the 6 disk changer built in. It sounds like the install was the same, though. One thing about my USA Spec unit, there is a rotary switch that is not mentioned in the manual or any online manuals that I could find. I asked the tech person at Hawk Electronics, where I bought it, and he thought it might be a level control. So I tried changing it after my installation, and it messed things up to where it would not communicate with the radio. I put it back to the factory setting, I think that was #4, and things worked again. I sent an email to USA Spec, and they just said to leave it where it was, but would not say what it does. So check that out if you have it. Also, when I installed, I had disconnected the battery from the car, and had to enter the anti-theft codes and perform the idle learn process. This might be something to try.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Question

I am just about getting ready to go to a speciality audio store nearby and get USAspec iPod Control PA11 – HON installed for my 2005 Acura RL, but before that please bare with some questions (apologies if they have already been asked earlier)
  1. How does the finished installation look like?
  2. Are there choices in terms of where the output cable (which connects to the iPod) can be placed?
  3. Once installed, will Acura's Nav system show the playlist/songs/artists etc on the nav center console? (most likely not, but doesn't hurt to ask)
  4. How is the sound quality compared to playing a regular CD off the default Acura system? (tolerable, comparable or downright pathetic)?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Can't Get Radio Out Either

How do you get the silver trim pieces on the side of the radio off to even begin to remove the radio? I'm afraid to pull on them too hard for fear of breaking anything. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Question Made Some Progress

OK; I got the silver trim pieces off. Turns out that you do just pull hard on them, but after removing the trim down around the shifter.

I also managed to get the 4 screws/bolts that appear to be all that is holding the radio in, but now I can't find the hidden two that others have referred to. How do you get access to them? I took off the side kick panels of the console on both sides but still can't see them.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Those last two screws are down low and deep. I used a long screwdriver or nutdriver (I forget which screws those two were) and held one of those magnets on a stick retriever tools next to it to capture the screw. Reinstallation was fairly easy, just stick the screw to the magnet tool, and guide it in position, then slip the screwdriver or nut driver over the end. I dropped a screw and had to find it - no big deal, it can't go too far.

I might also suggest the PA11-HON2Y model - even though you might not need the Y cable, I think the firmware is more up to date on this one.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

1. I installed it myself and it looks pretty good. I'll post some pictures later when I get to my car. I ran the cable out from behind the radio (toward the driver's side) and there is a spot under the steering where is space to seat the unit and I brought the ipod cable to the front and mounted on the adapter I bought from www.proclipusa.com. It sits very well and all I have to do it place my ipod in the adapter and it sits tight and plays awesome.

2. The acura's nav system will allow you to adjust Treble, bass, balance etc and that's about it. You cannot see the songs on the screen.

3. You can't tell the difference. Sound quality is awesome.

4. I'd definitely install the PA11-HON2Y with the Y-cable just in case you use XM radio now or plan to in the future.

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
I am just about getting ready to go to a speciality audio store nearby and get USAspec iPod Control PA11 – HON installed for my 2005 Acura RL, but before that please bare with some questions (apologies if they have already been asked earlier)
  1. How does the finished installation look like?
  2. Are there choices in terms of where the output cable (which connects to the iPod) can be placed?
  3. Once installed, will Acura's Nav system show the playlist/songs/artists etc on the nav center console? (most likely not, but doesn't hurt to ask)
  4. How is the sound quality compared to playing a regular CD off the default Acura system? (tolerable, comparable or downright pathetic)?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2006, 02:01 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mwiles
Those last two screws are down low and deep. I used a long screwdriver or nutdriver (I forget which screws those two were) and held one of those magnets on a stick retriever tools next to it to capture the screw. Reinstallation was fairly easy, just stick the screw to the magnet tool, and guide it in position, then slip the screwdriver or nut driver over the end. I dropped a screw and had to find it - no big deal, it can't go too far.

I might also suggest the PA11-HON2Y model - even though you might not need the Y cable, I think the firmware is more up to date on this one.
I actually got an extender and socket wrench from Lowe's. I stuck chewing gum to the end of the nut and the nut came out beautifully stuck to the gum. I repeated the same to put it back in. I didn't have a magnet handy.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by csekar15
1. I installed it myself and it looks pretty good. I'll post some pictures later when I get to my car. I ran the cable out from behind the radio (toward the driver's side) and there is a spot under the steering where is space to seat the unit and I brought the ipod cable to the front and mounted on the adapter I bought from www.proclipusa.com. It sits very well and all I have to do it place my ipod in the adapter and it sits tight and plays awesome.

2. The acura's nav system will allow you to adjust Treble, bass, balance etc and that's about it. You cannot see the songs on the screen.

3. You can't tell the difference. Sound quality is awesome.

4. I'd definitely install the PA11-HON2Y with the Y-cable just in case you use XM radio now or plan to in the future.
I have the USA Spec unit and I'm waiting to install it next week when I'm on vacation. What is the consensus for the best place to install it? I installed a Blitzsafe in my old TL-S and there was room behind/below the head unit to just leave it in there without permanently mounting it.

It's the one question I have from reading these posts - it's not really clear to me where people are putting the unit once they have it connected to the head unit and the head unit put back in place. Mwiles mentioned he has it mounted in the center console above the shift lever. Where exactly is that? If anyone has pics of where they have the USA Spec units mounted I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=csekar15]1. I installed it myself and it looks pretty good. I'll post some pictures later when I get to my car. I ran the cable out from behind the radio (toward the driver's side) and there is a spot under the steering where is space to seat the unit and I brought the ipod cable to the front and mounted on the adapter I bought from www.proclipusa.com. It sits very well and all I have to do it place my ipod in the adapter and it sits tight and plays awesome.[QUOTE]

Great dude... thats the kind of feedback i am looking for. would be especially interested in the pictures regarding placement of the adapter... :-)
Old 12-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Advanced

What is the consensus for the best place to install it?
I don't know about the consensus, but you can see in the below where I put both the Neo adapter (see the red circle) and the iPod (using a ProClip mount). I can get to the box by removing one panel with clips only in case of loose wires, need to change settings, want to use the aux in jack, etc. Now if only I had a black iPod Nano instead of a white one, life would be really good. Anybody want to trade?

Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Meteor06RL
I don't know about the consensus, but you can see in the below where I put both the Neo adapter (see the red circle) and the iPod (using a ProClip mount). I can get to the box by removing one panel with clips only in case of loose wires, need to change settings, want to use the aux in jack, etc. Now if only I had a black iPod Nano instead of a white one, life would be really good. Anybody want to trade?

Thanks very much! I will be installing my USA Spec adpater this week. This is great.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Meteor06RL

thanks for the great picture Meteor! One question though, i do not see the iPod and the mountclip, where have you put it?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
thanks for the great picture Meteor! One question though, i do not see the iPod and the mountclip, where have you put it?
Look to the right of the gearshift. The iPod is sitting there in a Proclip holder.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwboston
Look to the right of the gearshift. The iPod is sitting there in a Proclip holder.
d'oh m e.. thanks boston

Quick Reply: iPod integration for '05 RL