Incessant synching problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010 | 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Incessant synching problems

I cannot get my car to say "driver 1" or "driver 2" (I've tried using both key fobs -- and I've gone through the reset process in the manual about a thousand times). It just says 'welcome'.

The other week I took my car to the dealer. He said the medallions in the fob had gotten off kilter and one of the buttons on the fob was essentially always 'on' (being pressed down). He fixed it....or so I thought.

Today I had my alternator replaced. They didn't replace the battery (and I didn't have to enter my PIN code or anything). Now this INCREDIBLY ANNOYING problem has returned. I've tried both fobs. I even disassembled both fobs and made sure the medallions were aligned properly.

I just want the car to remember my settings when I get in. That's all. I just want that god*amned voice not to come on every time I turn up my AC. I feel like the guy in the Telltale Heart.
Old 06-29-2010 | 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cls3
I cannot get my car to say "driver 1" or "driver 2" (I've tried using both key fobs -- and I've gone through the reset process in the manual about a thousand times). It just says 'welcome'.

The other week I took my car to the dealer. He said the medallions in the fob had gotten off kilter and one of the buttons on the fob was essentially always 'on' (being pressed down). He fixed it....or so I thought.

Today I had my alternator replaced. They didn't replace the battery (and I didn't have to enter my PIN code or anything). Now this INCREDIBLY ANNOYING problem has returned. I've tried both fobs. I even disassembled both fobs and made sure the medallions were aligned properly.

I just want the car to remember my settings when I get in. That's all. I just want that god*amned voice not to come on every time I turn up my AC. I feel like the guy in the Telltale Heart.
The fob pairing process was described wrong in the 2005 manual. Not sure about other years. You may want to try again using directions on the back of the fob.
Old 06-29-2010 | 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by getakey
The fob pairing process was described wrong in the 2005 manual. Not sure about other years. You may want to try again using directions on the back of the fob.
I have NO clue how or why this bizarre ritual worked...but something in this process worked:

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t5130613-2...fob_code_reset

"turn key to on, but do not start, press and hold the lock button for one second, turn key to off position, turn the key on and off three times ending the cycle with the key in the on position,press the lock button,you will hear the door lock cycle, press lock again to set code"

I never even got to the confusing end. I followed it up to "you will hear the door lock cycle" [which I didn't, by the way]. Anyway, something wonderful happened. It now says "driver 1". I hope that voice prompt is dead forever.
Old 06-29-2010 | 06:43 PM
Instructor

Yeah i have the 05 RL, when i first bought it, i lost fob 2 and bought another one for 300$ then i look in the service manual and online to find a way to do it. It is very similar to the old model (99-04).
Old 06-30-2010 | 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Is this how you would program a FOB or do you have to take it to the dealer?
Old 06-30-2010 | 11:39 AM
Safety Car

I will have to remember this if I ever get into that situation. This sounds as if it is the procedure the dealer would use to link a fob into the car. The car comes with two fobs, but has the memory to use up to 4 fobs according to the manual. It sounds as if this works like a garage door opener. My old garage door opener has a programming cycle to accept up to six remote controls, first in first out basis....you program in a 7th remote, and the first remote is lost.