The Great USA Spec / Satellite Clusterf*ck

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Great USA Spec / Satellite Clusterf*ck

Ok, here's the deal: I want my Sportster Sirius radio and my ipod to work in my newly purchased (but used) 2005 RL. The Sportster sucks, but I recently got a Sirius FM Direct Adapter to increase it's virility. Likewise, I can no longer countenance the technological insubordination of the FM transmitter I've been using for my ipod, so I just purchased the USA Spec PA11-HON2y. Here are my questions:

1) Satellite hard wiring vs. FM transmitter mode. The USA-Spec has an auxillary input that I could use to hardwire my Sportster and forget my newly acquired FM adapter all together --- but this doesn't seem like such a hot idea. I don't mind making the occasional station switch on the radio if there's interference (and sacrificing a little sound quality in the process)....if it means I don't have to mess with the little switches on USA Spec module every time I want to transition from between ipod and satellite (which I'm assuming I'd have to do). Is this line of thinking sound?

2) Once I get Sirius up and running, is there anything I need to do with the XM (disconnect anything, etc).

3) Will I have to purchase a Sirius antenna? I don't see an XM antenna --- just the usual 'shark fin' on top of the car. Can this antenna be used for both XM and Sirius?

4) Where is a good place to actually put the USA Spec module?

5) Once the module is installed, where is a good place for ipod cable to come out? I know there's the glovebox option, but I was wondering if there were other alternative locations people have had success with?

.....and yes, I'm technologically retarded. Any tips, ideas, or cautionary tales will be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
CLS
Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I have an 06 with the Neo Car Audio iPod adapter which I and others believe to be a rebranded USA Spec unit. I have it hooked up so that either my iPod or any other audio device will work (but not both at the same time). There is an iPod specific cable which allows connection and charging of the iPod via the iPod dock connector, as well as full control of the iPod from the iPod itself, or basic control of the iPod through the steering wheel controls (volume, next track, last track). So that part is easy.

See Post #20
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+install+photo

1) IMHO, it is always better sound to hardwire, rather than FM transmitter. Use the aux out of your unit with a RCA to 3.5 mm stereo male jack cable. You can plug that into the audio out 3.5 mm female plug of your Sportster (although the one I looked at is the S4, not sure what model you have). You do not have to mess with the dip switches at all, just unplug one or the other device (iPod or Sportster).

2) No. You will be using the aux CD input on your head unit, so you need do nothing with the XM unit. Leave it plugged in. Maybe one day you will be able to use it for Sirius.

3) I do not know, but I think you will. The USA Spec provides for audio signal, but not antenna.
signal. There is no way that I have heard of to tap into the XM antenna without doing your own wiring. It is probably easier, though messier, to use the external antenna and attach it to the windshield. If you have an installer put in the USA Spec, he or she might be able to tap into the XM antenna. The Sportster I have seen has a 2.5 mm antenna jack next to the 3.5 mm audio out. The installer will know what to do if it can be done.

4) Usually in the hump that holds the transmission selector if you are installing to the center console bin. There is actually a picture of this placement somewhere on this site, that I could not find. Probably in the last 45 days.

Or if you want the wires in the glovebox, probably right below the head unit..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chas2
I have an 06 with the Neo Car Audio iPod adapter which I and others believe to be a rebranded USA Spec unit. I have it hooked up so that either my iPod or any other audio device will work (but not both at the same time). There is an iPod specific cable which allows connection and charging of the iPod via the iPod dock connector, as well as full control of the iPod from the iPod itself, or basic control of the iPod through the steering wheel controls (volume, next track, last track). So that part is easy.

See Post #20
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+install+photo

1) IMHO, it is always better sound to hardwire, rather than FM transmitter. Use the aux out of your unit with a RCA to 3.5 mm stereo male jack cable. You can plug that into the audio out 3.5 mm female plug of your Sportster (although the one I looked at is the S4, not sure what model you have). You do not have to mess with the dip switches at all, just unplug one or the other device (iPod or Sportster).

2) No. You will be using the aux CD input on your head unit, so you need do nothing with the XM unit. Leave it plugged in. Maybe one day you will be able to use it for Sirius.

3) I do not know, but I think you will. The USA Spec provides for audio signal, but not antenna.
signal. There is no way that I have heard of to tap into the XM antenna without doing your own wiring. It is probably easier, though messier, to use the external antenna and attach it to the windshield. If you have an installer put in the USA Spec, he or she might be able to tap into the XM antenna. The Sportster I have seen has a 2.5 mm antenna jack next to the 3.5 mm audio out. The installer will know what to do if it can be done.

4) Usually in the hump that holds the transmission selector if you are installing to the center console bin. There is actually a picture of this placement somewhere on this site, that I could not find. Probably in the last 45 days.

Or if you want the wires in the glovebox, probably right below the head unit..
I'm a little confused. You say I'll have to disconnect one or the other, but I don't have to mess with the switches. Somebody else say I don't have to disconnect anything --- I simply use CD-5 for one and CD-6 for the other. Either way, I guess it's better than having to mess with the switches.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

I am running my starbase through a dice which is hooked up like the usaspec. It is like an external 6 disc changer with the starbase as dic 5 & Ipod as disc 6, you still have full xm functionality & the indash 6 disc changer also functions.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

Is this how it's basically going to work in my 05 RL???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duqwtmXJQ1M
Old 04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

One more really quick question: to hook up the Sirius receiver to the USA Spec, do I just need one cable that goes into the RCA jacks of the usa spec module and then to the "audio out" of the sirius receiver?

Besides the anntenna cable, am I going to need anything else? Do I have to worry about the "Dc-5v" power source, or the "FM out" outlets on the receiver?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

It would seem you definitely have to worry about your power source DC-5V, and you can use one of the various power sources in the car, one on the console, or one in the storage bin.

I would think the "FM out" would not be needed since you are going into the head unit directly with the USA SPEC, rather than broadcasting over the FM waves so your car FM can pick it up. Instead you are using the "audio out" into the USA Spec to get the signal into your head unit.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

cls3

Here is the thread that shows the installation location of the USA SPEC

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5698#post65698