Dealership Replaced Passenger Airbag - now disk read error

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Dealership Replaced Passenger Airbag - now disk read error

Hey Guys,

Just had my airbags replaced along with some other dealership services including oil change and power steering pump repair. The dealership had my car for two days and after getting it back my navigation will not work. It starts saying it's updating software and then says disc read error. I've read somewhere on the forum about this happening after having the dash replaced. Anybody else have this problem? I let the dealer know as soon as I got home from picking up the car... do you think they'll cover it? I wonder if I should do what the TL guys did which is remove the drive and use a cotton swap and alcohol to clean the lens. The DVD is pristine with no scratches... I have a feeling it's not the player.

IF you have anything at all, please comment. I can't even get to any of the controls... my radio and everything still works... I just can't see it on the main screen. AC controls are all hidden now too... sucks.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Sounds like they might have forgotten plug in the screen or killed it? Does it seem like the screen is powering up at all but staying black?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I replied to this question in the recall thread. This is why duplicate posts are a no no. Now we have two conversations on the same topic with different people replying and not knowing what the others said.

I recommend end trying to eject the disc, clean it, and put it back in. Of that doesn't work, a solid reset at the battery may. Disconnect both cables from the battery and hold their contacts together for 30 seconds. Then put them back on. Make sure you have the radio and nav codes.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (09-12-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

I'll try that soon. The screen does power up. The dealership said they'd look at it for me, but I'm afraid they're going to give me some BS about how I have to pay 500 to replace an easy fix.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Soo... this sucks. I took it back to the dealership and they charged me $50 to look at it. They didn't even take a detailed look and said yeah, it's the DVD player. Said it would be 850 to replace the player.

I passed on fixing it then and took the car home. Removed the DVD player and cleaned the lens. I noticed that the player with pristine inside and out... no way dust is the culprit. Also, my navigation was working PERFECT before the dealer visit. Am I taking crazy pills by assuming it still has to do something with the passenger airbag replacement or is it likely the DVD player just went dead without signs of it going bad?

Please comment if you have any thoughts on this...
Old 09-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
It's not unheard of for the DVD unit to go out, and who knows what could have caused it. I don't think you will get anywhere trying to get them to pay for it. These drives are a dime a dozen on eBay. Just be sure to get a 2007-2008 tech model number.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a spare 2005 dvd unit fully functioning, you can borrow just to test if it works on ur car to rule out if your existing dvd is defective or wiring issue. Return it to me after u test it or u can buy it from me lol.

Last edited by GaRaS; 09-28-2016 at 09:21 PM.