Burning DVD Audio from MP3

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning DVD Audio from MP3

Trying to make some DVD Audio from MP3, does anyone know if RL plays burn
DVD-R+/R;RW+/RW-. So far am unsuccessful, I have made couple of Audio DVD+, but no go in RL. It says that it can't recognize the disk. I am using Audio DVD Creator to convert and burn. I can only play the Audio DVD+ in my home DVD player.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:00 AM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have burnt several DVD-A discs with much success using Wavelab. Converting MP3 to DVD-A tracks.

There are a ton of threads about this in the 3G TL electronics forum.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Cruisin'

I'm not real savvy on hi-fi stuff, so forgive my ignorance here, please. But what is the point of burning MP3s to DVD-A? Isn't that akin to recording a vinyl record to compact disc? It's not going to improve the depth/clarity of the MP3 recording, is it? Why not just play an MP3 disc in the RL? The only reason I can think of is maybe you can get a bajillion songs onto a DVD-A...is that the reason?

Just curious. Many thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by curry7
I'm not real savvy on hi-fi stuff, so forgive my ignorance here, please. But what is the point of burning MP3s to DVD-A? Isn't that akin to recording a vinyl record to compact disc? It's not going to improve the depth/clarity of the MP3 recording, is it? Why not just play an MP3 disc in the RL? The only reason I can think of is maybe you can get a bajillion songs onto a DVD-A...is that the reason?

Just curious. Many thanks!
Correct. there is NO point in trying to make a mp3 into a dvd audio. the only thing you would possibly gain is alot more storage capacity for music. You will NOT achieve teh 5.1 sound and quality going from a mp3 to a dvd-a
Old 09-23-2005, 12:57 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Correct. there is NO point in trying to make a mp3 into a dvd audio. the only thing you would possibly gain is alot more storage capacity for music. You will NOT achieve teh 5.1 sound and quality going from a mp3 to a dvd-a
Umm, you are dead wrong. Have you ever used software like WaveLab?

Simply put, you can convert your MP3 files in to 24-bit DVD-A (or 16-bit CD) quality tracks that sound LIGHT YEARS better than the original file played as an MP3.

There is no comparision.

Roughly 75 tracks per DVD-A disc in 24-bit Quality.
Roughly 99 tracks per DVD-A disc in 16-bit Quality. You can squeeze more out if your project has multiple groups on the disc.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASP
Umm, you are dead wrong. Have you ever used software like WaveLab?

Simply put, you can convert your MP3 files in to 24-bit DVD-A (or 16-bit CD) quality tracks that sound LIGHT YEARS better than the original file played as an MP3.

There is no comparision.

Roughly 75 tracks per DVD-A disc in 24-bit Quality.
Roughly 99 tracks per DVD-A disc in 16-bit Quality. You can squeeze more out if your project has multiple groups on the disc.
I agree with ASP, there is no comparison of MP3 files to 24-bit burned DVD-A.

Simply, 24-bit way better than MP3 quality. To everyone please post facts not things that you think are true.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

I understand that DVD-A is of vastly better quality than mp3. What I don't understand is how you can take a song file that is in mp3 format, with its limited bitrate and/or other information, and by simply converting it to a DVD-A format you can improve the sound quality. Where did the extra information come from? I have never used Wavelab, and the info I've found on the web doesn't make this clear, it just says that you can rip to DVD-A.

Just asking. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:15 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Originally Posted by curry7
I understand that DVD-A is of vastly better quality than mp3. What I don't understand is how you can take a song file that is in mp3 format, with its limited bitrate and/or other information, and by simply converting it to a DVD-A format you can improve the sound quality. Where did the extra information come from? I have never used Wavelab, and the info I've found on the web doesn't make this clear, it just says that you can rip to DVD-A.

Just asking. Thanks.
Lets says you start with a bunch of high bitrate MP3 files.

The MP3 playing software of your "player" dictates how well this file is going to sound when read. Ever notice how some cheap MP3 players sound horrible when compared to others, even though the fiels are exactly the same?

When you take the same files and essentially upconvert them (like upconverting a normal 480p DVD video to 720p with a high end DVD player) you are now using more advanced hardware and software for playback; not just the simple software codec that translates the MP3 into music.

The difference in audio output in the RL is night and day.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Just made my first DVD-A, 24 bit from MP3 that actually worked in my RL. This time I used wavelab, not Audi DVD creator. The sound is just awesome compared to MP3 or CD. I would recommend to everyone to make their own DVD-A vs. MP3/CD dicks for RL. You should take the advantage of the technology that you have. It took me 25 minutes for 70 tracks.

Thanks to ASP for recommending Wavelab!

Also, I have used DVD+ media that I got for 30cents each. So, I can confirm that RL plays burned DVD+ media. I did read posts that DVD- will work as well.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Old 09-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Racer

ASP,

What price did you pay for WaveLab?

I am really interested in this software, but I see WaveLab 5 listed at a very high price ($699)...did you really pay this for this software, or is there a cheaper version you are using?

Thanks

Pete
Old 09-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Someone once said "bit and torent".....the rest is up to you.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Racer

I'm cool now...thanks

Pete
Old 09-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

ASP - Thanks for the explanation of the mp3-->DVD-A conversion and playback, I think I get it. Very interesting!

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Is there a way to do the conversion without $500+ software?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:33 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you use Wave Lab and enhance MP3s to be burnt onto a regular CD-R?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:57 PM
styling on you

bump
Old 09-27-2005, 12:19 AM
ASP
Earl Shod

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Can you use Wave Lab and enhance MP3s to be burnt onto a regular CD-R?
Once you convert the MP3 file to a WAV you can do just about anything.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:30 AM
styling on you

I'm an audio noob, are there any tutorials out there or something? I just want to enhance my current MP3s to have better quality, so i can burn em on CDs.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Instructor

I've worked in professional audio and video off and on throughout my life. I've spent many years in a recording studio, both behind a mic and behind the console...

You are certainly not improving the audio *quality* of ANY MP3 file by simply converting it to a WAV file or a DVD-A file. It's just not possible to take a limited amount of data, stretch it to a higher bit rate, and improve the sound. There are programs to eliminate static, pops and clicks, and of course, normalizing or compressing the dynamic range of a recording. However, you are simply modifying the MP3's data, to your own *perceived* improvement. Many programs emulate surround sound from two channels, which is what your software is likely doing, and maybe you prefer that sound setup, but the quality is not any better than an MP3. I personally don't like the Bose CenterPoint feature in our RLs, I think it sounds artificial.

Psychoacoustic processing is an interesting exercise in perceived loudness. Let's say you want to reproduce a certain bass frequency, but the speakers you have will absolutely NOT go that low. If you were to remove the primary bass frequency from your mix (the one you originally wanted to reproduce) and introduce the harmonics for that fundamental instead, the ear would "perceive" the fundamental even though it wasn't there (this is assuming our fictitious speakers would reproduce those harmonics of course).

Transforming the MP3 to WAV or DVD-A will not change the quality of the sound, it will only increase the file size to meet the WAV or DVD-A format specifications. More importantly, it does not give you the same WAV that the original MP3 was created from. MP3 encoding is a lossy process - audio information is lost that can never be put back. MP3 decoding to ANY format does not put any data back - it takes a very compressed file format, and converts it into the audio data that the file type represents. However, the audio data that was thrown away during the encoding process is not magically returned. The decoded WAV or DVD-A file is much larger than the MP3, but it holds the same information. The *original* WAV file contained much more audio information.

I understand if you prefer the sound of your MP3s converted into DVD-A, I just had to set the record straight on improving actual quality from MP3 sources.

Randy
Old 09-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
I've worked in professional audio and video off and on throughout my life. I've spent many years in a recording studio, both behind a mic and behind the console...

You are certainly not improving the audio *quality* of ANY MP3 file by simply converting it to a WAV file or a DVD-A file. It's just not possible to take a limited amount of data, stretch it to a higher bit rate, and improve the sound. There are programs to eliminate static, pops and clicks, and of course, normalizing or compressing the dynamic range of a recording. However, you are simply modifying the MP3's data, to your own *perceived* improvement. Many programs emulate surround sound from two channels, which is what your software is likely doing, and maybe you prefer that sound setup, but the quality is not any better than an MP3. I personally don't like the Bose CenterPoint feature in our RLs, I think it sounds artificial.

Psychoacoustic processing is an interesting exercise in perceived loudness. Let's say you want to reproduce a certain bass frequency, but the speakers you have will absolutely NOT go that low. If you were to remove the primary bass frequency from your mix (the one you originally wanted to reproduce) and introduce the harmonics for that fundamental instead, the ear would "perceive" the fundamental even though it wasn't there (this is assuming our fictitious speakers would reproduce those harmonics of course).

Transforming the MP3 to WAV or DVD-A will not change the quality of the sound, it will only increase the file size to meet the WAV or DVD-A format specifications. More importantly, it does not give you the same WAV that the original MP3 was created from. MP3 encoding is a lossy process - audio information is lost that can never be put back. MP3 decoding to ANY format does not put any data back - it takes a very compressed file format, and converts it into the audio data that the file type represents. However, the audio data that was thrown away during the encoding process is not magically returned. The decoded WAV or DVD-A file is much larger than the MP3, but it holds the same information. The *original* WAV file contained much more audio information.

I understand if you prefer the sound of your MP3s converted into DVD-A, I just had to set the record straight on improving actual quality from MP3 sources.

Randy
Thanks very much for taking the time to explain that.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM
ASP
Earl Shod

Randy, have you used WaveLab to convert MP3s to DVD-A? Have you conducted several before and after test in your RL to compare the output?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASP
Randy, have you used WaveLab to convert MP3s to DVD-A? Have you conducted several before and after test in your RL to compare the output?

No, I haven't, I would consider it a waste of my time and money (and downloading it would be illegal and a bigger waste of time). I said that you may prefer the sound you are hearing after the conversion, but that you cannot increase the quality of the recording. Many people likely think that the Bose CenterPoint DSP feature in the RL "improves" the sound quality of two-channel recordings, and that's fine, that's personal opinion. It's applying an effect to the original recording to achieve a surround sound effect. Your WaveLab program is doing the same thing, but starting from a worse source, MP3s. I'm all for the convenience of MP3s, but I personally think that converting them into WAV or DVD-A files is a waste of time.

If the album comes as DVD-D, I listen to it in that format. Otherwise, in the RL, I listen to MP3s, encoded at 320kbs, from the original WAV files, ripped from my CDs. No, they don't sound as good as the WAV file, but in a car environment, I choose the convenience of over a hundred songs per CD-R, over higher fidelity and around 15 songs per disc. Besides, even in a quiet car like the RL, there is always *some* noise, so unless you're parked with the engine off, most people can't tell the difference between MP3s and WAVs. To each their own.

Randy
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
No, I haven't, I would consider it a waste of my time and money (and downloading it would be illegal and a bigger waste of time). I said that you may prefer the sound you are hearing after the conversion, but that you cannot increase the quality of the recording. Many people likely think that the Bose CenterPoint DSP feature in the RL "improves" the sound quality of two-channel recordings, and that's fine, that's personal opinion. It's applying an effect to the original recording to achieve a surround sound effect. Your WaveLab program is doing the same thing, but starting from a worse source, MP3s. I'm all for the convenience of MP3s, but I personally think that converting them into WAV or DVD-A files is a waste of time.

If the album comes as DVD-D, I listen to it in that format. Otherwise, in the RL, I listen to MP3s, encoded at 320kbs, from the original WAV files, ripped from my CDs. No, they don't sound as good as the WAV file, but in a car environment, I choose the convenience of over a hundred songs per CD-R, over higher fidelity and around 15 songs per disc. Besides, even in a quiet car like the RL, there is always *some* noise, so unless you're parked with the engine off, most people can't tell the difference between MP3s and WAVs. To each their own.

Randy
Bummer. I figured with your audio experience you would have access to the software or would know someone with it.

I tell you what, PM me your mailing address. I'll burn you two discs, each from the same MP3 source. One 24-bit DVD-A, one MP3 data disc.

Be sure to reply back once you've listened to both.

This is all about the player. Using the RL's DVD-A player vs. the RL's software MP3 player for audio output.

And yes, I'm serious.