Beatles DVD-A

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beatles DVD-A

Tuesday The Beatles Love will be released in 5.1 DVD-A. It is supposed to be incredible.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ssim3
Tuesday The Beatles Love will be released in 5.1 DVD-A. It is supposed to be incredible.
I just got it (and haven't finished listening to it yet). The sound is very, very nice. I haven't tried the regular CD to compare, but the DVD-A sounds very natural and clean.

It is an interesting take on the Beatles songlist, with some melodies and vocals overlaid with other songs in a way that really works (not like that dreadful Beatles dance mix of many years ago). It isn't over-produced, so the sound is clear and sharp but not gimmicky (very subtle in some ways). It makes me want to hear all their songs in 5.1 sound!

My favorite (and only other DVD-A) is Talking Heads Remain in Light.

Rob144
Old 11-23-2006, 02:42 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I you remotely like the Beatles and own an RL/TL/RDX/07 MDX, you should seek out this DVD-A. It's $14.99 this week at Best Buy, and the sale figures for this DVD-A could tip the balance towards more DVD-A releases from a miriad of artists, not to mention more releases of straight Beatles albums.

For those wanting more DVD-A's, this could be the best chance to show support.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Instructor

I'll be checking Best Buy. My local Best Buy supposedly runs out of DVD-A's and always has a small selection.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

It is great & I agree with oblio that we need to support this so more quality new product will be introduced.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
$15.98 at Target, if your Best Buy is more than $1 worth of gas farther away.

Rob144
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Instructor

I bought my copy tonight at Target but for $19.99. I think it was on sale till yesterday. I missed out but oh well. Looking forward to hearing it.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

I just got a copy of it at Best Buy for 19.99 but I had a 12% off coupon. Very impressive, sounded extremly clean and lively. Worth buying for sure.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Instructor

Ok I just finished listening to half of the Beatles new Dvd-A. I swear the DVD was made for the RL's sound system. Just excellent clarity, very active surround, and totally cool mix, on top of being nostalgic.

I give this one a *****
Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got this disc for Christmas and I can't believe how good it sound. amazing that this material as recorded in the sixties. the new mixes also makes the music sound very fresh and new. sort of like listening to the songs for the first time. AAA+++ Go get this one.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

If you are a hardcore Beatles fan, you may have trouble with this CD. Songs have been completely digitally remixed and some of songs have changed enough for a serious Beatles fan to take notice.

I have a buddy who can't listen to it, eventhough he is amazed how good it sounds because the music has been altered.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Interesting. I really enjoyed the new mixes. Guess he wouldn't like Deep Tracks on XM either. It's nice to hear something different occasionally, IMHO.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Got mine today and I'm listening to the regular CD version on my computer. It sounds flat-out AMAZING! Can't wait for the ride in to work listening to the DVD-A disc!!!

Also picked up a couple of SACD "classics"...Boston (first album) and Dark Side of the Moon. I'm in heaven.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmerton
Got mine today and I'm listening to the regular CD version on my computer. It sounds flat-out AMAZING! Can't wait for the ride in to work listening to the DVD-A disc!!!

Also picked up a couple of SACD "classics"...Boston (first album) and Dark Side of the Moon. I'm in heaven.

I don't think the RL plays SACD I think only the DVD-A, MP3's and CD's

You will be blown away by the DVD-A Beatles album in the RL. Almost like the DVD-A was made for the RL'S sound system. Just awesom
Old 01-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Instructor

Dangit! Right, you are. The SACD's I've listened to thus far have evidently been dual format SACD, and, let's face it, they sound great in the RL with Centerport turned on, etc.

So, the Dark Side CD wasn't a total waste, since it replaces one I bought back in '86, or so, and only cost $9.99 The 30th anniversary version will probably sound better, anyway. It's been digitally remastered, right?

The Boston one I just bought is not a dual format. I guess that one stays at the house.

I continue to be disappointed with DVD-A in one regard...none of the ones I've bought have the encoding to display the disc name on the Audio display. Sucks...
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Racer

Dangit! Right, you are. The SACD's I've listened to thus far have evidently been dual format SACD, and, let's face it, they sound great in the RL with Centerport turned on, etc.

So, the Dark Side CD wasn't a total waste, since it replaces one I bought back in '86, or so, and only cost $9.99 The 30th anniversary version will probably sound better, anyway. It's been digitally remastered, right?

The Boston one I just bought is not a dual format. I guess that one stays at the house.

I continue to be disappointed with DVD-A in one regard...none of the ones I've bought have the encoding to display the disc name on the Audio display. Sucks...
None of the DVD-A's I've purchased will display. However, I have a couple of SACD's that will display...I've mentioned them before. The Dixie Chicks new album, which is a regular CD also displays title, etc.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Instructor

So... can the RL play SACD's?? If so that will expand my buying.
How big of a difference is there between SACD and regular CD as far as sound quality goes?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
So... can the RL play SACD's?? If so that will expand my buying.
How big of a difference is there between SACD and regular CD as far as sound quality goes?
Evidently not. It will play dual format SACD's, but that just means it's playing the non-super part of the audio CD.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Racer

Evidently not. It will play dual format SACD's, but that just means it's playing the non-super part of the audio CD.
Correct! I should mention this when I post about playing SACD's, but always forget.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Interview with Giles Martin on DVD-A "Love"

Originally Posted by Riddler2222
If you are a hardcore Beatles fan, you may have trouble with this CD. Songs have been completely digitally remixed and some of songs have changed enough for a serious Beatles fan to take notice.

I have a buddy who can't listen to it, eventhough he is amazed how good it sounds because the music has been altered.
Read and listen to the lengthy interview with sound clips on the genesis of this project, the approvals by Ringo and Paul, the objections of George Martin, etc., of this DVD-A. Weekend Morning Edition, SAT 6 JAN 2007.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6724341

Yes, I listen to NPR....
Old 01-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Riddler2222

I have to admit, I fall under this catagory. I think it's a great sound but I had a very hard time getting thru any track because of the remix.
As the NPR article says .....

Giles was still nervous about tweaking the Beatles catalogue -- a sacrilegious act in some music circles.
I guess I'm just to in love with the original versions.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Instructor

That's where I consider myself lucky. I never really cared that much for the Beatles until fairly recently. Growing up, none of my sisters liked them much...one of them preferring Herman's Hermits to all the others out there.

The Beatles were a so-so band, musically (talent-wise) at the time with hokey, simple lyrics. But they've grown on me. And they all got sooo much better over time...except Ringo.

Therefore, I'm not so emotionally tied to the old versions that I can appreciate the remix.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
Read and listen to the lengthy interview with sound clips on the genesis of this project, the approvals by Ringo and Paul, the objections of George Martin, etc., of this DVD-A. Weekend Morning Edition, SAT 6 JAN 2007.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6724341

Yes, I listen to NPR....
George Martin didn't object to the project, if that is what you meant. He and his son did all the engineering and re-mix work on the project. This is from the first paragraph of the NPR article.

"When Cirque du Soleil needed music for a Beatles-inspired theatrical performance, the call went out to George Martin, the Beatles’ longtime producer. Now in his 80s, Martin asked his son, Giles, for help. And the two of them set out to remix the group's classic songs, first for the performance and then for an album."
Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gator5000e
George Martin didn't object to the project, if that is what you meant. He and his son did all the engineering and re-mix work on the project. This is from the first paragraph of the NPR article.
No, you are correct, George Martin did not object to the project; the objections (perhaps too strong a word) were the way certain songs were being put together, or wanting to add things that Giles did not. His "objections" were more like what some others have said, they cringe when they hear certain riffs from one song spliced into another. Giles kept saying he felt like he was going to be fired for some of the things he was doing!