Anyone install the rearview camera on their 2006 RL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone install the rearview camera on their 2006 RL?

Just wondering if anyone tried to install the rearview camera on their 2006 RL? Still debating on if I should get it or not. I saw the picture quality on a 2006 MDX and I wasn't too impressed. Is the MDX share the same rearview camera on the RL?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:24 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vluu
Just wondering if anyone tried to install the rearview camera on their 2006 RL? Still debating on if I should get it or not. I saw the picture quality on a 2006 MDX and I wasn't too impressed. Is the MDX share the same rearview camera on the RL?
vluu -

If there is one thing I want to get right now, it would be the rear view camera. I'm still not used to the car. I used to drive a TL and that was an easier car to manuever, especially backing up. With the RL, the back side is taller, so it is harder to estimate the dist ance when backing up. Hey, since you are in the DC metropolitan area, let me know if you find anyone or any dealer that would do it for a reasonable price. I will do the same. Btw, someone I believe mentioned that it is already pre-wired, I wonder if this is true. I guess I could ask the dealer.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:31 PM

online store

I just checked an Acura online store and did NOT find the rear view camera as an accessory for sale. Is the rv camera an aftermarket product? I know a bunch if tl'ers bought the camera from ebay. I wonder if this is true for the RL...
Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Instructor

I have seen it on another online Acura accesories place...... but not sure if it is pre-wired. If it is and there are good instructions, I would consider it. I'm still worried about the quality of the picture on the NAV.

Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
I just checked an Acura online store and did NOT find the rear view camera as an accessory for sale. Is the rv camera an aftermarket product? I know a bunch if tl'ers bought the camera from ebay. I wonder if this is true for the RL...
Old 11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
The rear camera is available from Acura. I bought ours from an online dealer at a great price. I did not intall it myself, I had the dealer intall it, but I think the labor was only 179. The camera is not hard to intall. The hardest part is drilling a hole to relocate the truck opener button. Everything else is wired in the trunk. Plug and play. I find the camera to be very helpful.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by dwest1023
The rear camera is available from Acura. I bought ours from an online dealer at a great price. I did not intall it myself, I had the dealer intall it, but I think the labor was only 179. The camera is not hard to intall. The hardest part is drilling a hole to relocate the truck opener button. Everything else is wired in the trunk. Plug and play. I find the camera to be very helpful.
dwest - thanks for the info. Do you mind telling us about how much you got the camera for?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

love the camera, wish i can leave it on while driving forward!! ^^
Old 11-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL

The camera I think is listed as backup camera. It is an Acura product not after market. I got my camera and the attachment kit (which you need to have to install) from www.hondapartsunlimited.com. The camera and attachment kit cost about $360. According to my dealer it is a 3 hour installation and not that simple even though it is prewired.

The lowest price I could find a dealer in the area to install a camera and purchase camera from them would be $850.

The dealer installed the camera that I purchased for $300 so I saved about $200 dollars.

The camera is very helpful.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gdevine
The camera I think is listed as backup camera. It is an Acura product not after market. I got my camera and the attachment kit (which you need to have to install) from www.hondapartsunlimited.com. The camera and attachment kit cost about $360. According to my dealer it is a 3 hour installation and not that simple even though it is prewired.

The lowest price I could find a dealer in the area to install a camera and purchase camera from them would be $850.

The dealer installed the camera that I purchased for $300 so I saved about $200 dollars.

The camera is very helpful.

oops! The camera is listed as a rearview camera. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Advanced

I had the rearview camera installed recently on our '06 RL. The dealer took $100 off the listed accessory price as part of our deal. I'm used to rear view cameras on our three MDXs ('01 aftermarket; '04 and '07 OEM) and, IMHO, they are different in that the MDX camera's have a wide range of view (no doubt because they are mounted higher) and have a brighter picture on the Nav screen (day and night-- a function of the brighter MDX backup lights). Maybe the RL camera needs a gain adjustment, but it seems darker to me (again it could be the backup lights).
MarkD
Old 11-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vluu
I am having it installed tomorrow morning. It was part of my deal.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Instructor

How much was your deal when you bought it?

Originally Posted by mark47
I am having it installed tomorrow morning. It was part of my deal.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Backup Camera

Ok, gang. I bought a backup camera from Circuit City and a b/u interface from Soundgate (Hondvid2). The camera worked fine, but a few features on my Nav screen did not so I called Soundgate concerning said problem so they sent me a new unit. But this thime the b/u camera did not work as I found out a few units had shipped with missing wires. So now we are waiting for that to come. I paid about $400 for the entire package and the install was $38 at BestBuy. I will report back when that arrives and is installed.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Cruisin'

The2006 RL backup camera is alright. It has flaws especially in bright sunlight. I can't determine if it's the camera or the NAV screen because the NAV screen seems to suffer in bright light situations. My wife's Lexus camera is 10x's better then the acura. For $360 I thought it was a great buy and a little bit of insurance. For $1200 installed by the dealer, I thought that was outrageous. I have better things to buy with the other $800. Photonbeam7s situation is exactly why I didn't go with an aftermarket company. The acura audio,XM,onstar, and nav system seems to complicated to try to intergrate an aftermarket system. For Nemarl, one time I did get the system to trick the NAV system one time and I was able to drive forward with the camera on. It was pretty neat to watch the pavement being eaten up. I haven't been able to duplicate it but I think I got it into forward fast enought from reverse that the NAV didn't engage properly. Just my 2 cents. Anyone needing the install PDF, feel free to email me at ciscoanimator@yahoo.com.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ciscoanimator
The2006 RL backup camera is alright. It has flaws especially in bright sunlight. I can't determine if it's the camera or the NAV screen because the NAV screen seems to suffer in bright light situations. My wife's Lexus camera is 10x's better then the acura. For $360 I thought it was a great buy and a little bit of insurance. For $1200 installed by the dealer, I thought that was outrageous. I have better things to buy with the other $800. Photonbeam7s situation is exactly why I didn't go with an aftermarket company. The acura audio,XM,onstar, and nav system seems to complicated to try to intergrate an aftermarket system. For Nemarl, one time I did get the system to trick the NAV system one time and I was able to drive forward with the camera on. It was pretty neat to watch the pavement being eaten up. I haven't been able to duplicate it but I think I got it into forward fast enought from reverse that the NAV didn't engage properly. Just my 2 cents. Anyone needing the install PDF, feel free to email me at ciscoanimator@yahoo.com.

I agree on the aftermarket. If anything goes wrong with the Navi, Acura is not going to take care of it under warranty. I believe I purchased and had intall my camera for about 550. Bought the camera from an online dealer, and worked out a price to have the dealer install. The camera really is not hard to install as the dealer would have you believe. All.the connections are in the trunk. Took my dealer only about an hour. The hardest part is just relocating the trunk button.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I agree on the aftermarket. If anything goes wrong with the Navi, Acura is not going to take care of it under warranty. I believe I purchased and had intall my camera for about 550. Bought the camera from an online dealer, and worked out a price to have the dealer install. The camera really is not hard to install as the dealer would have you believe. All.the connections are in the trunk. Took my dealer only about an hour. The hardest part is just relocating the trunk button.

Had it installed at purchase...so the cost was hidden in the deal. It was about half of what they wanted if you included labor of the standard sensors.

It works. It is weakest on the sides/corners......

JB
Old 11-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Our RL is at the dealers today to get a new #2 remote programmed. Had trouble with original #2 remote recognizing driver 2 and it wouldn't allow us to turn the ignition switch (had to use the key). I asked the service advisor to see if the gain on the rear view camera could be turned up to make the picture brighter. The nav screen is tuned to a bright setting but the rear view is still a bit dark for my taste. Outside of that, I might see if new, brighter, backup lights would make a difference. I had an aftermarket camera on one of our MDX's which allowed me to turn it on at will and it was a trip to watch the view while we were driving. That one had a gain adjustment.
MarkD
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gotsand
Our RL is at the dealers today to get a new #2 remote programmed. Had trouble with original #2 remote recognizing driver 2 and it wouldn't allow us to turn the ignition switch (had to use the key). I asked the service advisor to see if the gain on the rear view camera could be turned up to make the picture brighter. The nav screen is tuned to a bright setting but the rear view is still a bit dark for my taste. Outside of that, I might see if new, brighter, backup lights would make a difference. I had an aftermarket camera on one of our MDX's which allowed me to turn it on at will and it was a trip to watch the view while we were driving. That one had a gain adjustment.
MarkD
Pretty sure there is no gain adjustment on the Backup camera. The only thing you can adjust is the brightness of the Nav display. I find no problem with the camera, for its intended use.

Had the same problem with #2 key, but we had the door handle relplaced so it was a programming issue. All is well now.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscoanimator
Anyone needing the install PDF, feel free to email me at ciscoanimator@yahoo.com.
Got the email. Thanks a million.

LL
Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Advanced

I seem to remember reading somewhere that using the adjustment buttons for the dash lights also adjusts the camera display. I can't verify it as I am still waiting for mine to arrive so the dealer can install it. Can anyone confirm this or tell me I'm wrong?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
When the camera is active, the outer ring of the interface dial adjusts the brightness.

LL
Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lland
When the camera is active, the outer ring of the interface dial adjusts the brightness.

LL
Thanks for the tip. i tried the adjustment tonight and sure enough I was able to adjust the brightness. You know you can also adjust the brightness at night by toggling brightness screen for the Nav.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
What hasn't been mentioned is that the 2007 RL has the rearview camera as standard equipment. Therefore, it would make sense that the rearview cameras that an Acura dealer now offers would be an Acura product, not an after market product.

I believe that the only other change for 2007 is an MP3 wire/jack connected in the glove compartment.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Cruisin'

The 2006 rearview camera most people are installing is an Acura product. It's just wasn't a factory option, it was a dealer installed option. My opinion was to allow the dealerships to make money due to the lack of cash flow in sales of the 2005 RL.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 AM
9th Gear

I installed the camera myself. It's the Acura accessory, and I bought it for $375 last April. The installation is not difficult, but it is time consuming. It also requires drilling several holes in your car, so if you mess up, the consequences should be obvious to you.

The camera replaces the center trunk opening switch above the license plate. You will need to cut the area around it so that the camera fits. It's easier to do than it looks. With the latch control gone, it needs to be replaced with a button off to the side. The hole for that one is the most visible change you make. Actually, you don't see the hole, but the button, and you better get the hole in the right place. Needless to say, you need to take all the trim above the license plate off the vehicle to do all of this.

You need to take a lot of things apart, and strip much of the trunk and lid down to the point where you can snake wires through them. The tubular hinge is hollow, and you snake the cable through that. At the other end, there is a standard wiring connector behind the navigation DVD player. Once you remove the player, you can get at it, and I think I unsnapped the connector and snapped in an adapter cable, and the camera cable snapped into that.

As things go in place, you use wire ties to anchor everything down, and the instructions show you exactly where to put each one. They also give you the padding for where the wire would otherwise pass a sharp edge.

Aside from the time it takes to get everything apart, the risk of screwing up with your drilling, and the chance that you will snap a panel clip when you remove things, it's not a difficult job.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the write-up Hagrinas! So the stock wiring is there to a point, then, I'm guessing...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

its posible to install rv camera on RL 2005?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Yevgeny
its posible to install rv camera on RL 2005?
The Acura accessory rear view camera does not work out of the box with the 2005.

Search around for this using Google...type in the command

site://rl.acurazine.com 2005 [insert search terms]

For example, using "2005 rearview camera"
site://rl.acurazine.com 2005 rearview camera

you get a lot of threads including this one.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/05-rl-rearview-camera-711536/
Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
but if you swap the DVD Navi unit with 06+ it'll take the OEM rearview camera.... otherwise, it's a no go (have to go after market....)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think from what i read was the NavTool helps for the 2005 RL reverse camera, but im not sure how it gets wired.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

2004 Acura Mdx rear view camera

Does anyone know if 2008 mdx backup camera will work on a 2004 mdx?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Not without modifications. You will have to cut a hole in the rear trim so the camera turret can be installed. Who knows about the connections to the Nav system and the tap into reverse to activate the camera. A Nav 2 Go is probably a better solution.

PS you are in the wrong forum.