Anyone else not use OnStar at all?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else not use OnStar at all?

I've had my RL since May, and have never once even touched any of the OnStar buttons. I use my Motorola V600 phone for all calls, and I use just about every feature of the navigation and stereo system, but I've never even considered using OnStar. Am I really missing out on anything?

Randy
Celestial Silver
V1 Remote Display
25% tint all around
ClearBra on front, back, A-pillars, and front roof
6300 miles and counting

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No - You are really not missing out on anything. I have onstar with the verizon family plan so I can use onstar to make calls instead of my BT phone (eats battery as you know). No real advantage either way.

I did use onstar once a few weeks ago when there was an accident simply to notify the police.

I used to think it would be a great feature to have, but I really wouldn't miss it.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Racer

I signed up for the extra 100 minutes after I bought the RL in February. Have only used the phone once just to see if it works. It is nice to know it is there if you need it, but haven't decided if I will renew when the subcription expires.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used the free time..pretty clear phone
would not mind purchasing minutes but can't understand having to purchase time that expires, therefore on star won't have me as a customer.

I'll have to hope that my cell phone will find a cell if the occassion arises.

they should offer a pay as you go feature!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by medrxman
Used the free time..pretty clear phone
would not mind purchasing minutes but can't understand having to purchase time that expires, therefore on star won't have me as a customer.

I'll have to hope that my cell phone will find a cell if the occassion arises.

they should offer a pay as you go feature!
Agree 100%. I used it once - to call and activate it - and then never again had the need. I'd gladly kick them a few bucks to have a peace of mind backup system but not for minutes that expire. I'd also be willing to register a CC that they could charge against on a pay as you go basis. I mean, I already pay a lot of money for services I never use - I call them taxes.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Instructor

I agree with the onstar comments made.

Between the Onstar & Nav traffic subscriptions, it is a shame you payed for the items should you choose not to renew.

That's what bugs me about Acura. They don't offer cooled seats or backup camera, instead they offer a few techno goodies that you need to subscribe too & may rarely use.

I know I won't be paying to keep Onstar or NAV traffic........so those 2 items I do not need. Now cooled seats & B/Up camera I would use, and enjoy for the entire time I have the vehicle!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:55 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not even touched the buttons. Even while attempting to dust the area, I try to stay away!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

I used about 20 minutes of the initial free time just to check it out. Really wasn't all that impressed with the phone service. Their rates are outrageous as well. I picked up a bluetooth-enabled phone and added it to my Sprint account. I just added a charger inside the center console and connected the phone and it just stays there full-time. The minutes are shared with my cell that I keep with me so that phone is dedicated to the car...
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Racer

Subscription Costs

I don't think we realize how much there little subscription costs total.

Off the top of my head I came up with the following services I have:

Cable TV and High-speed internet $130.00
Cell Phones 130.00
DSL at office 80.00
XM Radios 20.00
OnStar (if I keep it) 20.00

This adds up to $380 per month. 10 years ago I had none of these services, with the exception of Cable, which I think was about $40 at the time.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 AM
office monkey

I am glad we didnt get on-star in replace of cooled seats here. If I had onstar it would be there doing nothing especially after the first free year is done.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

I never even initialized it. Never set it up, never touched the buttons. Onstar is a rip off and a joke.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

OnStar Rip Off I had the same problem with onstar : purchased the 19.99 extra 100 minutes in adition to the 30 minuts that came with the new car. (Not an Accura) Made two phone calls ( about 2 minutes each ) OnStar said the minutes were "gone" ...used. Yet, they could not tell me when they were used. They could tell me when they billed me for the extra pre-paid 100 minutes. I am very suspect of this service. With pre-paid they give you NO statements. Calling OnStar support , I got the run around. I escalated the call to that person's supervisor and alo got the run around. You won't hear those phone calls on their Radio commercials. LOL OnStar emergengy service maybe, but OnStar pre-paid cellular is a Rip off.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JNagol
OnStar Rip Off I had the same problem with onstar : purchased the 19.99 extra 100 minutes in adition to the 30 minuts that came with the new car. (Not an Accura) Made two phone calls ( about 2 minutes each ) OnStar said the minutes were "gone" ...used. Yet, they could not tell me when they were used. They could tell me when they billed me for the extra pre-paid 100 minutes. I am very suspect of this service. With pre-paid they give you NO statements. Calling OnStar support , I got the run around. I escalated the call to that person's supervisor and alo got the run around. You won't hear those phone calls on their Radio commercials. LOL OnStar emergengy service maybe, but OnStar pre-paid cellular is a Rip off.
If you are driving an RL, there's a Technical Service Bulletin which covers your problem, if I understand your post...losing cellular minutes a known issue for the '05RL related to losing power, say when the battery is disconnected. You need to have the TSB done at a dealer and your minutes restored.

I'm surprised that the OnStar reps you talked with didn't know about this...they knew about it when I called after I lost my minutes...they told me to get the TSB done.

So, I had the TSB done several months ago, and everything is fine here.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:30 AM
'06 RL

I've used it twice -- once when I forgot my phone on a day out of the office, and just last week when my cell phone broke. It's clear, doesn't drop, but I find the interface very frustrating ("Slower, please...slower, please...slower, please..AHHHHHHHHHHHH!") and it is, indeed, too expensive to use on an ongoing basis. But it was nice to have that backup...
Old 06-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
On Star: I'd rather have it and not need it that need it and not have it. I don't use the phone features, though.