Any Way To Disable HFL Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Way To Disable HFL Bluetooth?

I have a new Plantronics headset that I want to use as my primary BT communication device, even in the RL. However, every time I get in the car the HFL wnats to pair with my phone. Does anyone know of any way to turn off the HFL's BT, or at least keep it from discovering a new phone? I know this is a crazy request, but if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't you just delete it from the pairing list in the RL? That's how the newer HFLs work. If they aren't in the pairing list on the vehicle, they won't be automatically connected.

In my vehicle I hit the HFL button and say "phone setup" then hit the HFL button again and say "delete". Then it should ask you which phone you want to delete.
The following users liked this post:
thedivineguy (06-07-2011)
Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Instructor

Thanks, sasair. I had not thought of that. So simple it's brilliant, if it works. I will qive it a try. As it is, the HFL will ask to pair with the phone literally every 30-45 seconds, even with the phone's discovery mode off.

As a side note, how do you and others who use a headset out of the RL work it? Turn off the headset? Let them both co-exist? If so, how do you give one priority over the other?

Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I've stopped using my headset ever since I got the RL. The few times I want to use it when I'm out of the car, the batter ys dead from non-use.

I've just gotten used to the voice dialing and all that I can't do with my headset.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gator5000e
I have a new Plantronics headset that I want to use as my primary BT communication device, even in the RL. However, every time I get in the car the HFL wnats to pair with my phone. Does anyone know of any way to turn off the HFL's BT, or at least keep it from discovering a new phone? I know this is a crazy request, but if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.
Most phones should allow you to "turn off" bluetooth. I know my Razor does. So, solve the problem from the phone side of the equation. Just turn off the Bluetooth transmission.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Most phones should allow you to "turn off" bluetooth. I know my Razor does. So, solve the problem from the phone side of the equation. Just turn off the Bluetooth transmission.
If he turns off bluetooth then he won't be able to use his bluetooth headset....

Your phone should only connect with one bluetooth device at a time I think. So if you are paired and connected with your headset, HFL shouldn't connect. If you delete the phone off of the HFL list it shouldn't ever try to connect with your cell phone.

Discovery mode has nothing to do with your problem. Discovery mode is only for intial pairing. Once paired, you don't have to be in discovery mode for bluetooth to function. Most phones will only stay in discovery mode for a max of 60 seconds anyway.

The problem it sounds like you are having is that your phone has been paired with HFL. Once this pairing process is complete, HFL will always try to connect with your phone as long as 1)your HFL isn't already connected to another phone and 2)your phone isn't already connected with another bluetooth device. Just delete your phone out of the HFL system and you should be good to go. And if you ever want to use your phone with HFL again, then you'll have to go through the pairing process/discovery mode again.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
As a side note, how do you and others who use a headset out of the RL work it? Turn off the headset? Let them both co-exist? If so, how do you give one priority over the other?
If you use both a headset outside the vehicle and HFL inside the vehicle, then you would just need to turn the headset off when you enter the vehicle.

Priority is usually given to which ever device connects first or which ever is on the list first on your phone.

Like when you start your car, if there are two bluetooth phones that are both paired with the vehicle in the vehicle when the HFL turns on, then it will pair with the first one in its list supposedly. I haven't actually tested that but thats what the book says.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I initially asked because I thought I was getting interference (probably not correct term) when I had both on, especially when I tried to make a call. Maybe it has to do with Windows Mobile 6 or the updated M$ BT stack. The pairing and deleting of the phone has stopped the constant attempts from the HFL to pair with the phone. While I love the HFL and feel it works very well, it's just a hassle to turn my headset on and off each time I get in and out of the car. Plus I like to be able to see the XM screen while on the phone.

Again, though, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.