Acura RL 05 Nav not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura RL 05 Nav not working properly

When I first bought it on 06, the nav worked fine. I live in St. Paul, MN, and the Nav refuses to work anywhere near the twin cities. If I travel out of the Twin Cities, then it will work. But if I am in the Twin Cities then it doesn't work. This has not happened before. If I am in Nebraska and set the destination to any address in the Twin Cities, then the Nav just stop working or loading. It seems like the Twin Cities has been blocked by the Nav or something. Anyone know why the Nav work anywhere outside of the Twin Cities but not inside the Twin Cities? Anyone encounter this problem before?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Post the addy and I'll try it in mine.

How old is your Nav disc?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Post the addy and I'll try it in mine.

How old is your Nav disc?
I don't think my Acura dealer has given me one. I don't remember having it.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
there has to be one in there if the nav is coming on.
maybe a version upgrade will help you.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Can you explain what 'not working' is?

Does your NAVI screen go blank? Is the map active, but cannot locate addresses? Does it plot routes? Define what is is not doing when you are in the Twin Cities.

The NAVI disc is in the NAVI drive, which is located in the trunk, under the rear parcel shelf. Open the door, hit the eject button and the disc will eject so you can see what version it is. Also, look to see if the disc is scraped or scratched...perhaps that is the issue.

We need more info to discuss possible issues.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:45 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Can you explain what 'not working' is?

Does your NAVI screen go blank? Is the map active, but cannot locate addresses? Does it plot routes? Define what is is not doing when you are in the Twin Cities.

The NAVI disc is in the NAVI drive, which is located in the trunk, under the rear parcel shelf. Open the door, hit the eject button and the disc will eject so you can see what version it is. Also, look to see if the disc is scraped or scratched...perhaps that is the issue.

We need more info to discuss possible issues.
I did not know the Nav disc is on the trunk. I will try what you suggest.

The nav won't work when I am inside the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul). It will turn on, but it would stop loading the map and freeze. But if I am somewhere outside the twin cities, like Mankato, then the Nav work really good. I travel a lot to Nebraska and down there, the Nav work fine. I can set a destination(as long as its not to st. Paul or Minneapolis) and it will take me there, no problem. It won't want to work only when I am in the twin cities. But here's what really crazy. If I am in Nebraska and set my destination to any location in the Twin Cities, then the Nav would just freeze up and stop loading. It seems like my nav doesn't like St. Paul and Minneapolis. But I did not have this problem before just 3 months ago.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It sounds like your NAVI disc is damaged or scratched and likely right in the area of the database where it is accessing plotting information for the Twin Cities. That may be what causes it to freeze while trying to play a route in that locale.

Eject your disc and inspect it. If you have access to another disc (perhaps your dealer will loan you one to test our theory) pop it in and see if you can plot routes to Minneapolis or St Paul.

If that is the issue, you need a new NAVI Disc.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 PM
4th Gear

hey, I clean up the disc and it work. Thanks for all your help