2006 RL Backup Camera without Converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 RL Backup Camera without Converter

Fellow RLers...

So I have been thinking of how I want to install the rear backup camera for a while now (about three years I'm slow) initially I wanted to use all OEM parts since the camera would be centered and since the car is pre-wired for the camera. What turned me away from this option is the price, and the need for special tools and the need to cut metal for the trunk relocation switch.

The converter boxes such as Dom's TvNav2Dvd box is much cheaper these days ($180 with the PnP cable) and the camera is about $30 on ebay, which is much cheaper and easier to install than the OEM setup, so I went ahead with this option, ordered all the parts (waiting for the shipment of the camera which is from China)

I was discussing with my Remote Start installer, and he thinks it is very possible to just use the OEM wiring and any camera to set this up and not need the converter box. We can see from the OEM install directions that there is a 5 cable configuration for the OEM camera, so if anyone knows the exact wiring layout or has some sort of OEM wiring diagram for the OEM camera setup that would be very helpful. Basically we need to know how to trigger the OEM nav to switch to the camera video feed.

Also, I have heard that with the OEM camera installed, you still have to wait to say OK to the notice on the initial Navi startup, is that true? If that is try I think I would rather just use the converter unit, since it would just switch the feed to the camera instantly.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
The switch to the camera is instant with the converter box as long as the screen isn't asleep or turned off.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Forced Induction

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
The switch to the camera is instant with the converter box as long as the screen isn't asleep or turned off.
Thanks, I know I had it all on my 2004 TL, but I am thinking if I can save the $180 on the converter and just use the OEM wiring since I will not be using the converter for anything but the backup camera....

What I did in the TL, was run the converter into the back of the navi unit using the PNP harness, then all I needed was a power for the converter box and I used the reverse lights to power the camera and switch the converted box to rear camera input. It was very straight forward, and I will do the same on the RL if I cannot find a way to use the OEM wiring.....

Last edited by DeadLock; 12-12-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added information
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Right on, that is exactly how it works in the RL... I paired mine with a USA spec and used the 2nd channel for video input.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by DeadLock
Fellow RLers...
Also, I have heard that with the OEM camera installed, you still have to wait to say OK to the notice on the initial Navi startup, is that true? ...
Yes, it is true.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadLock
Fellow RLers...

Also, I have heard that with the OEM camera installed, you still have to wait to say OK to the notice on the initial Navi startup, is that true? If that is try I think I would rather just use the converter unit, since it would just switch the feed to the camera instantly.
This is NOT entirely true. I personally installed the OEM Rear Backup Camera on my 2006 RL myself, so I am pretty familiar with it.

With the camera installed, you do NOT have to hit OK button for the NAV notice in order to have the camera display. The OK button just has to be pressed to get to the actual nav screen; the camera will function without ever having pressed the OK. HOWEVER, having said that, there is a time lag from initial power on, to when the camera will display... like a boot up time. If you started your car and instantly put it in reverse, you will not get the camera image right away. The screen will still be displaying the Navigation system splash screen. After about 2 seconds, it will go to the camera...

The actual time it takes is just a tad shorter than the time it takes for it to display the warning notice where you have to press the OK button.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Forced Induction

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Right on, that is exactly how it works in the RL... I paired mine with a USA spec and used the 2nd channel for video input.
Cool, what did you use for the power feed? I am using the USA Spec as well, I don't see it getting in the way, but it is there installed into the XM input on the Navi unit in the trunk, I am using it for iPod integration and it works great.

Originally Posted by Megatron
This is NOT entirely true. I personally installed the OEM Rear Backup Camera on my 2006 RL myself, so I am pretty familiar with it.

With the camera installed, you do NOT have to hit OK button for the NAV notice in order to have the camera display. The OK button just has to be pressed to get to the actual nav screen; the camera will function without ever having pressed the OK. HOWEVER, having said that, there is a time lag from initial power on, to when the camera will display... like a boot up time. If you started your car and instantly put it in reverse, you will not get the camera image right away. The screen will still be displaying the Navigation system splash screen. After about 2 seconds, it will go to the camera...

The actual time it takes is just a tad shorter than the time it takes for it to display the warning notice where you have to press the OK button.

Hope this helps...
Since you are informed of the OEM install, any info on the wiring for the camera, specifically what each wire does on the harness which the OEM camera comes with that connects to the back of the Navi unit.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isn't the 06 model a direct plug in for the camera kit??
there are plug on the dvd unit for the camera wire isn't?
can someoen clearify for me ?
thinking about to do the rear view camera kit myself