Wood Trim Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:38 PM
kgd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood Trim Kit

Has anyone tried this wood trim kit? I really like the look of the shift surround and storage tray inserts. It is hard to tell from the photos what the quality is like. The OEM wood looks awsome and would make anything that is not high quality look really cheap. The OEM wood is what really sold me on the interior of this car and it would be great if these inserts were of the same quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your input.

Kris
Old 11-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, honestly, I never liked any of the stick on wood kits. A lot of people in the 3G TL had said they were a big fan. This particular product, I am not sure about though. For me, I would like to add teh wood steering wheel and that would be all
Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 AM
kgd
Instructor

I also have not been a big fan of the stick on kits, but I do like the look of the console area with the wood.

The seller of these items has received very good feedback on these kits from purchasers including a couple of RL owners as well as Lexus and Cadilac. I asked the seller if they could send any higher resolution pictures of the products. I also emailed two of the people that purchased the kit for the RL to ask how the match was and whether they could send some photos. For $200 I may go ahead and order a kit to see how it fits. Doubt I would use any of it except the lower console parts. I really like the look of the wood but would not install it if it looks cheap. Worst case I am out $200 if I don't like it and am not able to return it.

Kris
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 AM
office monkey

i want a wood covered center console but dunno about this stick on stuff.

i do not like wood covered dashes around the streo controls and stuff like that. too much wood.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
i want a wood covered center console but dunno about this stick on stuff.

i do not like wood covered dashes around the streo controls and stuff like that. too much wood.
Agree....that's wood overload IMHO.

I'd be concerned that you'd have real cherry wood on the factory pieces, yet some much cheaper product in this stick-on trim. My guess is the difference would be noticeable despite their pledge to color match their product
Old 11-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kgd
I also have not been a big fan of the stick on kits, but I do like the look of the console area with the wood.

The seller of these items has received very good feedback on these kits from purchasers including a couple of RL owners as well as Lexus and Cadilac. I asked the seller if they could send any higher resolution pictures of the products. I also emailed two of the people that purchased the kit for the RL to ask how the match was and whether they could send some photos. For $200 I may go ahead and order a kit to see how it fits. Doubt I would use any of it except the lower console parts. I really like the look of the wood but would not install it if it looks cheap. Worst case I am out $200 if I don't like it and am not able to return it.

Kris
Check out this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786 .
Old 11-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Don't touch the interior! It is just perfect the way it is. No wood stick-on kit is going to improve it, and the pictures I've seen with the kit installed confirm to me that it just cheapens the look.

The nicest thing about the interior is the use of different surface materials in just the right amounts to make it look sooo rich.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Opposed viewpoints, Great stuff. "Wood Overload" I have it (and like it) I.M.H.O. it matches very close to the stock wood along dashboard, on steering wheel and shift knob and looks real cool with them. - Black with ebony interior.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
kgd
Instructor

Originally Posted by grimie09
Opposed viewpoints, Great stuff. "Wood Overload" I have it (and like it) I.M.H.O. it matches very close to the stock wood along dashboard, on steering wheel and shift knob and looks real cool with them. - Black with ebony interior.
I have the same color combo and am going to add the wood to at least the console and cupholder area. The person on eBay selling these kits has stated that the kit is real wood. I will see what the other pieces look like and may or may not put them on. I already have scratches on the black plastic part that is around the shifter area, so I would really like something different here. I will probably not cover the aluminum right next to the shifter though.

Thanks for the link to the other post, those had some decent pictures. Wood overload is fine with me as long as it is not plastic looking wood. Hopefully these are quality parts to satisfy those that prefer the look of more wood.

It would be great if Acura offered an option for solid wood pieces for the console area that were cut from the same piece of wood as the dash.

Kris
Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 PM
10th Gear

I put a wood kit in my G35 and it helped, anything would help that interior Anyway, I would look at it in person if possible. The match in my G was great (not all kits are the same however, manufacturer qualities will differ) but you could see it wasn't from the manufacture becuase it was raised ever so slightly. I think the need for wood depends on the car. The Acura wood looks great...and I wouldn't want to mess it up. i think it would be hard to replicate. My opinon is go for the steering wheel and may be the wood shifter.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to what bwarren2 said. The wood wheel and shifter may be a better way to add wood to the car because they do match perfectly. IMO the wood kit from ebay may look tacky in person. But, if you think it looks good - go for it, and then post pics !