Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:24 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers

The wipers system on my RL is fair to poor. At highway speed they don't have enough presuure to keep the windows clear. The washer spray is weak and does't do the job. It is almost a safety hazard. Anyone else having the experience?
Old 04-22-2006, 12:33 PM
7th Gear

Here are my revised thoughts on this matter.

I rate the wiper system on my RL as fair to poor. At highway speed they don't have enough pressure to keep the windows clear. The washer spray is weak and doesn't do a proper job. It wiper performance is almost a safety hazard. Anyone else having this experience?

This is probably my 4th or 5th post today. In one of them I say... I still like my RL.
The truth be known...If Lexus had an AWD at the time I got this RL it wouldn't have happened. I'm waiting for the day I 'get me' a Lexus. You know...the RL is just an expensive Honda. Just like Audi is just an expensive VW.

I promise not the bother you anymore with my rants. I resign from posting on this forum.

Happy Motoring
Old 04-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SWeeTDaDDi

I rate the wiper system on my RL as fair to poor. At highway speed they don't have enough pressure to keep the windows clear. The washer spray is weak and doesn't do a proper job. It wiper performance is almost a safety hazard. Anyone else having this experience?

This is probably my 4th or 5th post today. In one of them I say... I still like my RL.
The truth be known...If Lexus had an AWD at the time I got this RL it wouldn't have happened. I'm waiting for the day I 'get me' a Lexus. You know...the RL is just an expensive Honda. Just like Audi is just an expensive VW.

I promise not the bother you anymore with my rants. I resign from posting on this forum.

Happy Motoring
So you're going to get an expensive Camry?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:27 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by catsailr
No kidding...the only Lexuses I'd consider are the GS430/450h/460 or the LS430/460/600.

I've heard the 300AWD is softer and slower than the RL...I'd much rather have an RL than GS300AWD.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SWeeTDaDDi

Happy Motoring

The Lexus is just an expensive Toyota and way overpriced! Have you driven a used Lexus lately? They are quiet and smooth when new but after a while they feel like the used Toyota they are. My previous 2000 RL felt terrific, just smooth and solid until the day I sold it with 78K miles on it.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:48 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by catsailr
I udnerstand the point of your post but you should ahve said "you'd get an expensive toyota?" since he didnt compare the RL to any specific Honda model and well, if anyone thinks any Lexus model (including the ES330) is just an expensive Camry then they're on crack.

Spud,

yeah the GS300 AWD didnt impress me much when I had it for 2 days. the RL is clearly superior to it in almsot every way.

I do agree with the orig poster's opinion of the wiper blade system on the RL. It is mediocre at best but it isnt something that would cause me to get rid of the car.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:55 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
The Lexus is just an expensive Toyota and way overpriced! Have you driven a used Lexus lately? They are quiet and smooth when new but after a while they feel like the used Toyota they are. My previous 2000 RL felt terrific, just smooth and solid until the day I sold it with 78K miles on it.
You're joking right? My folks have a 01 LS430 and it is still as quiet as when it was new. It blows the RL away in terms of quietness and smoothness and while the RL has Lexus like quality/luxury inside, it isn't at LS430 levels although it does come close.

I had an IS300 for 4.5 years before I traded it inot the RL and it never got louder or worse in that time. Seeing as Lexus keeps winning awards for the best in quality/reliability in both new and used surveys I'd say your opinion is way off.

Oh and I would disagree that Lexuses are "way overpriced." Show me a true luxury line (as in all models in the lineup can be termed luxury) that has cheaper prices compared to the competition than Lexus does. The only one that can compare that I can think of is Infiniti.

Having said that, the RL is easily a better bargain in terms of overall package than any Lexus model although the new LS if it comes out not much more than the current one may be the better "deal"
Old 04-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SWeeTDaDDi, I sort of agree with you on the washer fluid. I have to check the outlet on the edge of the hood for that one... I had that problem with my TL and I just took a pin and tried to stick it in the hole to clean it out a bit and point it a bit upward and that did the trick...

As for the wipers, mine were fine and I just drove 90 mins (roundtrip) in the rain that's over NJ today and the wipers were fine, strong rain, spray from the road, the occassional splash from the trucks, were all cleared fine by the wipers.

I also test drove the Lexus GS300 AWD and it seemed sluggish to me and the ride too mushy. The interior of the RL seemed a bit more quiet also compared to the lexus. I found the interior of the GS a bit cramped too... low headroom, doorsill hit my head on the way in and out even with the seat all the way down, and, slightly narrower inside... just my 2 cents.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had a handful of complaints from RL owners at work about this. Specifically that at highway speeds, the sprayers don't spray up high enough.

My solution for this, which has worked everytime (I've done this to 5 RL's now), is to angle each sprayer at about a 45 degree angle, and aim them slighty upwards. This can be done very easily with a small flathead screwdriver.

Start first with the car not moving, and adjust them so that they give a decent spray pattern and area with the car not moving. Then go ahead and drive it out on the highway (I usually do about 60 mph) and spray. If you feel safe enough, pull off and adjust accordingly depending on how your results went during the spray while driving. Otherwise find a safe spot and do the above. Then retest.

On my first attempt at this, it took me three tries to get it right. But now I'm to the point where I can adjust them at the shop, and when I go out and test them, they are fine. It's the best of both worlds. You'll still retain good spray pattern at a stop or low speeds, but still spray well too when driving at highway speeds.

Hope this helps anyone who is still unhappy with their sprayers.

-- Kevin
Old 04-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
let me get this straight, you want to sell your RL because the wipers aren't up to your par? sigh. i guess you should have checked that out on the test drive.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:24 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CleanCL
let me get this straight, you want to sell your RL because the wipers aren't up to your par? sigh. i guess you should have checked that out on the test drive.
Was the RL a replacement for the last car after the ashtray got full?

Seriously, buy a new set of wiper blade inserts and a bottle of Rain-X or Glass Wax.... and put a pin into the washer nozzle and use it to adjust it upwards.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Intermediate

I agree. The wipers are crap! I have owned many Honda products over the years, and the one thing that stood out on all of them is the wipers. I find that the washer pressure is much reduced at night when the headlight washers are working. I barely get enough solution on the window to wet it. So, that's part of the problem.

Mark
Old 04-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by marks
I agree. The wipers are crap! I have owned many Honda products over the years, and the one thing that stood out on all of them is the wipers. I find that the washer pressure is much reduced at night when the headlight washers are working. I barely get enough solution on the window to wet it. So, that's part of the problem.

Mark
The RL has headlamp washers??
Old 04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dwest1023
The RL has headlamp washers??
I believe it's mandatory in places like the UK and Canada but I could be mistaken.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

Sorry. I should have mentioned that my car was the Canadian model. BTW: headlamp washers are not mandatory in Canada.

But, the wipers are still crap!!!

Mark