wiper noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005 | 11:14 AM
Intermediate

wiper noise

I just got back from dealer's service. I purchased my RL one month ago. I took it in this morning for a "sit in" appointment for the wiper. The driver side wiper is squeeking loudly over the windshield (louder when the windshield is wet). They replaced blade but same problem. They washed windshield with solvent but same problem. They asked me if I wanted to wait while they replaced the entire assembly but same problem. (they thought the angle of the current blades to the windshield might be out of spec causing the vibration).

The service manager is going to research with Acura engineering. I told him the blade noise is unacceptable and he totally agreed.

I have put nothing on the windshield (raindance etc) I have only cleaned with Windex.

Any ideas on what is going on.
Old 07-20-2005 | 12:47 PM
Instructor

I don't know what's going on, but I can say that for my ears RL wipers are much louder than, for instance wipers on my Subaru Outback. And the noise is really unpleasant. I think I can live with it, but I try to use wipers less and Rain-X more.
Old 07-20-2005 | 01:20 PM
Instructor

Quite a coincidence as i have a 2 month old TL which does the same thing especially at low wiper speeds and it drives me nuts..... waiting to take it to the dealer very soon.
Old 07-20-2005 | 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't have this yet - nor did I have it on my TL. (knock on wood) hopefully your situation gets resolved quickly.
Old 07-20-2005 | 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just a wild guess here, but the windex may potentially be the problem. I use windex to clean my golf grips because it makes the grips "sticky and tacky". If windex sat on the wiper blade, it may have made the rubber sticky and hence the wiper "chatter". This of course doesn't explain why the new blades made the noise unless the technician at the dealership was being extra cautious and "precleaned" the new wiper blades before installing them. I have driven through several rain storms and have experienced no wiper chatter at all. I do frequent a local "touchless" car wash that finishes with a thin wax finish and this may allow the blades to glide easier. Perhaps the solvent they used to clean the windshielf cleaned it "too well" and contributed to the chatter?? These are the only things that I can think of. Good luck finding a solution.
Old 07-20-2005 | 07:40 PM
7th Gear

I saw your post about what you paid for your RL. How did you get your price? Who should I call at the dealer to buy?
Old 07-20-2005 | 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

As usual, my initial guess was wrong. I looked around and the concensus was that wiper blade chatter is caused by the angle that the blade is sitting against the windshield and the quality of the wiper blades. If the blade is tilted to one side or the other, it will work smoothly on the side it it tilted toward but chatter in the other direction. Most "experts" recommended twisting the wiper blade arm until the blade sits straight. For example, if the blade chatters when going to the right twist the arm in that direction. Better yet, let your dealer do this for you until it is fixed. The very long driver's side wiper arm on the RL is probably more difficult than most to adjust which explains your dealers lack of progress.
Wiper blade quality is self explanatory, you may want to try some of the silicone blades or top quality blades to see if it improves your situation.
A few sites also recommended Rain-X to help with chatter, but this seemed to be an individual preference. Personally, I have used Rain-X (mostly for the rear window) and found that it works well.